Make Ingress Prime a "Paid" app

2»

Comments

• MoogModularMoogModular ✭✭✭✭✭

Paying for an account isn't going to stop multiple accounts - look at any MMO that has a premium service and you will see bot farm problems present in many of them. If anything, adding a cost to having an account will simply create a demand for a black market.

However, if a premium service existed for Niantic's platform (not limited to one game) I would hope increased security would be a point. I was going to say maybe 2FA but we're at a point where Google is providing USB keys for login.

• VR item Lockers...

• h4sturh4stur ✭✭

I think that hoarding items of value is instinctual behavior. That has been ingrained within our prehistoric psyche. Other animals do it too. So whenever a game puts restrictions on the amount you can carry, people will have the urge to find a way around it. That will be difficult to prevent.

But in the case of Ingress you could for instance hinder its usefulness, by setting a minimum level of eight for the use of Quantum Capsules.

• VasatiVasati ✭✭✭

I've seen at least one suggestion for Increased Inventory. My only concern is where would they draw the line, and how much would that isolate players who can barely afford the cost of the phone? It would be unfair that some person who has a large amount of money has like 10,000 15,000 inventory limit and can just go around blowing up every single farm without running low on bursters.

I'm not sure what else they could offer that people could buy and I also think it's a bad idea. Too much odds of turning the game into pay to win.

• Jo0LzJo0Lz ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm curious as to what can be done about multi-accounting. It seems to be a way of getting an advantage that is not being addressed. This, and the fact that every Pokemon Go player seems to have at least one additional account, (and the community seems to be OK with that), share accounts across players and even have sponsored Japanese grandpa's playing with 20 phones, made it that the players coming to Ingress from Pokemon Go seem to have the same mindset. Confronting people doesn't work (they will tell you that you are taking yourself way too seriously, this is a game, blabla) and reports that get dismissed with canned responses, It's really demotivating.

That said, I'm sure this has been discussed internally already, I will patiently wait to see what the future will hold in this regard.

• **** no

• MajeyeMajeye ✭✭✭

Can't wait to see what more is brought to the Ingress Prime table!

• TheismanTheisman ✭✭✭✭✭

Its been suggested before but I and others would happily pay for a one way souvenir key locker, one where you can just store keys for random places youve visted once, never going to again but youve got a key for it and going to keep it as a memory / momento. Keys going into this locker could never come out so all you can do is view them and never use them, but like other key lockers they also dont count in your inventory

• KhatreKhatre ✭✭✭✭✭

The shouldn't have took off the verified part when you needed a phone number to validate the account.

One number one account.

• SoylentGrienSoylentGrien ✭✭✭✭✭

10,000 is overkill. An extra 500 would be reasonable but you can only get 50 at a time with a minimum wait time between purchases. And only available after you recurse.

• SoylentGrienSoylentGrien ✭✭✭✭✭

And you think it's impossible to get throwaway or virtual numbers?

• MoogModularMoogModular ✭✭✭✭✭

This was removed because it was Google implemented (uses the same verification process that Google or Waze uses). It was removed as a result of the Niantic separation from Google.

Also, the verification was easy to bypass with Google Voice numbers.

• OGMagusOGMagus ✭✭✭

The "3 pillars of monetization" in the other Niantic game, PoGo, is paid XP bonus, paid increased chance of "good" and sometimes rare "items", and paid access to "raids" (mikro-events). The one that is 100% technically compatible is "paid AP boost", but I think this is hard to implement in a 5+ year old game without driving out long-time players. Similarily, the most non-monetary thing they did in ingress is to allow free player-to-player item sharing, which I'm sure they wish they could backtrack. They testet selling L8 gear, but it went away real quick. I'll guess we'll just have t wait and see on this one - vote with your wallets!

• TheismanTheisman ✭✭✭✭✭

The selling of LV8 gear and Axa shields was a total dumb move in the first place, instantly turned it from F2P to P2W and got shouted down very very quickly

• I will not pay for in-game enhancements. Despite a very real need to the Key lockers, I would rather burn my surplus keys now and hack more when I plan to need them. One of the things that originally drew me to Ingress was the vow to stay away from Pay to Win philosophies. Granted, that was when Niantic was still a Google Subsidy.

That being said, I would gladly pay a monthly subscription to support the ancillary services of the game. Intel Map updates (Woefully overdue, BTW) and support application development. I'd gladly contribute to the development of new scanner faces, or a toolkit to help agents play as Operator and coordinate field agents in. (I have a dear friend who is bed-ridden with ALS who would make an AWESOME Operator!) I'd LOVE to have an add-in so I can use my smartwatch as an extension to my scanner so I can recharge my resonators or farm a nearby portal without having to stop everyone I'm with for 5 minutes. There's a smartwatch app out there, but being 3rd party software it violates Niantic's TOS so that's out. On the non-software side I'd be happy for my subscription to contribute to merchandise marketing and design. In-game stuff Like beacons I don't have an issue with, it's cute social enhancements that get players together. I'm not thrilled about AP rewards, especially after reading that someone recursed and blew a few thousand Toast Beacons effectively leveling himself to or past level 8 in an afternoon.

Keep Ingress Clean and Honest, Don't let people pay to "Win" (Ingress doesn't really have "Win" or Lose" so it's a funny term), let people pay to enhance the game experience itself.