Submission Map Idea

This may have been mentioned elsewhere, but searching is difficult.

How about when pinning a location of a new waypoint, the map shown is the duplicates map for reviewing? That way PoGo players can see what waypoints already exist before cluttering the backlog with duplicates, and Ingress players could potentially see duplicates themselves in case a location is a bit off and you don't see it, as well as being able to eyeball if it's too close to an existing portal or not from the overhead view.

What does everyone else think? Good idea? Bad idea?

Comments

• caytcayt ✭✭✭

I actually really like this idea. And it would address some of the complaints from POGO about stuff not showing in their game, so they think people are maliciously marking something duplicate that they cant see. @NianticBrian

• I have seen an increase in duplicates since POGO has been given access.

• HydracyanHydracyan ✭✭✭✭✭

Its a good Idea. Even greater Idea is Just made every portal became something in pokemon and stop this problem once and for all.

Apply the same distance/cell rules to every game is the best solution. If pokemon and future games can't support a massive amount of Portals in the same place, add this restrictions to ingress too! Leave the current database how it is, and future submissions will have new rules about it (maybe 30m-40m between portals).

This way everybody will be gaming equally.

• GearGliderGearGlider ✭✭✭✭✭

Having all the other portal locations on the “choose your location” map when submitting would make it too cluttered and difficult to accurately choose the location of your submission.

Would just be be better if players downloaded Ingress to see all the portals or Niantic lifts the s2cell requirements.

• We don't need people hammering Ingress servers because they don't want to submit stuff that won't benefit them...

I'm fairly certain that Ingress' load has already increased a lot by non-players

Besides, I know a ton of people (myself included) who only heard of Ingress thanks to Pokemon GO and started playing only to really like Ingress and get involved with the Ingress community and love the game. Why in the world would more people playing Ingress be a bad thing? Niantic can handle the server load of new players just fine.

edited January 2020

Accidental double post.

• That's easily fixed with a checkbox in the top corner of the screen that allows you to show or hide other POIs..

• If those people actually play/start to play, great.

If they are just using Intel to check what exists and where to place waypoints to benefit Pogo, then F them.

The latter is very common

If they aren't cheating, they're good. Mostly are... But they're cheating with good intentions at least.

• So people open accounts to check Intel what's the halm in that?

How many people in threads are complaining about how many duplicates they are reviewing? Surely someone taking the time to check what is already in ingress is a more productive way of managing there submissions. Not only that it would mean that they are not putting another nomination into a queue slowing other peoples reviewing.

It's a win win if you ask me. Would be better if niantic just opened up the cells so people who play pogo dont need to edit things to go in game.

• @Dazzz12345

So people open accounts to check Intel what's the halm in that?

Without the fear of loss, people think "Maybe a little bit of automation won't hurt", and then a little bit more, and a little bit more, and suddenly you have Riot level stalking systems with multiple bot accounts tracking every event that occurs on the planet.

Ingress doesn't make a lot of money (currently runs at a loss). If the cost of running the Intel map, because PoGo is flooding it with Intel accounts becomes too high, either we lose Ingress, or we lose Intel (which will result in losing Ingress).

Unless someone can track the PoGo users and bill them back to Niantic's other business units, then we bear the cost, at no gain.

edited January 2020

The best and easiest solution, win-win-win to everyone, it's removing the s17 cells and allow every portal being online in Pokemon.

• That would require work in PoGo to display them in a usable way.

• jontebulajontebula ✭✭✭✭✭

If the system automaticly detect deblicate both in Ingress and prime we cant send in.

• The basic principle is great, but I'm not sure how hard it would be to program. Logistically, if they wanted to prevent duplicates and ineligible submissions, I'd code the map for nominating to load with 20 meter circles centered on each existing POI. This would greatly prevent most duplicates as well as reduce ineligible nominations based on location.

• The maps are running anyway the fact people are actually using them doesn't cost niantic anymore money.

And there is no fear of someone losing a submission if people cant see what's already in. they will just keep submitting it and not knowing why it's not getting in meaning more reviewing time waisted. If they can see what's there they wont try to resub something.

Just sounds like you dont want more portals in game.

• The maps are running anyway 

The entire caching process that Niantic has been working on, is because the "map isn't running anyway". Every area that no-one looks at for 7 hours, isn't loaded. But all the bots that PoGo is running are keeping them cached.

people are actually using them doesn't cost niantic anymore money.

You don't know how App Engine or Google Cloud work then. Every work unit is costing Niantic money. Specifically, every work unit PoGo creates is being billed to Ingress, and the game that is already struggling to stop losing money hand over fist, is being charged instead of the one that had 900 million in revenue last year.

If they can see what's there they wont try to resub something.

Uh, that's the entire point of this post. To show them where the POIs are in a far more cost effective way, billed to the game that's actually using it that way.

Just sounds like you dont want more portals in game.

I swear you're listening to the soundtrack in your head, not what anyone is saying here. The whole post is about giving PoGo what they need to submit better, in a way that doesn't charge Ingress for PoGo's actions, and reduces the overall cost to Niantic as a whole.