In game tasks (like research tasks in PoGo)

PangarbanPangarban ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2019 in General

I'd like to see more activities that could be done within Ingress without affecting the current ways of playing. One such idea would be in game tasks, similar to research tasks they have in Pokemon Go. They might be something like, "Capture 10 portals", "Create 15 fields", "Capture 1000 MU", etc.

A small reward of a bit of kit, and a count of the number of tasks completed would certainly add spice and motivation to day to day playing. (There could also be an associated medal, but let's not get ahead of ourselves!)

Comments

• HydracyanHydracyan ✭✭✭✭✭

Agreed! Maybe even a medal for amount of completed task.

Another thing similar would be collectables (Pokemons in Pokemon and the pictures of registry's from Harry Potter). Ingress could have something like that too, based on the story, like cards from VIP, items, weapons, glyphs, etc. Just something more to do.

• grendelwulfgrendelwulf ✭✭✭✭✭

We have media files. I'd be inclined to keep some of them if there was a Media Locker I could put them in. I regret recycling the one Ingress Report that had video of myself doing goruck.

• jontebulajontebula ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2019

Faild category. Move to App Feedack

The same as pokemon: bunch of items we can get by regular playing anyway. But faster.

• LemoMcLemonFaceLemoMcLemonFace ✭✭✭✭

Have to say I'm not a fan of this.

Though it already exists in a way, missions and mission badges, then the associated badge for number of missions completed.

Not everything should provide 'rewards' to players, if you need stock, farm it.

What about the introduction of new collectables items? Could be lore related for us to do investigations.

• For lore related investigation i would suggest anomalys, NL-meetups etc., there is not a real need for a new collectible. But i personally really like the idea of a media locker, maybe with more special media related (like Nemesis)

• i like the idea of porting the research tasks from GO to ingress.

In PoGo there are bots that "spin" 1000s of Pokestops to see what the quest is and these are then plotted on online ingress intel style maps which users tend to pay for. You can filter quests and just go to the ones you want.

(I know this because the owners of one tried to sell this service to the users of the discord I'm in before they were booted out).

Depending what the rewards in Ingress are, you'd definitely have a simular thing in Ingress with some sort of IITC custom plugin. Something to think about if they did pick this design choice (which would make sense as it's implemented in PoGo which uses the same engine as Prime).

@ClumsyNinja abandon fear advance now

• RyantRyant ✭✭

I like the idea, I'd be happy if something like this came to light it gave out abit of AP and Story each week. Keeps everyone engaged in what is happening in the world of ingress.

• PangarbanPangarban ✭✭✭✭✭

There will always be players who don't want change. When missions came out, some players said they didn't need them. When glyphing came out many complained that it made the game less social. The thing is, nobody has to do these things.

We know that new game features are coming once they get the problems with Prime sorted out. The best approach is to support new ideas that we like. If anyone doesn't like this particular idea, it would be more useful for them to suggest alternatives.

• GoblinGranateGoblinGranate ✭✭✭✭✭

@PangarbanI like this idea. I have a twerk for it:

-Given a time lapse, you may hack an Investigation Media Cube, which will contain instructions to complete and will turn the Media into a passcode with some common/rare mods (items with no level). This way, no VR buffs will break the game, rewards will be somewhat usefull and it will be limited in time while giving players an excuse to play around.

I'd like to hear feedback on this!

@Pangarban I dont see or read Niantic plan for research tasks in Prime. We now have bonus from glyph and Ingress give us lots more items. From begining i Think about it to. But now when i think about it more i think Prime dont need it when Ingress gives more items. I think we can get something new to do. Soon we have adventure sync from Pokémon GO and we get items for walk.

@grendelwulf Ingress is about teamwork and hack. Soon we have adventure sync from Pokémon GO and we get items i think. We plan withe the scanner not Niantic. If we must do somthing in Prime for items i think lots of agents destroy plans for other agents have plan for big fields or small fields in city. I think adventure sync from Pokémon GO is extra good for the items and in the foture Niantic plan for new thinks we can do in app without get items. We get new levels and medals.

• PangarbanPangarban ✭✭✭✭✭

@jontebula this idea isn't a request for more items. I'm overflowing almost every day! It's a request for more activities to do.

The quests could give buffs instead of itens.

Ex: complete a task and get boost in AP/lenght when making link for x time. Or being able to send more than 8 links per portal, without using softbank.

As soon as you complete a task, it will be there waiting for you too redeem the boost and you are unable to do more task while there others in queue (like in pokémon).

@Pangarban I think we dont need it when we have mission. I think the new foture can get broken if we must do 3-5 links and block other agents.

• I think this sounds great - make sure the rewards are small - possibly just another badge and maybe some XM, but it provides another activity, another incentive to walk, and more _available_ ways to choose to play game, in the same was as currently players can _choose_ to focus their game on attacks, building opportunistically, building to grand plans, just following missions, focusing on completing a specific badge etc.

(FWIW Resources has something a bit like this in its missions, but Ingress's richer set of in-game actions could make this much more interesting).

edited June 2019

A task wouldn't give more than a regular hack, maybe like a successful glyphs hack. There is a lot of playstyles arround there. Some people don't enjoy sitting and waiting for 20min. Task would incentive them to do more action while also earning more items and AP without massive field making.

In pokemon I'm basically playing yet because the researchs and weekly prize.

• MoogModularMoogModular ✭✭✭✭✭

Call it "Agent Dossiers" for the tasks

Ever since I saw the tasks in Go, it's no question they will be added to Prime.

• CesparCespar ✭✭✭

It could be kind of nice just to have daily/regular tasks (link 3 portals, hack 10 portals etc..). Could potentially have medals for 100 1000 5000 tasks completed. As for rewards - maybe just something like beacons, definitely not something game breaking or OP. These tasks could be randomly assigned and not gained from hacking portals (someone mentioned pogo having bots who look for the research tasks, so randomly assigned prevents that)

• GoblinGranateGoblinGranate ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not quite sure about that, but it would definetely be nice to have them available. The name sounds good aswell :)

I think we all agree about not having too much reward for them xD

• I don't like the idea of bringing these into Ingress. It seems a like need for "instant gratification", and having to work the long-term objectives (and occasionally plan) for goals is what sets ingress aside from the other games.

Isn't that what the tiered badges are for? The (already mentioned) bonus for successful glyph hacks. The missions days, or anomalies or the monthly regular first saturdays. The glyph challenges. The yearly double xm birthday event. The recent Dark XM event... Cassandra Neutralizer... EX05 Controller.