[Feature Request] Bring back Seer

With Wayfarer in full swing, we're getting a "Discovery" credit for our portals, but there's no real badge attached any more. For many people Seer was an incentive to go out and find things. It also caused a lot of bad submissions but a few things have changed since then:

1. Wayfarer gets a far more diverse reviewer crowd in order to get better results.
  2. There is a fortnightly cap on submissions, so people have an incentive to make better submissions instead of wasting them on sock trees.
  3. The submission criteria has been expanded and far more things can be portals.

It would be a really nice encouragement to get people back out there, if the Seer badge could start ticking again, and give existing credit into it for the portals discovered since 1st January 2015. It would also allow another badge in the profile to be progressable again, instead of locked at an old and unchanging value.

Tagged:

Comments

• XK150XK150 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is there anything about Ingress you actually like?

• I have Seer Platinum and I do love traveling and submit portals. However, when the Seer existed I saw a lot of duplication and very poor portals being made in the begin of the game because most part of the players just want the badge, they didn’t care about the rules or the portals.

I would like to be able to keep improving my Seer badge and maybe now with the Wayfarer we could have it back but I still feel like we have more to lose instead of gain bringing it back.

• edited January 2020

Yep. 2012-2015 before they made all the changes that have nose-dived the player-base. Many of these requests are to bring back the things that we enjoyed when Ingress was popular...

That said, you ask for the game you want, and play the game you have. I just pipped 150 million AP.

We're not in the "Tell us what you like and don't want to change" category.

• With the restrictions on submissions now, people have to be far more careful not to waste submissions, if they're going for Seer levels. I feel like that alone would curb some people's enthusiasm.

• 1valdis1valdis ✭✭✭✭✭

No. Seer shouldn't return, otherwise people will submit everything and approve everything so that other people could get the badge.

• HydracyanHydracyan ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020

People already do that, just for the sake of having one more.

Bringing back Seer will actually help improve the Network. See, now will have competition with PoGo players. Giving ingress the return of Seer will incentive ingress players to do more submissions, and (it's not universal but) usually ingress players make better submissions.

The recon badge isn't a substitute for seer, since most player don't care for it, while almost every player want to create new portal every now and then.

• I disagree that we have "enough portals", but I see what you're saying. The thing is, those new playgrounds etc are Niantic's rules changing. The postbox thing, well the UK has gone a little absurd with their interpretation and Niantic has done nothing to change that, but otherwise, the approvals are all based on Niantic's criteria.

I actually think Seer would have a good effect on submissions from Ingress Agents, because they would be more inclined to seek out "easy wins" instead of using their submissions to cram more into their own local area with a high hit or miss rate.

• One other point on bringing back Seer. They should lower the requirement for Black to 1000 or 2000, to reduce the large gap of spam needed.

• HydracyanHydracyan ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020

Agreed. In the current format, 14 proposals every two weeks, equals 365 proposals by year, considering that all will be approved, it would take 13 years to get black...

1000 is already hard enough, taking 3 years at best. I'm didnt reach 500 yet, in two year. And I'm probably the second top submitter in my region.

• Well, taking my other suggestion of getting extra submissions from review agreements, it's more achievable too. :-)

• At 426 approvals it would be nice to get credit for them.

• grendelwulfgrendelwulf ✭✭✭✭✭

Another advantage to bringing back seer: any level 40 pokemon go players that are on the fence about taking up ingress will have a head start on two medals toward leveling up.

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

latest live video ezekiel hinted about seer...

• notomamikonotomamiko ✭✭
    edited April 2020

请 恢复 申po牌seer,给新玩家一个激励的理由!!!please give new agents chance to ignite their desire to keep on ingressing and recover the old agents come back. thank you

• XyinklXyinkl ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020

I agreed on seer's returning.

My point is, maybe tiers like "poor-normal-great" should also be introduced to portal submission.

And some sort of connection should be made between the seer and recon to improve the whole thing.

A portal submission requires 3 minutes or more to take pictures and write description. But a malicious reconer might ruin this submission in less than 10 seconds. Lets considering there are a group of players(or lots of bot accounts?) give 1 star to every submission they meet, their coordinated poor recon behavior might developed into disaster.

The limitation must be set to both side, so nobody can be irresponsible doing his part.

If you keep submitting garbage portals, your seer tier drops to poor, then your submission capacity will be frozen.

If you keep being irresponsible when reconing, your tier drops to poor, I know this is already in practice. But what if we introduce submitter's tier. If someone's submission pass rate is pretty high, and unlike others, you give a 1 star. Maybe your later recons should have some more discount then.

This is kinda protection, for those who keep submitting high-quality portals.

Personal angle, welcome to discuss.

• KarM3LKarM3L ✭✭✭✭

ergo, you were subitting just for the badge, if you really cared about the game you would of contined to submit after seer was killed

• starwortstarwort ✭✭✭✭✭

Not just for the badge, but yeah, new portal and a badge. I was very selective about which portals I submitted. It kind of irks me to see portals that I declined to submit on quality (or closeness) grounds being added to the game by others, but whatever. Four portals that I submitted (although another agent beat me to one of them) are now used in layered fields over the area.

Anyway... I posted that over three months ago. What suddenly woke you up?

• KarM3LKarM3L ✭✭✭✭

lol, someone else commented on an old thread ^ hence the comment lol, had spare time to browse recent comments lately :-)

agreed on the quality issues,,,

• Note some of the comments improve the original suggestion, such as having a permanent "1 per week doesn't matter your rating" submission.