Are URLs allowed in the supporting statement?

As of today, I thought so. Every single piece of support information clearly states that URL are not allowed in Title and/or Descriptions:

In general, all say the same: Do not use URL in Tiles and/or Description.

It was more or less common knowledge that URL were allowed in the supporting statement. We can all see that being an advantage for the submitter and for the reviewers. This way then can verify the info given and the URL won't be public when the portal is approved.

Today, I got a piece of conflicting information about this.

@NianticCasey can you please provide some direction?

Are URL allowed or not in the supporting statement?

If yes, can you add that info to the support materials?

Thank you

Tagged:

Comments

• NineBerryNineBerry ✭✭✭✭✭

It might be relevant whether the url goes to some general resource like Wikipedia, some news site or tourist information or goes to a private homepage in such a way that the submitter of the nomination can be identified.

• GearGliderGearGlider ✭✭✭✭✭

What was the piece of conflicting information?

• AgentB0ssAgentB0ss ✭✭✭✭✭

I feel like URLs in the supporting statement should be allowed, or alternatively additional supporting photos (screenshots) showing relevant online data.

Personally Ive rarely used URLs, usually for tough to pass things such as a very special unique restaurant in my area. However, I have debated it for a trail I recently submitted as the website showed on a map the location of the Trail Markers and Bridges and that would be very good evidence of the locations.

This specific case looks very unique and outside of the norm. This looks more account specific.

@NianticCasey Could you chime in on supporting statements and URLs?

• 0X00FF000X00FF00 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've occasionally brought up this subject in other forums (Reddit, Facebook, etc), where I talked about some of my historical submissions. If you're not from a 50km radius around me, you likely won't have heard about some of these things or why they're important. And so I'd occasionally include a link to websites, helping to put it into context.

EVERY single time, the silent majority just keeps being silent. And the paranoid few loudly post how they refuse to EVER open links from a Wayfarer statement. Not even a link to google maps.

And yes, some of them will then tag the entire submission as having an invalid Title/Description due to URL.

It's making it reeeeeally hard to submit that one last thing in a local park. ALL the others of its ilk submitted in my city were accepted after at most 1-3 submissions, so this last one is a bit ... grating. @AgentB0ss can attest that my submission is valid and shouldn't be taking so long, nor so many attempts.

Mind you, for SOME of the "all the others", in my frustration I'd resorted to a multi-paragraph near-essay. Which actually worked. But as Redacted is no longer available for submissions, that is no longer possible.

• I always include URLs to imgur, wikipedia and other sites in my comments if necessary. Which it is in the area I'm now since Google is useless. Also when I submit stumblestones.

• s3w2s3w2 ✭✭✭

Thanks @NianticCasey

Would you consider adding this piece of information to your support guides?

Something in the lines of "Submitters may share a link for more information on the supporting statement only. Reviewers are solely responsible for following those links."

• 0X00FF000X00FF00 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NianticCasey

That clarified, that web links are not forbidden, that gives a really sour taste for this player:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Ingress/comments/eolgyt/chaos_niantic_has_just_mass_rejected_all_my_56/

As always you are wonderful. Thank for for the assistance :)

• to be that guy

a link is NOT HTML.

Are you saying HTML is OK, or links are OK? They are not the same thing.