Criteria Clarifications Need ASAP or Please Fix The Showcase Algorithm

https://imgur.com/xPQrSsM

This popped up on the showcase today.

Comments

• AgentB0ssAgentB0ss ✭✭✭✭✭

I really believe the showcase picks a random newly approved portal. It has no care on what it picks. Ive seen awful submissions and fantastic submissions.

• s3w2s3w2 ✭✭✭

Definitely. It's a random selection. Don't know if they take into account the number of likes or pictures that each of these portals have.

• One would assume based on the page text "This Wayspot is a new beautiful example of a cultural or historic landmark that is easy to access for all." that it would be nominations that received high Visual Unique and/or Historic or Cultural Significance ratings

New POIs will only have a single photo and start with 0 votes though.

• s3w2s3w2 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020

True @tehstone but new POI are most prone to have issues than old ones with some votes and pictures. These are most likely to be OK.

• GendgiGendgi ✭✭✭

The "featured Wayspot" only pulls from recently created portals, @s3w2, and it's not necessary correct to imply older portals are "better," since Niantic has changed what makes acceptable candidates over the years. Additionally, "liking" portals usually is only done to promote a photo, not the portal, or to prioritize Gym status for PoGO players.

That portal should have 1* per the guidelines. Having it featured only encourages more nominations that are ineligible per guidelines and encourages people to vote against them. Which, in turn, hurts those who actually follow the guides.

• GearGliderGearGlider ✭✭✭✭✭

It's only a matter of time before a non-memorial bench or picnic table gets on the feature wayspots and then we'll dine like the The Shapers on all our new portals.

• s3w2s3w2 ✭✭✭

And that's why I wrote that older portals are 'most likely to be OK'. As we know, there are portails that should have never be live - old and new.

If NIA wants to make the Showcase as gallery of examples to follow then it should be curated and not left to a random selection of newly published portals.

• Don't worry, here's in my showcase

This should have been rejected as a third party photo. It's featured instead. I'm starting to think that maybe if I do the same I could save some data instead of trying to get the best picture I can.