WAYSPOT - video game stores

Local video game or even Card stores can be good wayspot? in this case i don' t mean store like Game or Gamestop.

In My city, there are store for nerds where you can play yu-gi-oh or pokemon Cards, Magic, Warhammer. DnD (or others role play)

also you can buy there Manga and comics.

So if i see that, i consider that as business generic?? or it's really a good wayspot?

Comments

• AgentB0ssAgentB0ss ✭✭✭✭✭

Did you know the "Shadow Realm" was a US addition? The original people legit just died, the US Dub wanted to make it a little less harsh of a show.

Back on topic, Video Games/Card Game/Game Stores in general are great subs provided they are not a chain store. Generally hyper local and are hot spots for the community to hang out and do events. However, they are incredibly hard to get passed. I highly suggest you get the best possible picture and really sell the store in the description.

• If it's a store that's not part of a chain (e.g. GameStop, EB Games, etc), it's a valid candidate.

It may be difficult to get it past Wayfarer review unless you can give some examples of why it's a good community gathering place (do they hold sanctioned weekly events such as Friday Night Magic, have they organized independent events for fun, etc. etc. and so forth).

• GearGliderGearGlider ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep! My favorite thing is when the "Millennium World" arc was dubbed, the "dark realm" Zorc was from was already set up in the dub thanks to the Shadow Realm addition. That was mostly a new realm in Japan.

• Ok, thank you for all reply, as i see i can try ( and i will) to create a wayspot in there. Most complicate it's to prove that is not also a shop.

• Ech0TomEch0Tom ✭✭✭

Independent video game, retro gaming, card/tabletop gaming stores make great POI in my opinion. Instant 5*

• Yes, technically it's a shop, but meanwhile like classic shop, is only go--->sghop--->2 talk---->go away,

here you can stay, play diffenret games, from card (yu-gi-oh, magic, pokemon or others) to warhammer fantsy or 40k, and also DnD or other RPG game play. of course there you can also see manga and comics, snack bar.

for these reason, is more than a shop, is a iconic point of nerds that go there to stay in a togheter.

• But it's not a generic shop.

It's not, say, a chain supermarket (e.g. Hannaford/Aldi/Lidl/Wegmans), or a car dealership, or a department store (e.g. Macy's, Target, or Walmart).

It caters to a specific clientele, and furthermore serves as a gathering place for said clientele (as well as hosting regular events related to that clientele's interests).

• oscarc1oscarc1 ✭✭✭✭✭

This might be a cultural thing, but where I am there are many of these shops. They are all the same, they are not a point of interest either. They sell products and entice people to come into the shop because that's the best way to develop cohesion, engagement and make sales. Their intention is to make money so that it sustains their business. If it were an openly available, free community hall that hosted such events, sure, the hall itself caters to the community, but a business doing the same thing is still just a business.

"It caters to a specific clientele, and furthermore serves as a gathering place for said clientele (as well as hosting regular events related to that clientele's interests)."

Car dealerships do this with new car launches or exclusive events, real estate businesses tend to host market information nights for the local community, etc. Under that argument a lot of other generic businesses would also meet the criteria?

What's to stop people from gathering at a supermarket and playing Dungeons and Dragons or whatever? Just because a shop caters to it doesn't mean you can't do it elsewhere either.

Also, many shops / businesses rent their space. Which means that they are temporary at best. Many of those gaming shops have closed and opened over time in my area.

If you find them to be culturally appropriate and of significance in your region, go for it. Otherwise, the disadvantages far outweigh the unique positives here.

>Also, many shops / businesses rent their space. Which means that they are temporary at best. Many of those gaming shops have closed and opened over time in my area.

If you're gonna be THAT anal about your definition of temporary, might as well reject anything in Florida since that's gonna be underwater in 50 years.

edited January 2020

Also, many shops / businesses rent their space. Which means that they are temporary at best. Many of those gaming shops have closed and opened over time in my area.

If you're gonna be that persnickety about your definition of "temporary" might as well reject anything in Florida or by a coast since that's all gonna be underwater in 50 years anyways.

• "What's to stop people from gathering at a supermarket and playing Dungeons and Dragons or whatever?"

The management. Supermarkets are there to sell food and various household supplies, not be a gathering point for a random D&D group. Try to play D&D at a supermarket and you'll likely get tossed out on your backside.

A local game shop, conversely, would most likely not only welcome the D&D group, but might even be willing to help them organize their games.

• 0X00FF000X00FF00 ✭✭✭✭✭

What are some local attractions? Niantic probably doesn't feel the need to enumerate them ALL, that's a ****'s game. But the reviewer crowd has proven itself to have a very big lack of imagination, and a demonic need to adhere to the rules, the rules, and nothing but the rules. Here's some things that are "local attractions":

• escape rooms
    • paintball fields
    • VR Wonderlands
    • laser tag

This being in addition to some of the explicitly mentioned ones like "museums".

I was very confused as to what a Vacuum Robot Wonderland was for a few seconds lol

• AgentB0ssAgentB0ss ✭✭✭✭✭

Completely agree with the addition of the question form, when we have debates on here if we all agree to ask the question, this questions seems more of a priority than a one off. So the more of us who ask for clarity on these situations hopefully we can obtain some pull to get a response.

• yanghao1yanghao1 ✭✭
    edited January 2020

I can see both arguments. If there are lots of them then not so unique.

What about other kinds shops? For example a ski shop where local skiers hangout or a car detail shop where local car enthusiasts meet up? Or a local restaurant where the women of the local rotary club have weekly meetings. Those might not interest the reviewer so should they be given 1 Star? Is it going to be 5 stars for the local video game store and one star for the Sewing and knitting store because the reviewer like video games but is not interested in knitting?

Curious about your thoughts.

• TheFarixTheFarix ✭✭✭✭✭

It's not about what's unique. It's about whether something meets the criteria. If it was about what's unique, then over 90% of all wayspots would be removed.

• TheFarixTheFarix ✭✭✭✭✭

Then why do we have all these non-unique things such as playgrounds, trail markers, post offices, sports fields, etc.?

• TheFarixTheFarix ✭✭✭✭✭

And how does that refute my statement that it's not about what's unique, but about about if something meets the criteria?

• 0X00FF000X00FF00 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m not sure which bit of my English is hard to understand. The playground meets SOME criteria, but it doesn’t have to meet ALL of the criteria all at the same time.

it is a very rare thing that is educational, adventurous, encourages exercise, is visually interesting, is a unique architecture all at the same time.

A thing can be “unique” and that is enough to become a wayspot. But it doesn’t HAVE to be unique and can meet OTHER criteria instead

• I'd say yes we have some of these types of shops already as portals already in game.

• HydracyanHydracyan ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020

Beacause there's more than just one criteria. There's also criterias of denying.

• That's the important thing that many reviewers seem to miss. There are criteria that make a wayspot immediately ineligible (private residence, K-12 school, seasonal, etc) but if none of those apply, it only has to fall into at least one of the listed criteria to be considered for eligibility. We have two locally owned game stores that have been rejected multiple times despite falling into more than one category for acceptance:

Popular local spots that you would take a friend visiting your community for the first time

where locals gather but are lesser-known outside the community

special nod to industries and networks that connect people around the world

It doesn't matter what you put in the reviewer notes explaining that the stores are unique local gems that hold tournaments and receive accolades from community leadership for the unique contribution they make to local culture. In the same vein, I've lost count of the number of art galleries and museums I've had rejected as "generic business" because, apparently, anything that is a business period should be automatically rejected.

• I had a sign marking the way to a university building unique to campus rejected as a "Generic Business " 🙄 I personally think if the business has an interesting local story [verifiable or at least believable with supporting info] it doesn't matter that it would b a generic business elsewhere... just my opinion