Ghastly flames surrounding the Portals in "Portal view" screen. Complaints and ideas

Hello @NianticScot , @RedSoloCup , all other fellow Ingress Players:

Since the beginning of Prime, i was called to attention by that animation of the Portal pictures, when you enter the "Portal Screen", the ghastly flames that sourround the picture, which is floating in the air.

I don't like this animation, and i think it's an unnecessary of data and power to our phones. I find it useless and annyoing, **** which has no real reason to be delivered.

I upload a picture of the flames and the particular screen to be clearer:

I asked some friends, also in the very useful (in my oppinion IUENG Telegram Channel) and some ideas arose in order to upgrade this issue:

-Remove completely the picture and the animation, keeping the screen as is.

-Keep the picture but with no animation. Framed just like the small image of the portal in the screenshot, in the upper right part of it.

-Use exactly the same "portal screen" visual appearance as the view in normal "Scanner" mode, only with buttons

-Implement UI options that allow to connect / disconnect that feature.

What do you think?

Comments

• yea need an option to opt-out from these animations.

• There should be a setting option to disable certain animations especially for lower graphic phones to handle the processing power needed. This will also help agents who are experiencing lag, latency and phone crashing due to the phone not being able to handle this. Other animations such as items hacked flying out of the screen and "portal flames" should be disabled for a low resolution option.

• I'm all for an advanced settings screen to enable / disable several graphical features.

• I love this flame. And I love also all the other animations. For those who dislike it, make a setting to cut animations. Dont remove nice stuff because someone is boring.

• 1valdis1valdis ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2019

Agree with OP, that effect doesn't mean anything useful and appears on random portals so it should be possible to opt out of this. I personally don't play on the scanner, I play through the scanner. For me the intuitive and quickly responsive interface is a must.

• Agreed entirely that they should be optional, both on the portal details activity and on the main screen. They look rather cool, but get old very fast, especially on the main screen in dense areas where they just serve to further obscure the stuff you're actually looking for.

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2019

I need to state, that this visual effect, is one of my favourite features of Prime, please do not take it away @RedSoloCup

• I noticed yesterday while recharging portals that the flickering flame gave me a headache over the course of about half an hour. Please give an option to toggle these animated effects off.

Thanks

• Seeing the flames in this thread gives me an idea: what if it appears in a bzzz sort of old television style? Like, a rectangle would suddenly appear in the air and show the image of the portal. I think that would looks sci-fi ish and fits Ingress better than the current ghostly like feeling.

About the image itself, I'm ambivalent about them. Sometimes they are a nice reminder of which portal is over there, like a sign that suddenly appear when I'm looking over my surroundings. I know what portal is there, but I don't usually remember their images, so when they randomly appeared it's like "eh that's pretty nice".

I'm okay with a toggle switch to the animation. I think it would lead to pretty much everyone turning them off though, which kinda defeats the point of it existing...

• starwortstarwort ✭✭✭✭✭

Seeing the flames in this thread gives me an idea: what if it appears in a bzzz sort of old television style? Like, a rectangle would suddenly appear in the air and show the image of the portal.

Yes, we definitely need more graphics on the map screen that obscure the unimportant features such as portals, links, fields and roads.

• Thanks to all ! Any additional comments are welcome!

• Please remove the flames! They have additional information.

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

Please keep them.

As already stated, this is one of my favourite things in Prime

• RostwoldRostwold ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm on the 'please remove them' side, if only for the battery drain and because they can obscure portals and dropped items behind them.

• En mi punto de vista, la idea de las imágenes proyectadas en el portal, es para que sepas qué tipo de portal es, es decir, los portales son cosas significativas de cada ciudad y la animación es para asimilar la proyección como en el anime o el promocional.

Sería una buena opción que en los ajustes pudieran desactivarla a quien no le agrade, a mi me gustan, las animaciones o llamas me encantan.

• I was excited to read that the portal flames were being removed in the latest update. It appears instead that the portal pictures were removed and the flames remain, and even seem increased!

What I would like to see is the portal pictures brought back and maybe the portal flame to pop up only on the portal closest to you with the picture. Maybe the flame could be a bit more brief. It could be used to get your bearing to the nearest portal in a dense portal area.

Maybe even the next closest portal could also fade in the picture and have a bit less flames than the closest. It's a cool effect, there is just too much. Especially after the latest update.

I'm fine with the portal flames and picture on the portal detail screen. It's just to much flames on the general scanner screen.