13 Archetypes: Listener

Comments

• Okay this one really has my head messed up. I tried breaking down both piano and keyboard lines into 1-26 started with bass clef and ending at the top of the treble clef. Not exactly sure if this is correct, but based off hints that’s what I started with. I also tried rearranging the 1-26 to try and adjust the alphabet associated with a1z26. I have yet to see a key word pop out to me. I’m also assuming the accidentals are changing the numbers as they would notes. I for some reason cannot see what I’m doing wrong and I feel like it is way easier than what I’ve made it out to be.

• This is in the nature of decoding: the rabbit holes are often themselves interesting. You might end up learning how to encode Braille or conjugate Latin verbs even if it never gets you anywhere; it is a scientific endeavor in that way. Often you leave a lot of bricks in the yard when building your temple of knowledge.

• uedinhauedinha ✭✭
    edited January 2020

The position of each note on the scale corresponds to one letter. When you view each position, it corresponds to a respective letter.

You have to draw the scale of "do,re, mi, fa, sol, la, si, do, re, mi, fa..". and match to "a, b, c, d, e, f..." then transcribe the drawing of the challenge for each matching letter.

Z and A are the same note in the middle. but make sure you don't swap the top line letters with the bottom line letters.

If it helps, use this image:

https://tinyurl.com/ygjvalmm

sorry XD

It helps for me.

• You may want to tinyurl that link; the forum's word filter breaks it.

• TyphoonJimTyphoonJim ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020

That last line... son of a.... If I'd seen it last night I could have solved it last night. I faked myself out for four friggin hours

Also, I do not know the "correct" method for extracting the known suffix from the last section, even though I got a working code simply by jamming something in, in a fit of pique.

• Indeed, once the keyword clicked - actually only part in one attempt - but found a transcription error - then had keyword and suffix and found another transcription error in the prefix... it does come quick once it clicks.... even if you do keep making transcription errors.

Good keyword

• tkh7tkh7 ✭✭✭

Have you managed to solve the puzzle yet? @IGindoI @Zorgul @Keyhole7 @KarM3L @iIluminatus88 @1Z4N4G1 @Klingew

If you need any help, you can Telegram me @teresakh.

• Thks for this, it helped me a lot!!! Now I can finally get some sleep... :-)

• tkh7tkh7 ✭✭✭

@Keyhole7 you were very close! Don't give up!

• F9bF9b ✭✭
    edited January 2020

I ended up solving it by working out the last letter logically...just like you would in a kakuro puzzle.

Then @quattro 's 1st clue on page 2 made perfect sense to me and it was quick to solve from there.

It's a long way from the bottom to the top?

Nah...going from the bottom to the top is alot closer than you think.

• It's a long way to the top because the top isn't where it would be if this were an actual score.

• Why would they be the same even in music. That's a big assumption considering this is a duet played on 2 instruments.

• F9bF9b ✭✭

Lol...I was using it to be more cryptic with my clue...but yes...it is both a long way and close according to your pov.

• F9bF9b ✭✭

Middle c is always the same note in music no matter wwhich instrument plays it.

• RTLQuietuSRTLQuietuS ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020

That may be true in terms of theory / tone. But think about it logically and physically.

You are pressing 2 different keys, on 2 different devices.

The Keyboard and Piano hints are literally there to guide you away from thinking they share a note, for those digging too deep.

They have no other purpose.

• NineBerryNineBerry ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020

The cleves are there and you have to explicitly ignore how they work in detail to solve this puzzle (but still apply the knowledge what clefs do in general to know that you need to decode the two lines with two different "keys")

• tired...

• What really made me stuck was also the fact of knowing to much about music. Even already trying to ignore it as much as possible, I didn't see or understand the first hint from @zi0f4t

Everybody was saying that we only should care about the accidents, But to make this clear: It's just like @zi0f4t said... they don't work as expected in music. In general... forget about halftone at all. They only exist in real music.

• starwortstarwort ✭✭✭✭✭

But 'keyboard' and 'piano' are basically the same thing, and (almost) whatever keyboard you have, it will have a middle C that plays at ~262Hz, same as the piano does. Now if one were 'clarinet', middle C would be a different note (but maybe that would be even more misleading to decoders who are also musicians).

• RTLQuietuSRTLQuietuS ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020

I plan on writing a blog series for the whole lot at some point. So would be happy to collate and collect all the clues I may have missed in this and previous puzzles.

I can definitely see peoples issues with diving too deep. I'd even say that the 'difficultly' drop of the puzzle in itself was deceiving after the previous puzzles we have had.

One method I had of decoding this one left me with "Ah 2 Mny Ha" which I didn't know if it was a hint, a troll, or both.

I think (with hindsight) that this puzzle would have benefited on having the treble clef on the bottom, and bass clef on the top. It would have confused muso's enough to probably get to the right solution faster.

• Finally.

Think about # and b