13 Archetypes: Listener

Comments

• starwortstarwort ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh yes, Michael Haydn. I found that (quickly discounted by dint of not wanting a "ſ" or a "ß" to appear in the results).

Frustrated though that I couldn't find any online description of Messiaen's "communicable language" - apparently you have to buy a book to find out about that. I probably wasted a couple of hours going down all those dead ends...

• I'd never even heard of it before the previous puzzle, but I found it quite the interesting mental exercise.

• ya, I also heard it here, then learned it via Wikipedia then applied to the challenge. an interesting experience for me ... especially I get media

• starwortstarwort ✭✭✭✭✭

Me too. I probably spent half an hour or more staring at that Kakuro wondering what to do with it before doing a search for numerical logic puzzles and happening to find a description and some rules for it, as well as the name Kakuro, on a big page of puzzle formats.

• I am simply saying start at the middle, not the top or bottom. You are welcome to dm me ~ if such a thing is possible in these forums ~ or discord message me HemlokHex#4451 and I can provide some help to the dedicated.

I am not great at this **** ~ I am a newb decoder, but I have done all the challenges successfully, and I like seeing people succeed, so I am happy to help those who request a pointer in the right direction!

• You are absolutely spot on. Tempo is irrelevant other than the rests showing you should be reading the opposing stave at those points. Accidentals modify in the same way as relates to notes, and the staves provide a counting method.

Start at middle c to zenith, nadir to midline. I think that's not too much info given it's been over 24hrs since release.

• 0X00FF000X00FF00 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm kind of surprised that nobody has posted a .mp3 of the nearly-unplayable music yet.

• So true.

All the comments are relevant, depending upon the angle you look at. And

Start in the middle, go bottom to top can both be right at the same time.

Discord message me if you are frustrated. HemlokHex#4451

• I'm close, I think. I'm pretty sure I have the correct index, now; there may be some gaps that need filling in.

• I will agree with others that the process is not a matter of skill.. it's just dumb luck. Sure, there's a process.. but as Nick Fury says..

"I recognize the council has made a decision, but given that it’s a stupid-**** decision, I’ve elected to ignore it."

Ignoring everything music related was the key to solving this. Even basic knowledge of how accidentals worked can mess you up.. As others have also mentioned.. they don't work the way they are supposed to.

There was a lot of potential in using musical notation as a cipher, but in the end, it was nothing more than a bunch of red herrings that would frustrate even the most amateur of musicians.

Unlike some others, brute forcing the known suffix was part of my process.. not being able to do that probably would have left me unable to solve this in a reasonable amount of time. That and honestly, the gibberish @GorillaSapiens posted actually helped a lot too.

• I quite agree, especially with the last line. Heck, I still remember the days of Perplex City and I Love Bees; the puzzles in those games made for some interesting times, for sure.

• Just to compile what everybody said.

So, they are not notes, the silences don't matter, the red notes don't matter, the missing beats don't matter, the durations don't matter, the green line doesn't matter (of course it's L2R). Other notations as clefs, bridges and instruments don't matter, only the accidentals, but they are not notes. This is not music at all.

And there is no standard enconding in this like Bach did: don't A-G.

Am I right?

• Notice that in the challenge there are notes outside the five lines and that your Haydn notation only has notes from the lower line to the top blank. Our challenge has 13 + 13 positions on the top and bottom pentagrams.

• Yes and no.

There is a standard encoding, but it's not what you might think it is at first glance.

• I do have telegram, Instagram, everything is under my ign. You are welcome to make a discord if you like to chat ~ we have a nice 200 agent discord community some friends and I manage, and of course, @BadWolf2014 huge passcode server!

• starwortstarwort ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree - it wasn't easy (and neither were the previous challenges). This one has probably been my least favourite challenge so far.

However, the gibberish you posted wasn't completely incorrect. Some of the letters were correct and quite a few others were only one off, if I remember correctly.

• good. now someone make a drum'n'bass / girlieband / autotune / ...[0] version of that mp3 and it will be in the charts forever ;-)

[0] these are just random words I remotely associate with music.