13 Archetypes: Listener

Comments

• tkh7tkh7 ✭✭✭

Hint: suffix is made of the last 6 chars.

(Basically, If you are trying to brute force convert the last four chars to 13AR it will not work.)

I suggest figuring out the method to get R and A. If you can get that successfully you can get the rest of it pretty easily.

• DrHydrosaurDrHydrosaur ✭✭✭✭

In music, middle c treble = middle c bass, but this is not music so don’t assume they are the same here for this cipher

• DrHydrosaurDrHydrosaur ✭✭✭✭

😂 I thought the same thing when I read that ... sadly Angus and Co won’t help you find the answer

• Finally found a sequence that helped me with the keyword and the black keys got it 100%.

• This helped me put it all together. Thanks for the subtle nudges.

• I thought that might be the case. Sounds like any advice they might offer regarding this puzzle would put us on the Highway To Hell.

(Or the highway to frustration, at any rate.)

• If you search the agent name in Telegram he is from Australia.

• I did it!

This task was the simplest of all. And at the same time the most difficult, because simplicity was very hard to see.

Knowledge of musical notation really bothered me.

• Considering that I got something similar, this helped immensely!

• Et est-ce que l'enfant trouvera le bon média ou il trouvera lui aussi the visionary au lieu du the listener?🙄

• This was helpful, thank you!

There are folks here who have shared very useful hints which I found helpful. Just gonna summarise them:

• Know the A-Z
    • Understand the lowest bass to highest treble
    • Take note of the accidentals
    • Not brute forcing 'AR' at the back

Additional decoding is required before the 'AR' appears. By then, the entire passcode will be quite in your face. Good luck and keep at it everyone!

Side note: I have zero music background who had to read up on the music materials first. Afterwards it is pretty much back on the usual decoding path.

• Counting is only easy if you have a proper index (mathematically speaking).

And I'm fairly certain mine is wrong.

Also, minor quibble on terminology here: working backwards from AR or 13AR - in this instance, at least - isn't "brute-forcing", it's a "known-plaintext attack".

(Of course, KPAs usually work best if you A: know what cipher is being used, and B: have a much longer string of known plaintext; a full sentence, such as 'If you value your lives, be somewhere else', would be ideal... what? It's a quote from Babylon 5!)

• oscarc1oscarc1 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lol Absolutely agree with you!

But this will only make sense to those that already went from bottom to the top!

• A wikipedia search will mention the common accidentals. They matter for this challenge.

• Yes!

Thank you, kind souls, for all the hints.

• @DrHydrosaur @GorillaSapiens Thank you both, you lovely people, you were my key to solving this.

• zi0f4tzi0f4t ✭✭
    edited January 2020

Though I don't like this puzzle, I think there are reasons to design this way.

13AR has been a known pattern to verify if the decoding method is correct. In this one many agents include me have tried to bruce force with 13AR. That doesn't work in this puzzle and I believe will not work either in following 8 puzzles.

In this puzzle, I believe some distractions are designated for preventing specific decoding method. I would love to see how puzzles have been designed after this event. @ATR0P0S is that ok for you to share after event?

• LightseagreenLightseagreen ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020

It was really not fun this challenge than the previous one, because didn't use real methodology to solve it, so I was lost for so long.

Tried to study some of the theories mentioned but was unable to solve them with it. Then try to understand the instructions here then fail, and try the others and fail again and replace my paper to write a new one, because I am not able to implement the instructions on my paper and still write the chords.

Instead of learning about music, it was instead solved by not considering this as music (musical notes / notes), but need to know with some symbols to facilitate calculations. Because this only needs to know where the number 1 is put to start it.

Thank you very much for all the instructions finally i got it which I realized very late. 😄✌️

Post edited by Lightseagreen on
  • I have to say, a couple of your points are true. Discard thoughts of intervals, chords, keys. But sharps and flats here work exactly as they do in music ~ they direct you one interval above or below.

So yes, consider sharps and flats. And absolutely read this as a duet. Those musical rules hold true. Discard any other musical refs - ie beat length, keys, etc.

And you can go straight to alpha, bypassing a numerical step.

Once you see the very appropriate keyword, you will decode it very quickly.

Try a few different ways of 'reading ' an alphabet into it.

Start at middle c ;)

• I still don't know what you guys are talking about.

I mean... tempo? accidents? lines? what are they lol

plus, frustrated with this challenge because the challenge doesn't give me inspiration.

yes, I love kakuro challenge because that was a puzzle, not like this.

• are you saying that in the pentagram of G the center would be a?

• Okay, let me see if I can help you out here.

The tempo is the pace at which the music is played (if I remember correctly, it's usually denoted by a pair of numbers, e.g. 2/4, 3/4, or 4/4; some faster-paced pieces might use 6/8 instead of 3/4 - this pair of numbers is the piece's "time signature"); if I'm understanding previous commentary in this thread correctly, however, the time signature - and, by extension, the tempo it represents - is irrelevant to solving this particular puzzle.

"Accidents" are symbols next to a given note that modify how that note is played; three common ones are the sharp (represented by ), the flat (represented by ), and the natural (represented by ), so a note written as - for example - C♯ would be read as "C sharp".

Lines are... just that: the lines on the score. Each line represents a given note (as do the spaces between them).

In the case of this particular puzzle, however, I get the feeling that the lines - and the spaces between each line - serve as counting steps, and the accidentals modify which number each line and/or space represents. (I may be mistaken about this, however, and I'm still trying to figure out how to index the count.)