Reporting Wayfarer/nominations/edits abuse is pointless

I have been reporting Wayfarer abuses through https://ingresshelp.com/ whenever I feel adequate. I do this mostly on:

1. Edits that are illegitimate, when someone is moving a portal to a false location and/or using the description fields to influence the reviewers.
  2. When I find a nomination for a fake portal and/or with false information/location and/or requests to leave the portal on a wrong location to create another pokestop

We are told to report nominations as Abuse, when we find one. As for Edits, do this: https://ingressama.com/ama/nov2019#50

Reporting these abuses is completely pointless.

I know from players that were reported and found 'guilty' of wrongdoing that the harshest penalty is 30 days without Wayfarer. This means that they will be unable to review nominations for 30 days but are still able to send nominations and request edits through their Ingress account.

This incapacity (incompence? lack of will?) to act on abusive behaviours from Niantic is clear on this example.

I have reported this abusive edit. This is a 5-side football/soccer court. The court is on the picture.

Before looking at the pictures, I feel the portal placement should be improved and removed from the field. Maybe on the corner or behind one of the goals.

----

On December 27, the player requested the move. From the court to the middle of the road! He added a request saying 'The correct location is by the tree/building and it will be on the correct cell since when I submitted I wasn't using IITC. Thanks a lot.'

I have reported this.

On Janunay 1, a familiar edit request shows up on my queue. It was the same portal again. This time, the player(s) are requesting to move the portal from the court to the middle of the road or at the sidewalk. No additional info was given. I have reported this also because it felt systematic.

Today (January 4), I have encountered it AGAIN. Once again, the player is requesting the portal to be moved to the side of the road and added a request 'Please accept the move to the tree so the portal will be in the correct cell. When I submitted the portal I wasn't using IITC so the portal was in the same cell of the existing Gym, you can see in IITC. Thank you and good reviewing.'

Whenever I report these situations I get the generic response, which I understand. What I don't understand in this case is when you see a reincident behaviour, a player admitting using IITC and ignoring possible warnings from the initial reports.

Why should players like me care more about the platfom if Niantic doesn't give a **** about this? I feel that there is no point in being honest or play by the rules when reviewing. They don't care and heck, might as well create hundreds of fake pokestops/portals for everyone. The community will love this.

/rant

Tagged:

Comments

• CybrHareCybrHare ✭✭
    edited January 2020

"Who's the more foolish, the fool, or the fool who follows him?"

I am not calling you a fool. Simply quoting that famous phrase to make you think.

Should the pin be as reasonably close to the waypoint as possible. Yes. Absolutely. Is it fair though that Niantic has now asked by far it's biggest player base to contribute to a system where a percentage of those waypoints will simply not show up? Thank you for your free labor, come again soon. The simplest fix to the problem of moving waypoints is for it to appear in game. The problem will not 100% go away. It's always been a problem and always will be. But it certainly won't be the issue it is now.

Just my 2 cents. Just getting my feet wet around here.

• OGMagusOGMagus ✭✭✭

In my area, we know of a certain town nearby where an individual (or more) are attempting to move POIs closer to roads/car access. When you review for a while, over half av the edits in your feed are location edits from this town. What we do, we that we check the Intel map and always choose the previous placements. It's disheartening to see that abuse reporting doesn't work, then on the other hand I am confident that I and the people I know, will outlast the bad actors.

• Ok so what I've noticed is if a portal has been edited in the past and and been rejected the description stays the same and does not get deleted from the list of options.

For example if someone has made a location edit and used the description edit for opr. When it gets rejected and someone else submits the same edit location and doesn't use the description the system will still show the previous opr message to the reviewer even though the new person to edit the location never used the description.

I've seen it time and time again that's why I think when you see a portal that has been tried to be moved multiple times you see 5, 6 sometimes 7 different locations.

Once rejected all should be reset by niantic.

• s3w2s3w2 ✭✭✭

You do understand that you're trying to make a case for going against the rules? You are asked to place the pin on the most accurate location for the object/POI. If it doesn't show up due to proximity or PoGo/HPWU cell issues, tough luck. That's how the games are designed. Accept it.

What's the next excuse? Spoof your real location because it's raining outside?

• I think you read that wrong. I'm making a case that all points should show up.

• Just accept that players are going to game the system if there is a system to be gamed.

• s3w2s3w2 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020

They game the system because - per the reason for this thread - Niantic's actions towards abusers are useless. If they would take stronger actions, some of these cheaters would be wiped out. Others wouldn't try the same tactics.

As a consequence, their precious BD is filled with fake portals, incorrect locations, portals moved around by the week, duplicates, etc. Quite a show.

• s3w2s3w2 ✭✭✭

I can only accept what is written and factual. You're daydreaming.

• I can only accept what is equal and fair. I do dream. I dream of the day when little people who get a kick out of keeping other people down for no other reason than their own self enjoyment comes to an end. I dream of a day when petty little people are not given a voice to belittle others for asking for equality. I dream of a system where there is no reason to try to modify or make adjustments because it is fair and equal for all. I dream a lot. I prefer that to the nightmares others seem to enjoy trying to force onto others. But, you do you.

• BTW. I recall a lot of people a year ago were saying that PoGO players were daydreaming that they would ever get access to OPR. I wonder what ever happened to that.

• s3w2s3w2 ✭✭✭

I've been terrible at that. I have only +25K wayspots approved with my reviews and if I wasn't too petty maybe I could have +50K.

At the moment, it's clear why some wayspots are visible and others are not. Yet, some people like to game the system to make them visible. With that, they clutter the queue with ridiculous submissions, fake portals, fake edits, duplicates, etc. We, as reviewers, have to deal with this **** on a daily basis. This is done by people who refuse to accept how things are. That's why they cheat. That's why we end up spending more time now going up and down SV because the submitter placed the marker 100 meters from its right location.

People who do this are not after showing one more cool object in their town. They're driven by having one more pokestop and one more... and why stop there? Make it 10.

If a point of interest is 5 meters away from an existing Pokestop are you going to miss it if you are walking by? It's not their point, they're just after one more. And if they can move things around without consequences, even better.

It's not a dream, but I really wish people would be more honest. That's just it.

• s3w2s3w2 ✭✭✭

Actually, that was asked many times during the AMA in 2018. People were expecting that. Niantic didn't confirmed it fully back then.

If things change in the future, for the better, perfect. But, as for now, accept what you have.

• There's a lot of noise so I'm not going to quote. Still about you..... 25000+ accepted, as though I'm supposed to be impressed? If you are tired of dealing with it on a "Daily basis" it's perhaps time to stop. Though I doubt that would cross your mind. I am certain you are one of the "last line of defense" types. Good on you. At any rate it's obvious that no amount of discussion will jar your high opinion of yourself and your low opinion of others who are asking for equality. All of this blah blah to simply say you were wrong in your initial assumption. Have a good day

• KliffingtonKliffington ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope you expend this kind of energy towards things that actually matter. This is how they chose to set up their games and they've given us a way to add to our own experiences but that doesn't mean we should disregard rules because they seem unfair. In Ingress there's a limit to how much we can interact with a portal. In PoGo we don't have that limitation.

• I'm sorry did I say to disregard the rules somewhere above? I suggested that all waypoints should be visible for everyone.

You did by excusing people gaming the system because it's "unfair"

• s3w2s3w2 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020

An update. Seems that the option to report 'Wayfarer abuse' was removed from https://ingresshelp.com/

@NianticCasey Was this intentional?

• HydracyanHydracyan ✭✭✭✭✭

Solutions in see:

bring every portal to the others games.

reload/reset waypoint everyday/way, recalculating Wich one will show up by each s17 cells. This way edits for this sake will be pointless.

• In my area the number of edits to bogus locations in order to move a Portal to a different Pokémon Go cell to create a PokeStop is bizarre... Hundreds. They're killing the best aspect of these games and I feel powerless to stop it

• s3w2s3w2 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the update. More than half of my time doing Wayfarer is:

a) Looking for the correct location of the nominations because players are gaming the locations with s14/17 cells

b) Dealing with fraudulent edits where players submit false, erroneous or redundant new locations and influence reviewers by adding requests to the descriptions

I really wish you could see how much **** we have to deal nowadays.

• HydracyanHydracyan ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020

I've report the same player about 20 times and nothing happened. Several portals that I created were moved for this sake, and the worst: some of this gentlemen don't even edit they back, leaving portals far from where they should be, the middle of the street, etc.

• s3w2s3w2 ✭✭✭

I feel your pain. I have seen portals being moved around and ruining the missions their in just because they can. We have come to a point where is normal to have two portals for the same POI - although this falls on the reviewers' fault.

• Back in the old pre-OPR days of portal submission, mentioning game elements anywhere in the description was grounds for immediate rejection. Could a similar rule not be put in place here? S Whatever Cells have no relevance to portal location, so shouldn't talking about them anywhere in your submission be forbidden?

• If they do any Wayfaring I'm sure they have some idea.

• s3w2s3w2 ✭✭✭

Update: I have encountered for the 4th time the same edits I posted in my original post.

I couldn't care less about reporting it because it's utterly pointless.

• RazorEcRazorEc ✭✭✭

@NianticCasey what happened with this?  The "Wayfarer Abuse" option does not appear at https://ingresshelp.com/

There are agents who are requesting fake portals with edited images or photo montages like the one attached and there is no way to report these cases. I have been able to report 2 of these cases but the agent or agents that are doing this continue to request more fake portals and Niantic has not taken action on the matter.

I'm confused about that Haunter one. It seems like a real place. Is it because the angle is similar to one of the Google ones?