Redfection - The XM Parasite
This is a suggestion for adding more gameplay to Ingress without cross faction events and to help out places where the player numbers are dropping.
The N'zeer and the Shapers are missing. The exogenous entities on the other side of the portals have fled from or been consumed by a failed experiment gone wrong. The NIA is unaware of who started it, or what the original attempt was to create, but the thing that came forth has consumed all minds on the other side of the portals and is now attempting to Ingress our world and do the same.
The exogenous parasite, known colloquially as the 'Redfection' has begun to break through to our world through weakly defended portals, primarily those that are uncaptured by any human faction. It's purpose is to feed of the mind energy of humanity using what we term 'control fields'. The mindless parasite will spread its influence across a region through links, infecting other portals, and opening them as new footholds into our world.
In any given region, the Redfection will spread by one of two means every 24 hours
- If there are no footholds into the region, it will focus its efforts on a handful of uncaptured portals, pressing their weakness to open a channel to our world through which Redfected XM can flow.
- If there are one or more footholds into the (scoring) region, it will focus its efforts on reaching out to nearby portals and infecting them. The Redfection will send out links to nearby portals of equal or lower level, and infect them. Portals that are captured, but weak are susceptible to the Redfection. Only the most powerful portals (Level 8) are capable of repelling the infection completely. If no new portal is available to a given Redfected portal, it will make its available links to any already Redfected portals that it can and create control fields to begin consuming the mind energy of the humans within.
Additionally, every 72 hours that a portal remains Redfected, its foothold will gain strength, making it harder to root out.
Do not be dismayed however. Humanity can fight back, because this parasite is an XM entity and we have the weapons and constructs to combat them.
XM Pulse Bursters and Ultrastrikes work as effectively on Redfection portals as they do on Enlightened or Resistance controlled portals. ADA Refactors and JARVIS Viruses are capable of cleansing a Redfected portal of its infection and returning it to the appropriate faction's control. As mentioned above the highest strength portals are capable of repelling the infection and a Redfected portal cannot link through the barrier of an Enlightened or Resistance link. Captured portals that have a control field already hosted by them, gain immunity from infection as well, with portals hosting four fields creating a total immunity to the Redfection.
Redfected portals also still function like other portals for generating XM constructs, however their output is reduced, and they cannot provide ADA Refactors or JARVIS Viruses.
Given the Resistance and Enlightened differing philosophies on XM constructs and the portal network, cooperation is still indirect and it will be up to each Agent to choose whether to coordinate against a greater enemy, or continue to fight two enemies with your faction's superior strategy and forces.
The Redfection will appear on the scanner with Red portals, links and fields. These portals can still be hacked, but will only output 75% of the normal output, and will not provide ADA Refactors or JARVIS Viruses at all.
Spread of the Infection:
Every 24 hours, the Redfection will spread depending on whether there is already Redfection in the scoring region:
A. If there are no Redfected portals into the Scoring Region, 5% of all uncaptured portals, randomly selected, will become Redfected L1 portals, with 8 L1 resonators. If there are no uncaptured portals in the Scoring Region, 1% of all captured portals in the region will become Redfected, starting with L1 portals.
- Only grey portals that have at least 4 portals within 5 kms of them are susceptible to infection. This prevents mountain top portals from covering the countryside from impossible places.
B. If there are Redfected portals in the scoring Region, each Redfected portal will attempt to link a number of times equal to its portal level using a series of options. Links cannot cross existing links, and a given Redfected portal can only link up to a total of 40 times.
- A link will be made to the nearest uninfected portal if available.
- Otherwise, a link will be made to the nearest infected portal.
- Redfected portals covered by a field will not attempt to link.
- Links cannot be longer than 5 kms.
- Redfected portals with 40 Inbound OR Outbound links will not attempt to link, and other Redfected portals will not attempt to link to it.
- Redfected portals will contain no Mods and any existing mods on a portal will be removed when it is Redfected.
- Redfected portals will not link to existing Level 8 portals.
- A captured portal that is Redfected will retain its existing level.
Every 72 hours all existing Redfected portals (not those being infected at the checkpoint), will gain 1 level, by raising the resonators on the portal equally to gain the next level.
E.g. An 87665544 portal will become 87666666 after 72 hours of being Redfected, moving from Level 5 to Level 6. An 81111111 Level 1 portal will change to 82222222 after 72 hours of Redfection and become Level 2.
Defending against the Redfection:
- XMP Bursters and Ultrastrikes work against Redfected portals like they do against the opposing faction. Standard AP will be gained for killing Resonators, Links and Fields.
- ADA Refactors and JARVIS Viruses will flip a Redfected portal to their appropriate faction. No AP will be gained for using a flip-card.
- A Level 8 Portal of either faction cannot be infected.
- Portals with a field attached to them gain a 25% immunity, per field, up to 100% at 4 fields.
- Redfected portals have no defensive mods, but will gain link mitigation based on their inbound and outbound links.
Redfection Scoring (A possible addition to the Regional Cycle):
Additionally, fighting the Redfection could be an additional scoring format, running on the same 35 checkpoint windows, with its own leader board and faction total.
- For each Redfected Portal killed the scoreboard grants a faction 1 point.
- For each Redfection Link killed the scoreboard grants 2 points.
- For each Redfection Control Field killed the scoreboard grants 6 points.
- Using ADA Refactors and and JARVIS Viruses does not grant any points.
- Winning team each cycle is the one with the most points.
The goal is to encourage people to play in whatever way they want to be beneficial.
- Destroyers can chase after the infected portals.
- Builders can field their area to protect it.
- Explorers can search out grey portals and deploy on them to reduce the infection rate or control where infections occur.
- Teams can build P8s in larger numbers to protect portals, or ring infections off with a barrier of P8s and 4 field portals linked around an infection site.
Regions where there are very few players, or very uneven faction populations will have additional activities to be a part of, or could even farm Redfected portals in a controlled area.
(This was originally posted a few months back here: https://community.ingress.com/en/discussion/4137/event-idea-ai-infection, and refined with discussions in @IUENG )