Intel Map Regularly Broken

Comments

• Likewise, still broken here. Can get a complete view of a small area ... eventually, after a lot of refreshes, and only in areas I know and therefore can tell there are portals missing from map.

• ZEXX3SZEXX3S ✭✭
    edited January 2020

Yeah it seems to be having a problem loading details from all tiles. in order to even see missing details you must zoom in and force it to refresh by moving the screen around a bit. Afterwards it shows the missing details. but then zooming out details that were being shown before disappear, and even after scrolling to make that area center it still may nor refresh as it should, and if it does again details that were being shown disappear. Very buggy. i will say that refresh times are faster, as well as load times are much faster.

@NianticBrian I think what you are doing is trying to minimize how many details from areas not shown on screen? To improve load times? What I think is happening is the AI isn't properly knowing which details to show. Meaning the area size isn't congruent with the size of the Zoom Level as it should be. As well the AI is lingering on the last known zoom to show details and isn't expanding to and showing details from the new Center of Page withing that expanded Zoom Level.

• ZEXX3SZEXX3S ✭✭
    edited January 2020

@NianticBrian I think what you are doing is trying to minimize how many details are loaded that aren't on the visible page. To improve load times? What I think is happening is the AI isn't properly knowing which details to show. Meaning the details area size isn't congruent with the size of the Zoom Level on the visible page, as it should be. Its as if it's still zoomed in on a small area of the Intel Map. As well the AI is lingering on the last known zoomed area to show details with and isn't expanding to and showing details from the new Center of Page within that new expanded Zoom Level. Now if you zoom into to area that is lacking details such as portal, it will (sometimes after a refresh sometimes the refresh happens automatically) suddenly show those details. This should be the new center of map. If you expand out from here it will only show those details that were on screen and might load a few more that were just out of map view at the lower level zoom. But most details won't show. Now if you move the map left or right, it will linger on the old zooms center of page. When the Map reloads new details it won't show the old ones nor any new ones not zoomed center of map. It's like it's choosing a new center of map at the lowest or second lowest level zoom and only showing those details within that zoom level even though you are expanded out. Not sure what it looks like expanded out to max, but if you follow a link for a portal or type in a zip code you'll be able to repeat the bug over and over again.

• ZEXX3SZEXX3S ✭✭
    edited January 2020

I've expanded my message to @NianticBrian . I think what you are doing is trying to minimize how many details are loaded that aren't on the visible page. To improve load times? What I think is happening is the AI isn't properly knowing which details to show. Meaning the details area size isn't congruent with the size of the Zoom Level on the visible page, as it should be. Its as if it's still zoomed in on a small area of the Intel Map. As well the AI is lingering on the last known zoomed area to show details with and isn't expanding to and showing details from the new Center of Page within that new expanded Zoom Level. Now if you zoom into an area that is lacking details such as a portal, it will (sometimes after a refresh sometimes the refresh happens automatically) suddenly show those details. This should now be the new center of map. If you expand out from here it will only show those details that were on screen and might load a few more that were just out of map view at the lower level zoom. But most details won't show. Now if you move the map left or right, it will linger on the old zooms center of page. When the Map reloads new details, it won't show the old ones any longer nor any new ones not zoomed in the center of map. It's like it's choosing a new center of map at the lowest or second lowest level zoom and only showing those details within that zoom level even though you are expanded out. Not sure what it looks like expanded out to max, but if you follow a link for a portal or type in a zip code you'll be able to repeat the bug over and over again.

• That isn't it. The details they're trying to show are the same, but the caching is failing to load the data from the game servers, while simultaneously telling the client "Here's everything" and returning a blank packet.

• But that's essentially what i'm saying. You can move around and it will only, as you say, cache a certain area but won't load anything. It's only showing details from a certain zoom level as if you were in that lower zoom level even though your expanded out. i think this was on purpose except it's not work like it should. They don't want to cache unnecessary information. But now it's like they aren't caching enough even though the info packets are there. It's like the code for whats to be shown on page is being ignored because it's being told to, because they are trying to reduce user side load times. Because all of this is loading wayyyyy faster than normally does.

• I mean this is wrong:

I think what you are doing is trying to minimize how many details are loaded that aren't on the visible page.

They haven't changed anything about what the Intel map should be doing. They just broke the how it does it while moving infrastructure.

• Up to now I have used Intel a lot to decide on where I go to play. I found interesting places with lots of portals or areas with opponents portals to take over, also places with just a few portals to find new POIs to suggest. If Intel does not work, all this will be very difficult and not supporting my style of play.

I hope the problems with Intel will be fixed soon.

• I wrote b r e a k. Why are there **** in my post?

• As Intel reacts up to now, the problem is not fixed at all. Sorry, but at the moment Intel is not usable. It does not show all the portals and does not load in a reasonable time.

• after several "hard refreshs"...

• Where are the Portals? There are at least 30 in this area 🙄

• Maybe this helps

• edited January 2020

Those are both warnings for the Google Maps API. One is saying that the Sensor parameter is no longer required (but does nothing), and the other is stating that the version sent has been retired. These are minor update corrections regarding the background tiles, and have nothing to do with the constant failures of data coming directly from Niantic.

The current issue is that the getEntities, getPlexts, getRegionScores and getPortalDetails API calls are returning {} (look for an 83 byte message), when they should be at a minimum returning {"success":true} and more commonly {"result":<all the loaded data>}.

The Stock map does not retry these blank requests, and thus ends up with a piecemeal appearance because the requested tiles and other information were simply never provided.

IITC-CE attempts retries on any requests that return blank, which is why it takes so much longer to load, but also loads more data.

This is completely on Niantic and nothing to do with Google Maps.

EDIT: Note - On Stock you'll see a message Unchecked runtime.lastError: The message port closed before a response was received. and a count on the left of it. That's how many messages failed, and Stock just ignored.

• lokprolokpro ✭✭
    edited January 2020

"****" -> ****

"Why? Is NIA really trying to **** the game"

• edited January 2020

Yes, the word you want starts with a k.

Destroy -> d estroy

Shoot -> s hoot

Kill -> k ill.

(no-one understands how the censor works, including Niantic)

• test:

destroy

shoot

kill

• Looks like the above meantioned fixes did not resolve the Problem. Still not getting all Portals i belive i should get. 😥

NIA What about rolling back whatever you have done (or fix it if that is quicker)

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020

dont they have system that tells something is wrong ? just rollback, restart server and the usual things u do when software acting up....

i guess the intel servers are related to prime because last days i must start app 5-10 times because i get faction choice when log in so annoying....

Krug has quit and things are just a mess it seems now :(

• kuprumkuprum ✭✭✭

@NianticBrian can you update us about this 1 month long problem, after you finish to change profile pics on social networks , please?

• This has been happening since November 26th. It's just taken longer for people to notice, and it's gotten worse with each "fix".

• And more errors... Looks like some serious miscommunication between game- and webservers,

• rz231rz231 ✭✭✭

This kind of not-communication from Niantic is (almost) more annoying than the error itself.

• Jo0LzJo0Lz ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh come on. Randomly opening stock intel and viewing any area will give you the update you are now requesting from users. Intel is on it's **** for weeks now, and the problems increase and don't decrease.

Yes, there are still errors. Yes, when you open regional scores you get a cooldown. Still going downhill.

• Intel still with issues. Several portals are not showing, linking its not working properly, when I touch a portal it takes a lot to load the link button to another portal(Intel not scanner.)