I want a 3rd Faction. Am I alone in this?

I really like the idea of 3 or more factions, as it will give you the old 'Good, Bad, Ugly' kind of showdown in neighborhoods that have grown stagnant in the two-party system. I for one see plenty of space for 'extremist' or 'religious cult' factions that are tired of the two primary factions working together. I'm sure there are 90 threads all saying the same thing, but wouldn't this be a fun way to shake things up? Wouldn't it be fun to have red portals?

Comments

• The problem is that your logic does not actually work in the real world.

In a place where 1 team is dominant, adding a third faction may have a temporary bump, but then it will return to one team being dominant.

In a place where there is regular competition, the two larger sides will team up and crush the smallest side, then go back to fighting amongst themselves.

Even if the two weaker teams join forces, once the stronger team is crushed, they will turn on each other, and we'll be back to a single faction dominating.

Your logic seems sound to you, I'm sure. But it is not how three way competitive teams work, and it never will be.

• If you really want a 3rd faction who will shake things up and keep people active, support this:

https://community.ingress.com/en/discussion/7781/redfection-the-xm-parasite

• Apoyo una 3ra facción soy res pero no me siento identificado como varios, solo Nia debiera designar como sería las reglas del juego , por algo llegó némesis y unir ambas facciones para eliminar nemesis y no lo lograron la nueva investigadora de chile astrofísica yuri puede investigar un meteorito que llegó la coordillera chilena que campturo o indujo la inteligencia más aya, para transformar agentes en una tercera facción, los agentes que no se sientan representado pueden pasar, y eligir que faccion apoyar según. Su comunidad

• I support a 3rd faction I am res but I do not feel identified as several, only Nia should designate how the rules of the game would be, for something came nemesis and join both factions to eliminate nemesis and it was not achieved by the new researcher of astrophysical chile yuri can investigate a Meteorite that arrived at the Chilean coordinator that campturo or induced intelligence beyond, to transform agents into a third faction, agents that do not feel represented can pass, and choose which faction to support according to. Their community

• 🤨 I honestly don't understand the arguments against... don't multi-acctrs already create an opposite faction acct to tear down their own portals? and reducing the competition? is a race between 2 runners less competitive than 3? I think it would create an interesting complexity...is the 3rd conscientious objectors? playing sides like mercenaries? are they sympathetic to one side or the other?

tbh I wondered this when I first started playing... and no matter what areas will have majority factions... and that shifts...

btw pogo has 3 .....and they've actually argued for a 4th 🤣 I say give Ingress abit more color cause its currently very black & white [aka blue & green lol]

• HydracyanHydracyan ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020

In pokemon the amount of teams don't matter, as long as there somebody to faint your pokemon and you get the coins. And if there's none, almost every have multiple accounts and could doit themselves. They can create green, gold, silver, black, white, etc. Will change nothing.

In ingress, however, will dilute the teamwork. But in big areas with many players, will most likely increase possible actions, since (if evenly distribute team members) you will always be in disadvantage of 1/3 against 2/3 of enemies and portal/links to destroy.

• GoblinGranateGoblinGranate ✭✭✭✭✭

I would like to see a 3rd faction, but I honestly think that it would create more problems and solve none.

But I'd still like it :)

• I like the idea, I just don't think there are enough players in the game to allow it to work outside of the busiest areas.

• GreenVamGreenVam ✭✭✭✭✭

Nia can flip 1/3 enl and res in to nemesis)))

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

in dead areas where only 1 team plays or control a third AI faction could spice things up a bit perhaps..

• I still see only speculation and no real proof a 3rd faction would dilute anything...I do see an opportunity for there to b a change to the game that might bring in more players...

change could bring disaster but it can also bring some excitement... that, i'm sorry,...but this game badly needs

• The only way to get proof that a third faction would dilute the playerbase is to add a third faction. Anything up until that point is going always going to be speculation.

• 🤣 ur understanding of pogo needs alot of updating...by almost 3 yrs

...both games have the same issues with team/faction distribution in smaller areas...a new faction would change nothing there...just like the 3rd or a 4th team would

because there is no actual quantifiable proof of either outcomes...why not go for something new? what is there really to lose? the depletion of the playing pool is already drying up according to most of the posts arguing against..what if this turns that around?

• why not go for something new? what is there really to lose?

a) The playerbase is already so small that splitting it a third time will make the problem worse not better. We need to have a larger playerbase with more concentrations of each faction, so that they can get 8 players together. If you had 16 players evenly between two teams, they can build high level portals. If you have 3 teams, you have 5 people on each...

b) The majority of people who want to "jump" to a third faction, are people who don't want to associate with either faction. But since other people from either faction would also be jumping, suddenly you have third faction that either doesn't want to associate with each other, or contains people who don't want to be in a faction at all. A third faction introduced this late would become filled with the rogues, trolls and outcasts, and would not create a cohesive team.

c) What are the benefits? There are plenty of things to lose, but no-one has provided any actual benefits to a third team except for "it would change things." That's not a benefit, and the expected outcomes are negative, so changing things in this way would be bad.

All that said, a 3rd AI-only faction that provides an enemy without issues of recruting or cooperation within the 'faction' would be a far better way to shake up gameplay and provide more activity.

Ultimately, humans suck at making cohesive tribes.

• edited January 2020

*duplicate post* (I thought it had eaten my last response)

Post edited by Perringaiden on
  • HydracyanHydracyan ✭✭✭✭✭

🤣 ur understanding of pogo needs alot of updating...by almost 3 yrs

Nope. I keep seeing people with 2 phones, splitscreen each, gyms and raid list full of "somename1" and "somename2" followed by "TheCoolSom3n4m3", etc. Teams there means nothing, almost everybody has 2 accounts, of different team to defeat you own pokemo and get the coins. Add 2 more team and will have zero impact on gameplay.

• That could work years ago (2012-2015-6) when there were a lot of newcomers daily but these days where majority of older players are playing this game would really tip the ballance the wrong way in my opinion....

• In most places game is not competitive at all. Either one faction dominates and other mostly quit... or worse both factions in agreement and trading portals between each other.

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

a AI faction could help in dead areas, but not adding a third playable, that wouldnt work today imo.. maybe 3 years ago when player base was higher maybe.. but not today sadly...

• Let green and blue as npc factions and let players create their own factions