Since when is ART a "generic business"?

cmonineedanamecmonineedaname ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2019 in Wayfarer (Archive)

Finally had my first local review completed since May without an upgrade (yay progress!), only to be dismally disappointed that the garage door MURAL I nominated at a local shop was rejected as generic business (and no safe pedestrian access in the parking lot).

This isn't my first issue with ART being rejected for blatantly incorrect reasons. When is Niantic going to give us a way to fight this laziness? This may not be the most elaborate eye catching thing in the world, but tell me how this is generic business and unsafe pedestrian access?

For reference, this is RIGHT by their usual foot traffic entrance.

Comments

• oscarc1oscarc1 ✭✭✭✭✭

Without any further context than that photo, I wouldn't be able to guess what that image is trying to depict. Is it a conveyor system, is it a treadmill? No idea. Furthermore, it looks like it's on somebody's garage, which may mean it's on residential property or a big garage door for a business. If it's for a business, is it part of their logo? That might be why it's been rejected for being part of a generic business.

There is a lack of context here for us to properly provide our opinions. The above is what I might be able to deduce. Either way, the "art" itself is as uninteresting as you say. I would personally look elsewhere to submit better things that have actual historic or cultural value.

• Straight from the "high quality" criteria page

"A cool piece of art or unique architecture"

I guess cool is subjective, but imo is being overly scrutinized if this is the case. What makes artwork "cool" enough? Somebody obviously spent a fair amount of time making this art. Because they aren't professional level painters makes it less worthy?

Requested Context:

1) It's at a bagging company that has something to do with food distribution or processing. Again the ART is the nomination, not the business.

2) Original post already said it was a business's garage door. I added afterward that it's immediately adjacent too the foot entrance. Pedestrian access at a building people can enter from the nomination is a completely incompetent rejection.

3) It isn't a logo. It is an artistic representation of what they do (I guess anyway). There is no sign or insignia anywhere else that looks anything like this.

• TheFarixTheFarix ✭✭✭✭✭

Without knowing the context, I can't say if this was wrongly rejected or not (randomly picked rational aside). I remember a very nice mural I saw painted on a wall that I was giving high marks to until it came down to pedestrian access and confirming location. Then I realized it was on the walled up garage door of a house in California. To say the least, I though about creating a meme out the nomination and my reaction when I discovered that it was ultimately ineligible.

• Said in 2 posts already it's at a business. Door on right is foot entrance

• grendelwulfgrendelwulf ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, that's a generic business.

• grendelwulfgrendelwulf ✭✭✭✭✭

Because it is an ugly simple stencil painting representing an generic business.

• Being a painting you consider ugly doesn't make said painting a business.

• I would question whether that even qualifies as art... I also am not a big fan of random graffiti submissions (many of which are obvious vandalisms and disapear within months)

• Do you mean qualifies as a waypoint or as art period? There's 0 doubt it's art, even if it's not extremely impressive.

• One mans art is anothers trash and all but yes I stand corrected

I prefer portal candidates that are unique vs ones that are mass produced (eg electric boxes that are painted, graffitti wall arts, even some agents wallpaper parks by adding every single sign so you end up with too many non unique portals)

• kholman1kholman1 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020

This comment is such hogwash. Those murals are not mass produced. Come on now. I wish some people would just understand not everything is going to be to their standard. I have not seen duplicates of the power box murals. Quite frankly this whole nostalgia of it is has to be so perfectly unique is outlandish. They ask for a certain standard and when people meet it we still have too many portals? Really tired of it I mean even when people try to certify areas to the standard and go for what is right people still complain with playgrounds, baseball fields etc. I don't get it. The amount of abuse since wayfarer/OPR reopened has been small. People are reporting but at what point do people just allow vote yes to what is in guidelines instead of throwing around comments saying they want to have less portals? It is okay for parks to have 20-30 portals if done right by the guidelines. Uniqueness is only a part of submissions niantic allowed mass produced things for a reason as exceptions to the rules for a reason.

• TheFarixTheFarix ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought this was suppose to be a group of walking game. How did Andrew put it one time? Adventures on foot. Why would Niantic do something that is completely counter to that philosophy?

• Everything is a Generic Business to the Wayfarer hivemind. Mural? Church? Park? Sculpture? They can all be designated as Generic Business if you perform enough mental gymnastics.

People who habitually miscategorize rejections (or on the other end of the spectrum 5 star everything like they're giving away Halloween candy) need to be given more than simple cooldowns. They need to be given Red Strike warnings similar to Pokemon Go spoofers, as they are arguably causing more harm to Niantic's platforms than GPS spoofers are.

• kholman1kholman1 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020

I am actually seeing the quality tighten up in my area rejections even if not perfect show some are looking at things even if it is a little harsher than what the guide states. I got a rejection for a wildflower area sign that is across a park road with 20mph that the sign is an area for people to go walk to and look at the wildflowers got hit with does not meet criteria, natural feature, and no pedestrian access which honestly shows people are looking for sidewalks but at the same time some are just finding reasons to deny a sign about wildflower areas is not natural feature. 🤷‍♂️

• Rejecting things harsher than what the guide states is not improving the quality of anything, or did I misinterpret that sentence?

• I think you are misinterpreting it.

If someone's judgement is more stringent than the guidelines require, then - at least by my reasoning - anything they approve is more likely to fall well within said guidelines than things which are approved by someone whose reviewing is a little more lenient.

• Just to pick the 1 piece out; haven't you though?

Something like a power box exists on EVERY single block of a street. We can't really argue which paintings look nice, which suck, and which are outright vandalism.

Things like painted power boxes are moving into the genre of mass produced commercial art and are just pointless by this time

Murals on walls are a bit better since not as common but the issue then becomes half of them are obvious advertisements for generic businesses with no (or very limited) actual artistic merit and the other half are non permanent installations by street artists that are cleaned off in a couple of months.

I really am of the mindset that if it is not sanctioned by the city or at least signed / plaqued it really should not be in game

• Here is a strange one. According to the second photo the garage door is open and mural is hidden. The mural is not always visible. How often is the garage door open? Could almost be classified as a seasonal or temporary item (it’s not there all the time). It’s moving and items that are not fixed aren’t they to be rejected like a vehicle/boat etc?

• Does a painting disappear off a door when it is opened? Does the door leave the doorway? No. It's in a fixed location regardless of if it is open or shut.

And conversely, they are wasting people's nominations and reviewers' time by rejecting qualified candidates that people will resubmit. Wayfarer doesn't benefit from that behavior.e

• Counterpoint: the more stringent reviewer is likewise less likely to allow low-quality candidates to get into the POI database.

Higher quality POIs are a net benefit for all involved.

• A more stringent reviewer is equally as bad as as a loose reviewer. Both are making up their own criteria for their own personal reasons. Both people believe that they are doing it for the "benefit" of the system.

• I'd rather have someone reject a nomination for potentially conflicting with the guidelines than have them accept it only for the accepted nomination to wind up causing problems further down the line.

Then again, I tend to err on the side of caution myself.

• I'd rather have someone who follows the guidelines. Potentially conflicting does not mean accept or reject. 3*

• Just to pick the 1 piece out; haven't you though?

Something like a power box exists on EVERY single block of a street. We can't really argue which paintings look nice, which suck, and which are outright vandalism.

Things like painted power boxes are moving into the genre of mass produced commercial art and are just pointless by this time

Murals on walls are a bit better since not as common but the issue then becomes half of them are obvious advertisements for generic businesses with no (or very limited) actual artistic merit and the other half are non permanent installations by street artists that are cleaned off in a couple of months.

I really am of the mindset that if it is not sanctioned by the city and signed or plaqued it really should not be in game....

• KliffingtonKliffington ✭✭✭✭✭

This comment contradicts itself so much. The city is the one who tends to commission those power box art pieces and regardless if the art is not mass produced (as in the same art on a poster and not handpainted) then it doesn't matter that the power box is mass produced. The art piece is the submission. We aren't judging based on our personal artistic preferences. Rate based on the guidelines which we've told you many times. Density is NOT a factor.

• Svizac28Svizac28 ✭✭
    edited January 2020

OP you said it clearly yourself: "garage door MURAL I nominated at a local shop"

It could be the most beautiful mural in the world, if it's on the wall of a shop, it's still Generic Business.