Local Radio stations

@NianticBrian@NianticCasey

Are radio stations in or out?? My local radio station has a open studio that local celebrities present from. They also provide local news event and information. Do they qualify?

Thanks.

Comments

• Any ideas? @RedSoloCup

• Yeah I thought they might be but wanted to make sure unfortunately we only have the 1 lol.

I may be wrong but I think the radio towers were once acceptable as well. Just wanted to check that the actual radio station its self was eligible as well.

• TheismanTheisman ✭✭✭✭✭

Never seen a radio tower or ever heard that they were acceptable. However wouldn't have any problems accepting an actual local station, quite a few have tours, and are important in the local community etc

• Dazzz12345Dazzz12345 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019

Think it was in the guidelines a year or so ago.

Yeah this one has tours and 2 open studios into the street that you can see though the window. Is actually really cool in a geeky way lol

• GendgiGendgi ✭✭✭

@Dazzz12345 it you include all the right buzzwords (nod to communications and connecting people, offers tours, encourages & hosts public events) I would 5*. If the substantiation was "need portal/pokestop" I would 1* generic business.

I think it definitely should be eligible, and good luck!

• That's bad reviewing, to be blunt. A 5* candidate does not become a 1* candidate because you don't like the submitter mentioning Pokéstops or portals in the supporting statement.

• GendgiGendgi ✭✭✭

I disagree, @FuzzySun. Nominations should not mention the meta game and need to clearly state why the nomination is a good candidate, not be a few request for an in game POI. Especially for a business where the risk is there for it being flagged as a "generic business."

A business (unless a church or library that is clearly defined in the guides) is a generic business until the nomination proves to me it provides value to the community.

• Should be fine, I submitted our local radio station and it was approved really quickly and that was back before Prime submissions. You should have no issue with the supporting statement to back you up.

• TheFarixTheFarix ✭✭✭✭✭

Would you apply the same standards to a TV station?

• XK150XK150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019

I think radio stations would be lousy portals. I'll one-star them unless Niantic tells me not to.

They are definitely not (as some people have argued on Reddit) art venues, because they don't showcase fine art or host live performances for audiences. (In the very rare case of a station that's still attached to some site of live music venue, submit the performance venue, not the whole station.)

Radio stations aren't connecting industries like post offices and train stations because radio is a one-way medium: businesses choosing what people hear. The post office and train station empower individuals to communicate and travel. That's portal-worthy. A building that broadcasts music and news filtered by a business is not.

Stretching the current guidelines to say radio stations are connecting people is the awful slippery **** that has TV stations, internet company offices, billboards, and tornado sirens at the bottom of the hill.

• XK150XK150 ✭✭✭✭✭

• GendgiGendgi ✭✭✭

My point was a little misinterpreted as well, @cmonineedaname. A business, and many other nominations, can't always be assumed to be important. I wouldn't change the nomination from a 5* to a 1* based on the substantiation alone. I'm saying that for something that isn't explicitly called out as an acceptable candidate, the person submitting needs to make sure they are clearly explaining "why you believe your Portal nomination is important." It is the difference between a high quality and a low quality nomination, and for some things can be the difference between being accepted and not. That's why the supporting information exists.

It's not lazy reviewing (critical, but not lazy). It is lazy submitting to say "need a Portal/Stop/etc."

• In central London tv stations are live in game. If I remember right broadcasting house is a portal and so is new BBC head office along with the old ITV studios. So radio stations I'm guessing fall in to some criteria. I'm sure I remember something about them recognizing communication.