GPS drift bug

Please fix the GPS driftig bug soon. I have Samsung Galaxy S10+ Exynos with Android 9

I read and see other agets have GPS drift bug to. If you get the GPS driftig bug send ticket about it to Niantic at ingress.com/support

Comments

• I watched my gps move several 100 meters last night while standing in one place trying to deploy on a portal.

Then just had to wait for my position to return so I could finish it.

USA Version - Note9, SM-N960U, Qualcomm not Exynos, with Android 9

• jontebulajontebula ✭✭✭✭✭
  • EvilSuperHerosEvilSuperHeros ✭✭✭✭✭

It happens in both the current release of Prime as well as the current release of Pokemon Go. It's been happening for a while now.

I see it often when after I perform a glyph, I jump to inventory management to do something (usually look for a key for fielding) and when I exit the inventory management screen, it has me 100-200 feet from the portal. Sometimes has me multiple blocks away. I have to wait for it to float back so I can perform my next action, sometimes I'm speedlocked due to this drifting as it sometimes flat out jumps away, then jumps back.

Samsung S9

Android 9

Current versions of both Prime and Pokemon Go

Now my father have the bug to on Android. I hope Niantic fix it soon and listen on feedback.

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure why gps drift is so crazy in prime, i can stand still and have good gps lock , still it can bounce 40m somewhere for no reason.. :s

I hope Niantic listen on feedback and fix it soon.

@NianticBrian

Glyph portal, while items are still popping up, go into a capsule, go back to the main screen, and you are 50-100 meters from the portal, you can see the missing xm from where you have drifted, then when it zoom back, you are temp speedlocked and xm on the ground is missing from where you zoomed back. Same thing I see with Pogo, but not in other AR games.

Samsung S9

Android 9

One UI Version 1.0

Oct 2019 Security Level

• Extreme GPS drift (100m) when bursting or deploying certain portals in my area, primarily around a lake and on piers. It will jump and put my location across the lake or more inland. This is happening now for several months without getting better. It doesn't happen with PoGo or Wizards Unite.

Samsung Galaxy S10 (Android)

I heard S10 have problem with Google Maps to and Google work on fix for S10. When Niantic work on fix With Prime? @NianticBrian

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

I hVe sent the bug in 3 times, still not resolved

• Good to know that others seem to have problems with this as well, even the thread date matches the beginning of the massive GPS drifting on my devices, Huawei Mediapad M3 and Huawei Mediapad M5, Android 7 and 9. No problems on iPhone 8.

I still see it on my Samsung S9. Same issue occurs with a S7.

• GollyGeeWhuzGollyGeeWhuz ✭✭
    edited January 2020

It's still happening. Makes a simple stop-n-throw turn into a 10-20 minute nightmare. Mostly occurs in fields and away from buildings where GPS signal should be clear. It acts like it is jumping me towards the nearest wifi signal and/or building. No g-map issues that mirror it.

• HydracyanHydracyan ✭✭✭✭✭

It happened to me even before prime was even announced. I believe it's a hardware problem, since happen in all the games.

Fore me on Samsung Galaxy S10+ with Exynos only happend in Prime. I know Niantic can update and fix better GPS. Google help and update Google Maps when Google Maps have GPS drift on Samsung Galaxy S10 and S10+

• Its nothing to do with niantic. If you had any idea how gps worked you'd be amazed it ever gave a location, neve mind a reasonably accurate one in a typical 'urban canyon'.

Oh? It isn't? It happens for me in both Ingress & PoGo in the middle of an open field with good signal. If I fire up another GPS game (ORNA) this issue doesn't happen. It's not a "urban canyon" of the city areas issue. It's something tied to Ingress Prime / Pokemon Go. My guess is something Unity based, as it didn't happen in the Redacted scanner.

For Ingress, it happens most often right after you glyph hack when the items are still popping (pooping?) out of the portal. Also happens after you exit your inventory screen(s). Your little circle decides to randomly run around the area. Lately I use all of my xm but a little bit when I go to glyph, then when I get done, I can see where my scanner ran off to after my items show up. You can see the missing xm all around you, usually for up to about 100 meters away. Only downside is that it usually causes speedlock. I see it semi frequently when out fielding, because I keep digging around in capsules looking for extra keys.

This works in PoGo too. I can leave my phone open and watch the little guy run around on the map after I exit the items screen. Works great for hatching eggs fairly quickly. I'm fairly sure this isn't how they intended for people to use the game. But if they won't really even acknowledge that there is an issue, I guess we can use it?

Notice how I mentioned it happens after exiting your inventory screens in BOTH games.

Hmmm.

Yup.

Must be my phone.

Happens on Samsung S9 on Android Pie with security updates as of Dec 2019

Also happens on Samsung S7 on Android ? (not sure what Android Version it is. It's my old phone that I no longer use since the battery lasts all of 20 minutes but I did test with it to verify my main device wasn't the issue originally).

• beardedtitbeardedtit ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020

That seems like the gps gets disabled while doing the 'other actions' (probably to save battery) and you are seeing 'drift' as the location is re-acquired.

• This bug annoyed me for a while too.. this happens to me in a specific place in my city (it's near railroad tracks with electrical wires above, and a metal fence). At that spot, if I stay there for 20 seconds, my avatar' position suddenly shoots about 50 meters away, in a straight line. It seems to always go in the same direction. I am certain this started after a specific Prime update, I think even 2 or 3 updates ago. Never had troubles at that spot before.

My guess is that Prime has an algorithm to compensate for GPS errors (like when you're in an area with interference), and that piece of code was altered in a specific update.

Contrary to other people's experiences, I've had no problem with WU or PoGo.

Which is still a Bug that they would need to fix. Once they actually acknowledge it.

I'm at the top of the layered field set. I had just tried to glyph the portal after closing out of inventory management. Couldn't glyph it, because I had "drifted" out of range. That was my only issue with GPS not being in the correct place yesterday. At least I scooped up some extra xm that was on the ground. Just glad I was already done fielding or I'd of been really pissed.

• If they are turning off gps while the inventory is open, it might explain why some dropped items 'disappear' - it might be they get dropped miles away from the correct location. It is a wonder it doesn't result in a ban for location spoofing!

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

I wish they somehow fixed the gps drifting for no reasons... i never drifted like this in redacted same phone... it shouldnt bounce around when u stand still and gps fix is just fine...

Hits the nail on the head. I'm thinking it's something that they messed with to try to get the battery zapping ability of Prime to be better, but it decreases the actual play/enjoyment of the game and increases the annoyance. In other GPS games NOT made by Niantic, this does NOT occur. It does happen in that other game Niantic makes where you spin stuff.

Niantic say every time it is issues with agents phones. I know Niantic can update Prime and work on GPS drift issues. When Samsung Galaxy S10 have GPS drift issues in Google Maps Google update Maps and help users fix GPS issues. Now time for Niantic to talk with Samsung and work hard to fix GPS drift issues in Prime for Galaxy devices.

Please help us @NianticBrian

• Occurs in pogo and ingress.

Example attached trying to lure a stop.

• HydracyanHydracyan ✭✭✭✭✭

Occurs in Jurassic World Alive too...

Works for me in old version of Prime. Now i have GPS drift on some locations with latest update. I hope Niantic will work har to minimize the GPS drift issues in Prime soon. I hope we see first step for GPS drift issues in Prime update soon.

• I have a s8+. Mine works good till I put the app in the background to do something else like read a email or some other activity. When I bring Ingress back up front to continue playing then the gps has no idea where it should be. The only fix that I find is to keep the gps on at all times even with Ingress in the background then it seems to work fine. I use gps connect to keep my gps on. You just have to remember to turn it off.

• This is the app...