Tired of portals denied because no photosphere

Isnt the supporting photo supposed to help in this cases? i am tired to be ''forced'' to do a photosphere just so the opr monkeys dont deny a valid poi, i dont work for anybody of both google and niantic, but for niantic atleast i play a game from them

what can niantic do to help this cases?

Comments

• AgentB0ssAgentB0ss ✭✭✭✭✭

Honestly, if you actually cared about your submissions and you knew it was a risky submission then you would submit a Photosphere. Yea its not required, its also not required for OPR to positively review the portal. If they can't accurately see where the portal is and it might not be where it was placed thats a denial.

• the thing is, there is no updated street view...however the supporting photo shows the surrounding area and if you compare it to the streetview it should be clearly that there atleast might be, but the monkeys are just lazy enough to analize properly the place or think ''this is photoshop'' i dont work for google, i dont have to be forced to send a photosphere for god damn each poi which has no streetview updated, that is the problem with monkeys they dont analize and check properly

Niantic could even ask for 3 supporting photos if want, 1 for each side and complete the surrounding area like a photosphere would do because is tiresome to be working for free for google, i mean i already work for free for niantic sending pois and doing opr once in a while...

Well then good luck with that. I don’t understand your hatred for Photosphere but they’ve certainly helped me.

• Without seeing your submission, we have nothing but generic advice to give you.

It's quite possible it was rated well, but everyone that reviewed it gave it 3* for location, which in combination with other ratings led it to be rejected.

Stop hating the reviewers, when you're not helping or proving anything with limited disclosure.

• TheFarixTheFarix ✭✭✭✭✭

Unless you have a 360 camera, they can be very tedious and annoying to do correctly. So unless I absolutely need one, I generally avoid making them.

I completely agree and am not saying its needed for every submission but OP is coming in attacking the thought of Photospheres and they have their use and function within the system and can only serve to help.

• No need to do it for every POI, example playgrounds, sports stuff, gazeebos, they are easly identified even with no updated street view. But if you are trying to submmit new mural, is likely they wont be accepted.

• So will the photosphere or other pics uploaded to Google maps be shown somehow to reviewers if they are more recent than a street view or do you have to hope the reviewers go look for them?

• Make an imgur gallery and link it in support statement if you feel you need more than 1 photo?

• The streetview shown in opr by default is that nearest to your placement of the poi/pin.

If you have them close enough that it's nearest, it will be visible to reviewers with no additional searching by them.

• I am brand new to adding portals. Got my first two approved within 3 days, got my third denied and have no idea why. So am searching around to learn to do it better. I would like to know, I have not seen options for photospheres when adding portal, is photospheres only for old version of Ingress? Many mention that we should add photospheres, but no instructions what it is, how to do them.

• KliffingtonKliffington ✭✭✭✭✭

It's through Google Streetview app. It's not a part of the submission system but a seperate resource that reviewers will see while verifying your nomination.

• kholman1kholman1 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019

I just had a trail map duplicated because they saw one on the nearby and did not even use the google provided streetview different part of the park. We need appeals it is sad having to ask the reviewers to please check streetview for duplicates as they aren't even reading the whole thing. I asked them to use the tools niantic gave them. Its sad we have to ask for people to follow the rules and not even begging when reviewing. There is clear abuse going on with people racing for upgrades its frustrating.

• Same here! I had to ask support to remove the additional photos cause people marked duplicates in two different sports fields! One is for basket and vôlei and the floor is yellow and green, the other one is for soccer and the floor is blue with white balls, have no idea why people marked it duplicated! They probably don’t even bother to open the photos and see the differences!

• You do realize sometimes Niantic system get older street views even when you look in google maps and the poi is there right? It happened to me and photospheres helped me a lot. Have no idea why people cant do it properly! It takes me less than 3 minutes to do it with my iPhone! I published it to google maps and voila, it gets online almost in the same minute! When people get the review it is there!

• EvilSuperHerosEvilSuperHeros ✭✭✭✭✭

Take a look in streetview before you submit. Usually has the date listed at the bottom of the images of when the area was last updated. It's very helpful to reviewers to see updated information if the title/poi isn't easily searchable on Google.

• RiktigFeilRiktigFeil ✭✭
    edited December 2019

Thank you.

Now I have to find someone that can explain how photospheres be both mandatory and not mentioned or explained how to do? And then explain the steps to how I am to to this secret mandatory thing. I know of some glaringly obvious local candidates that visiting "pro" portal makers would miss if not directed to them, it takes local knowledge to be made aware. Man made unique visually striking objects/buildings, sometimes connected to deceased cultural figures that were important to the area.

Anyone want to help with pointers to where I can learn to do this the right way? I already have read the rules, it does not mention the sphere https://niantic.helpshift.com/a/ingress/?p=web&l=en&s=portal-network&f=ingress-portal-criteria I have not come across mentions of photo spheres in the wayfarer help section. https://wayfarer.nianticlabs.com/help#

I think it is difficult to learn to do this the right way when the two most official resources does not mention them. Anyone disagree?

Links to the steps and instructions to nominate a portal properly with a photosphere is very much welcome, People who "cant understand how people cant do it right" - am I to learn by not asking how to do it?

• KliffingtonKliffington ✭✭✭✭✭

It's not an official mandate from Niantic. As a submitter I want to do whatever I can to make it easy for reviewers to verify my submissions. If it's not on Streetview or maps which is what Niantic DOES tell reviewers to use as a resource and there is nothing to help support where my submission is, especially objects inside buildings then I'm going to use a tool of the mapping system Niantic DOES USE to help verify location.

It's like descriptions. They're not mandatory but if you are trying to get a place with an interesting story to be approved, why would you not use the tools available to help make your case even though you are not required to do so.

Again, I don't love having to contribute to yet another company's database to play my games but I'm also not guaranteed to get anything approved if I choose to not make the best case possible.