OPSEC information - how long before declassifying?

falcobirdfalcobird ✭✭✭
edited December 2019 in The Investigation

I wanted to just start a discussion between both factions on intel that we choose to not release to the greater public. How long is long enough to hold onto this info? I understand the risks of giving the other faction information, but are we able to come together as a cross faction group and decide when we want to release our intel?

I am resistance, and just like Enlightened, we have intel that has been deemed opsec that is related to the tesselation. Having seen that intel first hand, all of what is in it is either 1) already publicly known, or 2) had to be given out twice, because the person who gave it out might have expected it to make its way to Essex.

I also see that even as far back as Cassandra Prime, Enlightened was holding onto a trove of information from Carrie Campbell.

PAC also explicitly made a call to release OPSEC info to cross faction groups.

So you can see that both factions are guilty of withholding information from Essex for various reasons. I'm not here to point fingers, I'd like to find solutions. I'm not suggesting we get rid of all OPSEC intel, but can we set an expiration date, at which point we are comfortable declassifying it? Maybe a few months? What do you think? The Tesselation is first and foremost a battle against Nemesis, and if we are fighting among ourselves, we run the risk that we can lose it for both factions.

Tagged:

Comments

• KoshTheRipperKoshTheRipper ✭✭
    edited December 2019

I am of the opinion that any information that is shared is better than the the information that is hidden from the other faction when it comes to the investigation and that also applies to the tessalation.

There are ALWAYS things to learn from getting a new perspective on something.

Think about it through the view of operating systems. Linux is WAY MORE stable than Windows. Why? Windows is a closed source operating system. While Linux is an open source operating system that ANYONE can look at the base code for.

• Only once there is no possible way that the information being out in public is not going to give the other side an advantage. And that's specific to the piece of nformation. Some pieces become impotent in 5 minutes, since never are safe to make public.

• There is also a small problem with giving Essex information too soon. There are certain members that dash off down their own rabbit holes and drag the storyline way off track when they get their hands on information that is too new. Writing fan fiction **** nilly.

That does neither the actual game, nor the real storyline, any good.

• When Niantic posts it publicly, it's declassified. Until then, it's not

Anything else is betrayal.

• Like I said on a somewhat similar topic, all Lore is Intel. Until this event is over, there will be withholding of information, not unless it has been distributed publicly by Niantic.

I am not against sharing the lore with the community, I am part of Essex as well, but I am more inclined to helping my faction win. Information is a key part of winning this event, so I am compelled to do my part to withhold information by my own volition.

• The more you get involved in Essex, the more your faction falls to the wayside.

I understand maintaining OPSEC for things like operations in an area and faction strategies during anomalies.

There is NO value to hoarding information that pertains to the tessalation and the lore. If you do, you're robbing everyone else of that information and it will not provide you with any advantage tactically.

• Duuuude. How exactly did You jump from "hoarding information" to "robbing someone"? o_0