Adding a New Portal tab for comms

2»

Comments

• HydracyanHydracyan ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019

I didn't meant it in a bad way. It's just like you original idea add practically nothing to game, and you only want it to make the exploit easier. As you said above, strategic players will notice it when a new portal appears.

Just keep up with your local community. When a new Poi is created the submitter will recey a email. And try to propose first the ones that are better for gym, so it will have plenty of time to get thumbs. No need to a whole new section just to show it.

What I really like to see is that white circle on pokestop being ported to ingress. A way to identify new unique portals would be a great addition, in my opinion.

Post edited by Hydracyan on
  • You just want something in ingress just to use it in another game.

No good.

• EvilSuperHerosEvilSuperHeros ✭✭✭✭✭

If you want to find new portals, then it's time to move agent. Go outside and find some new portals. Fairly simple stuff.

It's already fairly obvious when new portals go live, as usually the Ingress agent goes out and captures them. I see it every day on Intel. Lots of new benches, and memorial tree markers, and apartment pools and playgrounds all over the city. Sometimes I even see something interesting like a mural or artwork that goes live. Other times its yet another trail marker or yet another sign in the park, or someone who submitted every field, court, ect in the park.

Trying to find something worth going to explore in Ingress is currently dwindling with the new waypoints coming online, but on the plus side, much easier to finish off Explorer and Pioneer badges. Even easier when the majority of the portals are within reach of the road and parking spaces. It's time to drive agent!

@EvilSuperHeros he want a notification beacause there is a time limit to upvoted a new portal in time tô became a Gym, someting about a Day pra less

• Are there any pro-pogo people in this forum. Pretty sure I've played Ingress longer and harder than 95% of the people in this forum, so it's not that I don't like Ingress but why not have some integration. Maybe this gym mechanics upvote was a way for Niantic to bring the games together more, probably likely that they were just lazy and used something that didn't require anymore development time. But these pogo players that started playing Ingress only to upvote, really seem to be embracing Ingress and using the upvote system to make sound decisions and promote gyms that are beneficial to everyone. I haven't seen any manipulation other than trying to prevent gyms going to locations that they know are going to be problematic or inaccessible. If somebody knows a good forum from this I will go there and we can have a discussion.

• TheFarixTheFarix ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019

This does not help Ingress game play in any way. We are better of on coming up with ideas that can improve Ingress or make Ingress's game play look more engaging instead of things that benefits another game.

The up voting of portal images to select gyms is actually a net negative for Ingress, especially when it comes to selecting the best image to represent the portal. There should be no more features or mechanics that further encourages this abusive behavior.

probably likely that they were just lazy and used something that didn't require anymore development time. 

Thats more like it.

But these pogo players that started playing Ingress only to upvote, really seem to be embracing Ingress

Most don't. Just uses ingress as a tool to move portals, create and upvote. Is really a few who really embrace.

Niantic is struggling to make ingress profitable, and bringing in people who aren't interested is mostly doing harm. Besides portals names, pictures and locations, there should be any others interaction. I'de say port all pictures and thumbs to pokemon, give parity of features in all games, make the gym search algorithm run only once a month to give time to vote. Mixing features between games isn't good for anybody. Pkeplayers need to install another game, ingress players need to deal with temp accounts messing the portal Network.

• How does upvoting affect Ingress at all? The "best image" to represent the portal has nothing to do with game play, and in fact I believe more Ingress players abuse this feature to the benefit of their own ego or trolling purpose.

Ugly picture being upvote by 20 fake accounts to create a gym will be really hard to be update to a good one with better angle and light. There is a lot of portals with similar name and apparency, submitting a better picture helps a lot to identify it among other.

Also the fact that this is making people not really interested in the game came and mess arround.

And it doesn't really matter if there is a secret war to see which faction or player get the cover picture. It's a feature of X product and shouldn't affect the Y.

• why not have some integration

Because we already have the feature you're suggesting. We can open the Intel map and see all the portals we want. Ingress doesn't need this feature.

Maybe this gym mechanics upvote was a way for Niantic to bring the games together more

Nope, definitely lazy.

these pogo players that started playing Ingress only to upvote, really seem to be embracing Ingress

No, they aren't. They're insulting a more strategic game calling it boring and pointless. They're generating spoofing tools to allow them to make many accounts to upvote their home portal to make it a gym.

I haven't seen any manipulation other than trying to prevent gyms going to locations that they know are going to be problematic or inaccessible.

I have. Because people have seen portals in unusual and inaccessible places change photos with a whole bunch of upvotes. Unless people are taking upvote tours of 100+ people into private businesses, they're cheating.

If somebody knows a good forum from this I will go there and we can have a discussion.

Reddit is the home of PoGo discussion.

• 3 photos, and the worst one was upvoted by PoGo Players.

Before that, the seconds one was the main photo.

Now, it's a gym like they wanted it.

That's easy to fix, I've seen some with over 20 in multiple pictures.

• I've got pogo players actually playing Ingress and they aren't saying bad things about Ingress to me. I found much of my information about gym mechanics on reddit, and pogo discord groups, but I don't think reddit is going to get Niantic to pay attention or change anything. Maybe if more Ingress players got involved with their pogo communities this wouldn't be happening. We've got several good pogo communities around me, and I've done my best to help them out, and let them know that multi accounting is not ok. But again I can't hold everybodies hand or ensure they aren't being malicious.

•  I don't think reddit is going to get Niantic to pay attention or change anything

The only social staff in a forum setting from Niantic are on Reddit. Otherwise it's Twitter.

Maybe if more Ingress players got involved with their pogo communities this wouldn't be happening.

Why? I'm level 30 and the game bores me. I don't want to play PoGo, and I don't want PoGo modifying the Ingress client or playing field for their purposes. They do not have to overlap. People should be able to enjoy one without the other.

You're suggesting negatively affecting the Ingress client to support PoGo, while I'm telling you start suggesting ways to make the needs of PoGo present in the PoGo client. Your original plan is insane and does nothing but garner more animosity between the two games.

• TheFarixTheFarix ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019

If affects Ingress (and all other games) when a player submits a better image that allows players to better identify the wayspot, but cannot have the new image replace the existing "face" image because PoGo players previously upvoted the original bad image while exploiting a mechanic. And yes, upvoting images to create gyms an specific locations is an exploit and one that I hope Niantic eventually cracks down on.

• “...strategic players are going to notice your "strategic portal" anyway.”

I disagree.