PoGo **** business

Comments

• +1 this. Make the system harder to game then people will be less likely to try it

• quirischaquirischa ✭✭✭✭

Sad but true.

Some time ago, I had a bonus location in Great Britain. Therefore, I had the opportunity to see what submits are sent by players from the UK. Indeed, in a suburb, it can be several kms from one playground to another, and all these playgrounds have a distinct appearance.

So I can understand that some might not imagine that children's playgrounds could be mass-produced, but they can. Yes, they can!

According to the current urban planning rules, the area covered by children's playgrounds should be at least 10% of the total area of a residential district. To achieve these numbers, the authorities are buying those playgrounds from a single supplier in balk. The playgrounds are supplied in a modular type, so one plgrnd can be assembled from several modules. But does this make it a unique object? Well, no.

However, we obviously moved away from the topic, so I say goodbye to everyone.

• Ingress portals meant something special at the start, I’m thinking of Churches, Historical locations, libraries where in the Ingress story these places had “high xm concentration” because they were really important places. Look around your area and really look closely at every portal and decide whether it’s something really really special or whether it’s just a bit nice that people know it’s there.

• OchemistOchemist ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019

Sure, there are certainly portals that are more or less interesting or more or less special to me, but that is incredibly subjective. I have pet portals that I really like that others might not find special enough. Can you draw a clear line or set of criteria that would be generally agreed upon that would delineate special from not good enough? I'm not sure even carving out categories like churches would do it, as I don't think a s trip mall church is any more interesting than a few baseball fields or playgrounds I can think of. But then again, I'm not into the Ingress lore (I just like green triangles :) ), so maybe it would be more clear-cut than it seems.

• GearGliderGearGlider ✭✭✭✭✭

That makes for a boring poor game though. If you want to play driving games, get Mario Kart.

• Your comment makes no sense, nothing I said has anything to do with driving.

ingress is better as a strategic game where individual portals are more important. If there are too many portals then each one loses its value.

The issue we had before PoGo submitters was many areas which had no ingress players had no one submitting interesting portals so there were many gaps in the portal network. This is something that is getting fixed quickly.

i said earlier that I thought of all the portals in my area that between 1/4 and 1/3 were what I would describe as “high quality portals” so I’m not exactly calling for a complete wipeout of the board, but maybe take out the Noticeboards, postboxes etc that make good pokestops but aren’t really the sort of thing Ingress was about originally

• AgentB0ssAgentB0ss ✭✭✭✭✭

Thats your opinion. I personally find ingress more fun when its very dense and someone Microfields and I can blow it all up. Very satisfying seeing a bunch of fields DROP all at once. Also I believe density helps strategdy. It allows the opposing team opportunity to block bigger operation they have the option to set up more counter measures or to block as items are being built.

See everyone has an opinion on whats better and its not our job to determine if something is too dense. The game does that automatically.

Also items like Noticeboards etc are in the AMA as valid for a reason.

• Your comment makes no sense, nothing I said has anything to do with driving.

Depending on how the portals are removed, it has everything to do with driving. If you leave concentrated clusters undisturbed, then it will still be fine for walking, but if you take a lot of portals out of dense areas it will make it harder to play on foot and thus encourage cargressing, which not everybody enjoys.

• I walk for 4 hours to some of my anchor portals, maybe some people need to try a bit more walking Instead of driving everywhere 🤷‍♂️

• OchemistOchemist ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019

Walking instead of driving is exactly what I'm talking about. Playing while walking for people who don't have four hours to spend walking to places or for whom it's not safe to walk long distances or who simply enjoy microfielding.

• AgentB0ssAgentB0ss ✭✭✭✭✭

You don't get to dictate other peoples play styles...

• I’m not, I just think a lot of portals are a bit rubbish and our standards should be a bit higher, if PoGo want really low standards then that’s to them but I think the portal network should actually mean something

• I don't want total garbage in the portal network, but how would you set those standards out?

• thats a good question but there’s definitely some that won’t make good portals but are fine for pokestops

• OchemistOchemist ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019

Could you give some examples?

Edit: I know you mentioned notice boards, but in my area at least, they aren't particularly common and postboxes, which aren't eligible to begin with most places (not sure if you are in the UK).

• I can show at least 100 locations where editions were made to create portals that should not be there.

to prevent this, niantic system need to:

1. Put a “too close” rule for editions too! If it is moved and it too close, one of the portals should not remain in the system.
    2. The pokestop or gym needs to lose its category! When you move a pokestop to a cell where there is already another one , it still remains what it is , when clearly we know if they were submitted right we couldn’t not have 2 or more pokestops in one 17 cell! So one will still be a pokestop and other one will became just a portal IF doesn’t follow rule 1.
    3. Put a abuse edition button so we can report the accounts doing that AND PUSNISHED THEM with a three strike policy!
    4. Allow agents to report a “fake” density area for niantic to analyze and made all the changes ! When all those are implemented, we will have some peace ( and I am a pokemon go player who came to Ingress but I don’t agree with those things)
  • In humble opinion, if Niantic could just remove the 1 pokestop per 1 cell 17 restriction and everyone would go been more happier than before.

• That would stop a lot of edit requests but not do anything about the amount of rubbish being currently submitted

• kholman1kholman1 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019

I think part of the issue is a lot subjective ideas are being thrown around to dictate the quality of submissions and going as far as suggesting culling the network to fit ones personal needs is not right. Some may value parks more others the strikingly unique art sculpture at a museum but to say that lets cherry pick because we don't agree that is what niantic originally intended well niantic modified the guide to include more areas and not regulate portals to churches or museums etc. Playgrounds, baseball fields etc. in parks are what a majority of the pogo community requested and people balked. These are safe communal places that are open to the public. We can't always get what we want but saying I don't like this or that in the guide etc. does not force any player to interact with the POI.

• KliffingtonKliffington ✭✭✭✭✭

Where are you getting that those things were added because of PoGo request?

• kholman1kholman1 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019

That is what people were asking for when I put out asking for areas that were lacking. I asked for ideas and took the ones that fit the guide. I drove to rural towns looking for the murals, churches, parks. I made projects to get areas more points of interest. I succeeded way beyond my initial goal. I kept going when I found areas lacking I went searching. Footbridges were not even on my list until niantic allowed them.

• KliffingtonKliffington ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh your wording made it sound like those things were added to the acceptance criteria because PoGo player requests.

• Niantic added more things to the guide so more things would sync to PoGo so PoGo makes more money. We don’t need every point of interest as a portal it’s unnecessary.

facts is the quality of accepted submissions has nosedived, if PoGo players want all the rubbish accepted then there’s only so much we can do to halt the tide of bad acceptances but I just don’t want them ruining Ingress by submitting every street sign

• kholman1kholman1 ✭✭✭✭

I am sorry but the problem with the logic that I am seeing is people are trying to force a artificial limit on portals for personal benefit. Niantic has a common platform for all three games. You can choose to interact with these so called rubish quality portals or not but the community is not going to stand for a small vocal minority trying to force a detrimental change to any of the games for personal benefit. These community forums are a small sample of the worldwide community for all three games. Not to mention the amount of things entering wayfarer and sent back out rejected is very high. Using fear as a tactic isn't going to work. We have report tools for a reason.

• I’m not saying an artificial limit, I’m just saying keep the low quality points of interest that aren’t important to the games where more poi=more money.

The old rules for portals was “if there’s nothing there worth submitting then there’s nothing portal worthy there” now it’s find something ask at at AMA and then people use the answer to accept lots of rubbish

• kholman1kholman1 ✭✭✭✭

that is my point. Let niantic decide how they want things. Its not our decision and your suggestion negatively impacts ingress as your telling the agents who submitted certain portals they aren't good enough for ingress.

• You can’t honestly look at all the portals out there and say they are “great ingress portals”? Can you?