Scanner crashes every 45 minutes of continuous play.

Recently I started travelling on long-distant buses. I noticed the scanner would crash almost every 45 minutes of continuous play. I would force-close the app and wait 3-5 minutes usual loading time. My phone is Samsung Note 9. It's getting to the point to concede to the shapers - Niantic. Prime has ruined the game...

Comments

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

Jupp, its doing that for me and many, this issue is often reported here long ago but still as of today no fix for that... highend phones shouldnt freeze sudden....

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

The bug is due to Niantic having to support the old server codebase.

I understand the frustration, along with 100% of others that constantly are unable to play because of this.

Niantic were supposed to have the new server up by October/November.

Judging by the last update, it looks unlikely we will see the new server until at least early February

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

how can u know when the server will go online the new ? ugh.. so freezing for almost 3 months more then :(

• starwortstarwort ✭✭✭✭✭

The bug is due to Niantic having to support the old server codebase.

I don't buy that excuse. Did Niantic tell you that or have you just made it up?

Server codebase has almost nothing to do with what runs on the client; what it does involve is having some sort of protocol to communicate game state between the client and the server, and that protocol should be implemented in a small library somewhere that can easily be coded without crashing the client all the time, and where the rest of the client doesn't have to bother itself with the details. After all, Redacted had to deal with the old servers and crashed way less often than Prime.

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

Various sources, some from Niantic themselves.

Prime uses native Protobuf

Server uses JSON

Pogo and HPWU both use Protobuf on the client and server.

Something is going very wrong, in the communication layer. And won't be resolved until the switch to the new server base NGP.

For fairly obvious reasons, migrating the old server data to the new server isn't trivial.

Nobody wants to lose guardians, links, fields, stats, inventory, etc.

Old server support works now, only marginally.

And I too am fed up with the constant freezing of the app. But realise that the wait for the migration to the new server can't come soon enough.

Had hoped @NianticBrian or someone from Niantic can provide us with a basic roadmap of how soon this transition will occur.

Late Dec? January? Q1?

Hopefully not before Q2 next year?

• grendelwulfgrendelwulf ✭✭✭✭✭

I played the entire 2+ hours of FS with over 250,000+ AP gain without any crashes or freezes. It was impressive.

• NineBerryNineBerry ✭✭✭✭✭

I can confirm I haven't seen a single Freeze since I updated to 2.37.

• You're not trying hard enough - I had at least one today while doing recharges.

It isn't a 'comms' problem, it it almost certainly caused by application threads acquiring locks in differing orders - probably some being 'callbacks' from the library code.

If the code is badly written there could be a lot of places wherethis happens.

Locking callbacks, and especially deregistering them is actually quite hard to get right.

• I have been using Prime since you could throw links correctly and rename capsules. And it was then and is now "crashing" all the time. Doesn't matter what the ambient temperature is, portal density is, movement speed, location, etc.

I mainly play ingress to do missions. This ensures I am out playing for at least few hours and I generally have to "restart" Prime every 15 and 30 minutes due to the client locking up.

It will "lockup" almost at random. Selecting a portal, opening a capsule, checking my stats. There is no consistency to when and why it locks up.

Now Redacted would also lock up for me, but that would be hours of game play not minutes. And that could have been attributed to the ambient temperature as it would mainly occur in the Summer months.

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

latest update seems to have fixed the freezing issue for me atleast so far.