How broken is Wayfarer becoming?

I was very apprehensive but also excited when Wayfarer/nominations went live for level 40 PoGO players. However, this last week has burned me out. I currently have 10 nominations with upgrades, several that have been upgraded for over 1 week. Prior to this, anything I had upgraded never took longer than 5 days, and typically only 1 day (or mere hours) to get approved/denied.

It feels like PoGO players are flooding the system with nominations and not enough are pulling their weight with reviews. And that's not exclusive to PoGO - the problem also existed with Ingress players seemingly oblivious to the fact they could (and should) review, too. It just has now much more escalated.

I reviewed several very low quality / borderline abuse nominations over a week ago. I was encouraging a friend to do Wayfarer reviews and was appalled to see some of the same nominations still in voting after 10 days - same photo, same low quality/abusive text.

It's getting old, fast, and I'm seeing more people check out of reviews. I'm sure I will be too, soon. I review because it's fun, but it's getting to exhausting and my upgrades mean nothing without other reviewers.

Tagged:

Comments

• Even the casual pogo players in my area have done way more reviewing than most Ingress players and have hundreds more agreements. Most of their submissions are also instant 5* so they're getting cleared out of the system very quickly. (some even had all 7 of their first submissions upgraded because they hit reviews so hard.)

From my experience, if your submission stays 'in voting' for more than a day or two its because someone somewhere has given it 1* so it sticks around for extra reviewing.

I think the issue might be that pogo players are doing so many reviews that its made upgrades useless. cant push stuff to the front of the queue if everyone has an upgrade.

• KliffingtonKliffington ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm sorry but that's a very incorrect understanding of the system. Things can be in voting for many reasons, lack of reviewers being a big one.

• There is no lack of reviewers since pogo got access so that definitely isn't the reason, the only submissions i've ever had in review for more than a day have come back denied with just a 1* spam completely unrelated reason in the email. I know for a fact that those reviews passed by at least 15+ people in my group with full 5* reviews.

Theres no lack of reviewers in your area maybe. There's a whole world out there you probably can't speak for all of it.

From the disagree I should take it that you CAN personally speak for the whole world and know the inner workings of the review system?? You're amazing.

• GendgiGendgi ✭✭✭

Anecdotally, in my area, it feels like there are more people making nominations than reviewing. I say this based on PoGO and Ingress communities. I say this based on conversations in group chats, in person, and from the quality of nominations being made. I can only assume the person nominating "Target" - "It's a Super Target" is not also doing reviews. In discussions, many feel like if they aren't nominating new things, there is no reason to review.

We tried to give incentives to our local community to learn the guidelines by throwing a reviewing party with prizes. One person showed up.

They're submitting though.

• OchemistOchemist ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019

It sounds like things move very quickly in area; bully for you. I'm in a fairly quick area but don't think I've had a single thing come back recently within a day (even upgraded submissions), and almost everything has been ultimately accepted. And I'm talking about a lot of easy 5* submissions like educational information boards at National Park Service sites and sports courts.

It is pretty arrogant to generalize from your singular experience to the rest of the world.

• GendgiGendgi ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019

I had a trail marker for a pedestrian trail going by a park go from in queue into voting and denied within hours. Meanwhile, many other nominations of mine that should be 5* standards in a rural community I tried helping are still in voting with upgrades over a week later. Yet, this is still in voting after 10 days.

• GendgiGendgi ✭✭✭

I'm sorry for your experience. Thankfully, I'm still holding green rating. I'm at 9,070 agreements for my Recon badge. As much as I love reviewing (I really truly do), I'm likely retiring after I get Onix and let somebody else clean up the backlog.

• GearGliderGearGlider ✭✭✭✭✭

thats such a good idea!! I’m sorry it didn’t work out super well :(

• JosmanuJosmanu ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019

I think its a combination of stuff

*Niantic increased the ammount of votes required to get a final desicion (normal stuff since the huge influx of new reviewers because ingress had zero people reviewing in proportion to pogo)

*The new people got bored or tired or holidays or vacation or burned, put whatever you want

*Majority of people see this as working for free and believe it or not...many people dont like to work for free especially if you arent even giving a medal for their pogo accounts

*Niantic system (which niantic employees cant fix or dont want? who knows) made the pogo accounts with ingress linked banned accounts to not able to review, and same for the other way ingress with linked with banned pogo accounts, hence made people who was already reviewing not able to continue or to not even able to enter

*Too much submissions are able to be send especially from those people with several accounts because arent linked even with same email for some unlogical reason but niantic decide to link for other stuff which isnt helpful at all,, i mean in ingress you coudlve send a lot when redacted was up with same email, same account

*Bad reviewers which think they are good are starting to get retroactive the rating they deserve, so rare i am still in green with over 10k reviews perhaps because i never used to just vote yes or no (1 star or 5 star spam) so they get upset and quit

*People get tired of getting rejected valid submission so they riot to not review because its a waste of time if they arent getting their own submissions in

*Huge backlog, ive seen redacted submissions from years

*many more pick your favorite, type yours

Yeah, would have been nice to have a group of people clearing out the queue who understand some of the more nuanced guidelines but they just don't care to do it unfortunately. I'm slowly swaying a few people here and there but as soon as the next event happens I know they'll be gone!

• *pogo players who got stuff accepted but not show up in pogo rage quit.

• GearGliderGearGlider ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm hoping to throw a reviewer bingo party eventually, and I have a bunch of reviewer friends who would be all for it, but getting the new reviewers is what I'm hoping for. I'd love to get other ideas for reviewing games besides Bingo though.

Our idea was bingo too haha and the reviewer who got the most local reviews by the end.

• GendgiGendgi ✭✭✭

@Kliffington "most reviewed" is risky - potential to just rush reviewing and not give quality ratings (then again, if they get a cooldown, it'll stop them!) - I was thinking "most agreements."

@GearGlider that's a cool idea, too.

If either of you have successes, I'd love to hear!

We would be there helping them. Getting local things can be such a dice roll around here!

• I have intensified my reviews, anticipating a dropoff in low-quality nominations in 3-6 months. I really think capable people reviewing more is the solution to all Wayfarer (introductory) problems.

• What are you saying? One 1* nullifies 15 5*?

I've seen the same nomination reported for abuse at least 5x and it still is in the system waiting for a decision.

• I think a 1* does affect the decision pretty heavily and does set the review process back by a few days, It definitely seems to be the case for the submissions i've had denied since pogo had access because i've re-submitted them and had them accepted straight away.

Obviously thats just my experience but as most of the stuff in my area goes from submission to decision in less than a week i'd say its probably pretty accurate because the submissions aren't really in the system for long enough to start blaming it on other things..

• I want nominating being bound to Wayfarer work. Like, you get 7 or 14 nomination slots for free, for more you have got to do work. Just like Upgrades, 100 Agreements for another one. It's not too much. Or ingame rewards for 100 Agreements, like an egg machine for PoGo or a coupon which is valid in any of the games.

• GendgiGendgi ✭✭✭

Something like that, at least. Especially with as ambiguous as the nominations are in PoGO - you can stumble into submitting something and have to actively seek out the guides. You are asked "why should this be a Stop" so people say things like "I need a Stop at work." Even typical 5* nominations are "this is a nest and we need a Stop here to go with the Gym." It's hard to give those a proper rating when they aren't following the intended nomination criteria.

• Maybe reviewers are backing off as I am. I had a green rating since I started, almost a year and a half ago. Now suddenly I'm rejecting a bunch of junk and my rating dropped. Yesterday, for the first time EVER, I dropped to red and had to retake the ridiculously easy test. A few times I stopped and my rating went back to green just by waiting it out. (Did the change the formula).

Anyone who's been green for forever and suddenly goes yellow, or worse - red, doesn't have much reason to continue reviewing. Introduce backlog.

• GendgiGendgi ✭✭✭

@CurieUSGlo21212 I'm sorry you dropped out of favor. I'm still hitting the "no more nominations in your area" almost daily and I haven't fallen out, yet. But my region hasn't had anything new added for weeks, and I'm at 12 nominations with upgrades that are still in voting/queue. I'd like to keep reviewing, but what's the point when upgrades aren't doing anything?

• edited December 2019

For me Wayfarer is broken for a completely different reason - it's because of the automerge bug. My reviewing stats and upgrades are assigned to gmail account A while all my submissions are listed under gmail account B. I am not able to assign my upgrades.

Post edited by SwitchAxeMaster on
  • This confuses me because I see portal nominations and now pogo nominations from such a wide variety of places, four countries and US coast to coast, that it's hard to imagine "no more in your area". I'm not sure I've been assigned to an area. Maybe I don't stay in the same place long enough?

• GendgiGendgi ✭✭✭

@CurieUSGlo21212 I do a LOT of reviews each day 😂

But, really, we don't know how Niantic handles what you review. I get that message almost daily and I have local friends with nominations in voting & in queue that I haven't seen, yet. And, obviously, there are probably hundreds or thousands more across the country, yet I get random ones from outside my regions.

• I try to do between 5 and 100 per day depending on how energetic, focused, and motivated I feel. I'll occasionally do more but not often. If you do considerably more than that then that might explain the message, as I haven't seen it yet. If I get the "prove you aren't a robot" more than a few times I walk away for awhile. I've been told some folks easily do a thousand in a day. I don't expect I'll ever get close.