Event Idea : AI Infection
I have a suggestion for a cooperative event without cross faction work:
A third AI Faction (Red) is infecting the network, attempting to cut humans off from XM.
Infection is caused by one of two methods, depending on whether an infection already exists in the cell:
- Every hour, if no portals are infected in a cell (or smaller S2 area), 1% of all deployed portals, and 5% of all grey portals in the cell will randomly become Red faction. Grey portals will become L1 red portals fully deployed with R1s.
- Every hour, if there are infected portals, they create a number of links based on their level (1 per level for example) to the nearest portals, which become infected too. Link range can be unlimited, but the closest portals should be infected first. Obviously links can't cross other links, but a given portal should be able to make as many outgoing links as uninfected portals exist around it and are linkable.
- Any existing links will automatically be a path to infection, every hour, starting from the hour after a portal is infected.
When a portal is infected, it cannot be hacked, upgraded, linked to or deployed on.
Additionally there are a number of ways to protect portals from infection.
- Portals with a field attached to them gain a 25% immunity, per field, up to 100% at 4 fields.
- Green or Blue P8 portals are immune.
- For each red portal killed the scoreboard grants a faction 1 point.
- For each red link killed the scoreboard grants 2 points.
- ADA and Jarvis flipcards can be used to make a portal that color again, but no points are gained.
Winning team is the one with the most points.
- The goal is to encourage people to play in whatever way they want to be beneficial.
- Destroyers can chase after the infected portals.
- Builders can field their area to protect it.
- Explorers can search out grey portals and deploy on them to reduce the infection rate.
- Teams can build P8s in larger numbers to protect portals, or ring infections off with a barrier of P8s linked around an infection site.
- By making links worth more, people have the "Do we take it down now, or wait for a bigger point score after it spreads" choice. And the opposite faction may take out the portals if you wait
- Grey portals should be infected at a faster rate, to encourage people to deploy the grey portals and remove 4% of the infection.
- By 100% providing protection to portals with 4 or more fields hanging off them, it encourages people to field their area up with lots of little fields. Instead of fielding over a city and stopping all play.
- Cells with no deployed portals (all grey) can be ignored because no-one plays there, as can cells with no portals, reducing it to about ~7000 active cells which shouldn't be too heavy of a processing load.
- This will likely require the upgraded servers and Prime only, but we're fast approaching that point.
What do people think? Are there other elements that could encourage general play as a way to improve the team's success?