[2.25.2] UI fades out when fully zoomed out

When fully zooming out in 2.25.2, the UI always fades out after a second or so. It reliably comes back when I zoom in slightly.

I like how the new compass remains visible...

Disappearing UI has been an issue with Prime from at least 2.12, but I noticed this reproducible behavior when trying to make a screenshot for another issue:

I never noticed pre-2.25 that Prime uses a transparent notification bar - this results in stuff being hidden, especially the upper half of the XM counter being below the notification bar.

Tagged:

Comments

• Jo0LzJo0Lz ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought this was a feature somehow xD

Only reason for it I can think of is more information of the map when fully zoomed out. I play a little zoomed in for perspective anyway, so it doesn't really bother me.

• Yeah I am pretty sure that is intended and the visible compass is a bug.

• This has been the case ever since Prime launched!

It's a feature, not a bug.

• NineBerryNineBerry ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a great feature. I always use this view when moving (on bike) and then zoom in for actual action. It's also good that the compass remains visible when zoomed out because as I said I use this view for navigating. And the compass is very useful for that.

• starwortstarwort ✭✭✭✭✭

Am I the only person for whom the UI stays on the screen when the map is fully zoomed out? I've never once seen it disappear, but I've seen it mentioned several times in the forums.

• GlenuendoGlenuendo ✭✭✭✭

@starwort , nothing happens to me either. So I'm clueless as to what everyone else is talking about.

• When fully zooming out in 2.25.2, the UI always fades out after a second or so. It reliably comes back when I zoom in slightly.

This is indeed a feature as others mentioned. We thought it would be neat and wanted to give it a try; largely to enable as much use of your screen real estate as possible to get those far out Portals.

I can see that changing the UI controls can be confusing or disorienting. Does it otherwise affect functionality or limit your ability to play?

• I guess it mostly feels like a bug because the UI in Prime is known to disappear intermittently, so the idea that this is intentional never occurred to me.

When I think about it, there's not really a lot missing without these mostly decorative elements - makes one think whether they could be ditched or scaled down completely. What's missing most is Powercube quick access and AP display. And COMM, but that's unusable in Prime anyways. The old, frequently updating, one line per entry COMM gave you a lot more insight into what was going on instead of that rarely updating, un-intuitive three-line thing at the top. And don't even get me started on the bloated mess that is the full COMM in Prime with about the lowest information density imaginable.

• Jo0LzJo0Lz ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the fading out of the UI is nice. I like being able to tap on those portals farther away (but lose the gaussian blur around the screen, PLEASE). I do agree on the Comms though, I really don't understand the urge to have those portal images everywhere. I don't like to see all the pictures on the keys either. When I click the image, a carousel with more images should load, like in redacted. Keep them away from everywhere else. It forces these huge blocks of text that are not really useful.

• Also a problem for me.

Even if i use bursters the info bar is hidden and i can not see my actual xm.

An option to keep that bar visible would be helpful.

• DSktrDSktr ✭✭✭✭

That's a feature not a bug:)

• playboaplayboa ✭✭
    edited November 2019

Most time i play with min zoom (max distance), so there is no xm info, even if i use bursters the info bar gets sometime invisble.

Just an option to keep that bar would fix it.

May its a feature, but not well touhght and annoying.

• I would like to suggest something like this mockup. Keep the xm-bar and access to powercubes available in a minimized way. I play almost exclusively in fully zoomed out mode and it's inconvenient to have to zoom a bit in in order to check my xm-bar and/or use power cubes

• Here my view in burst mode, not able to see the bar and recharge on time:

Just an option to keep the bar on top would decrease the frustration level when playing ingress.

• playboaplayboa ✭✭
    edited November 2019

Looks like they react if you contact them direct via support https://ingress.com/support/

"We do have the option to view the Agent Avatar and the option to add Power cubes while attacking. After reviewing the screenshot which you have provided, I see that you are unable to view those options while attacking Portals. We have shared this information with our team for further investigation. Meanwhile, please make sure that your app is updated to the latest version of Prime and try accessing it using a stronger network connection.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We appreciate your patience and understanding in this situation."

Niantic support