Ditch the story, bring back the Ingress Report

With Niantic spending all this money on videos about strange people with blow up heads and multiple dimensions, I think people have lost sight of the game of Ingress.

However, back in the 'days of yore', before Prime, before the Animation, before a 3 year blank space, there was:

The Ingress Report

This series in the early days, had *far more* to do with the players, and our achievements than any storyline, or the crazy things the NIA was up to. Celebrating the players, announcing new versions of the software etc, with a decent production quality and a recognizable reporter.

Bring back the early Ingress Report, before you dragged Suzanna Moyer into the lore. Before the only videos we got were strange people in weird masks. Show the fun times people have at anomalies, and the excitement of Operations people complete.

YouTube is still a great platform for social content delivery.

#MakeIngressGreatAgain

Comments

• Great idea, I miss reports and the good mood of Suzanna Moyer. 😀

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

the story today is no fun at all, i dont even follow it...

• Sure, it would be nice!

• Back in the day when the community was actually valued...

I completely agree and have been thinking the same thing. The Ingress Report tied community efforts into the lore and allowed everyone to feel like they were apart of something much more than a random app.

The thing that makes Ingress great is what has been built on top of the base game...again, that's the community. Anomalies, Mission Days, First Saturdays, even NL1331 events wouldn't exist without the network of locals that make them happen. Of those locals that actually organise things, I wonder how many of them are newer players versus older ones that remember the glory days of the Ingress community.

Bring back the Ingress Report.

• it does seem Niantic is spending a lot of resources appeasing a small community of people into the lore, while not giving the rest of the community much of anything.

• edited November 2019

@NinthAnt

it has no real impact on gameplay outside of narrow events.

And when it does impact us in a way that is noticeable... it's typically negative, because we failed due to everyone ignoring an event. Or because of no Ingress Report, people didn't even realise it was happening or how it worked.

• MoogModularMoogModular ✭✭✭✭✭

The Ingress Report was part of the story. It was a digest of what was going on and ugh the absence really has messed up communication within the world.

• Maybe "lore" would have been a better word. The part of the IR that I always watched was the game updates and the Agent stories.

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

Without a doubt the Ingress Report had been one of the most engaging parts of the game.

And the game needs to have this come back

• I ask for this each time Niantic sends me a survey.

• I retired for a while and now find getting back into the story is harder than it's ever been, which surprised me, since I thought we did a big reset.

• I do also miss Ingress Report; while I did not quite watch every single IR, it was personally significantly more interesting than the recent lore videos.

• They may have killed off Suzanna Moyer in the old lore, but we’re in the multi universe now and Niantic could bring back Suzanna again even if it’s not Ione Butler playing the role again. We have new actors taking over older roles, so it wouldn’t hurt to have a new Suzanna. But yes, having the Ingress Report back would be great! They did a great job with the editing and narrative of the reporting of the Anomalies and other events.

• It doesn't have to be ione or even the Susanna Moyer character, although that worked well. I've had this conversation with many older players who really miss having a regular report that helps bridge the gap between storyline and lore and the players who just want plain English goals.

The exposure the report brought to big ops and wonderful things agents do was invaluable for creating excitement.

• EMM3BINEMM3BIN ✭✭

All these sugestions are really awesome, Ingress Report was really kind of approach between lore and player base activies. But... I think there's still an idiomatic barrier with all these stuff being available only in English. This is, after all, a problem to attract more people from different countries for Ingress Player Base.

• I never bothered with the Ingress Report when I started because it was outside the app, and in hindsight I regretted it.

Even if they're not willing to bring back the full videos, it would be useful to have a "Dossiers" section of the app for keeping news, community developments, app updates, and lore.

"Ingress Dossier 5.1.20: Agent So-and-so completed a 3 million Mind Unit field over Cell Kilo-15, solidifying the Enlightened's hold over the area. Anomalous activity continues to impact Intel-- is there something greater at play? Agents begin reporting security changes in the scanner, with lower-security Agents being offered the opportunity to scan Portals for research. Potential ramifications of portal scanning remain unknown. Sources indicate the recurring 'First Saturday' event will return for May despite pandemic fears."