Default Portal Names

IIIlIIllIlIIIlIIllIl ✭✭
edited November 2019 in General

I've traveled far and wide and come to some Major flaws in the Database Niantic uses.

Firstly, "US Post Office". Really Which one... That one... the one with the picture of the carport on the side... no not that one, The other one. Ok *link thrown*

Next link "US Post Office". Again... This one don't have a picture. I have 3 that will throw. Grrrr... Wrong one. *drops FLIPCARD and rethrows"

You see where I'm Going with this....

The Simple Solution is to take all the US Post Office portals and NIANTIC run them thru a Zip Code search, and add " - XXXXX" Where XXXXX is the Zip code that the search comes up with.

Another one with the Same issue: "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints", and "Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses" Do the Same search and (Outside if Utah) Most of those should show with New and Improved names to designate one from another....

Thank-you!

Comments

• agreed. There are way too many portals with duplicate names. Granted, in the database, the gps location is unique, and the address is unique, but the names WE have to use are identical. And that causes a lot of problems for fielding.

• TheFarixTheFarix ✭✭✭✭✭

Submit rename requests and hope there are enough reviewers in the area to confirm it. Unfortunately, I've submitted renames for over a dozen post offices over a year ago and heard nothing back.

• They're named as per the USPS database they were given. Many are called things like Tarzana Post Office or Avoca US Post Office. And then there are plenty that aren't.

• MoogModularMoogModular ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought the branch was put at the end?

There was a lot of times when the import just failed. Ugh.

• Rename requests do work.. But those are limited, just as all other Edits and Submissions are. But what about the ones that are missed.... What about normalizing the naming convention.

I'm talking about a script that could do All those edits (Thousands of them in the US) in a matter of Minutes.

This is NOT just specific to the US... Think Globally, What portals are there which you've seen more than 4 of the Same exact name. Do any of the NOT have a picture.....

• This was not an issue on Redacted because logs from comm had full address, not that shame in the Prime with no address (most of it) and MUs captured.

• Was still an issue then... just wasn't a forum to raise this issue to NIA.

And trying to figure these forums out as welll....

• Yeah, it was still painful to manage keys when you couldn't read the full name.

• EvilSuperHerosEvilSuperHeros ✭✭✭✭✭

LOL, we had an issue with Linking to a Fire Department once upon a time, to towns with the same name in different states. Lost a few layers on that one.

• The post office in the town I lived in over a year ago finally had its name changed to the town, rather than "US Post Office".

The post office in the town where I live now has yet to have its name changed (edit proposed over a year ago - and the current name is US POST OFFICE. in all caps. Yelling like some kind of banshee)

I hate lazy names too.

• TheFarixTheFarix ✭✭✭✭✭

No, it came from Google Maps. That is why the locations of many post offices are incorrect, there are duplicates for many post offices, and some others are completely missing.

• Having the addresses back, as per Redacted, would be absolutely fabulous! Having a zip code would be great too.

Getting creative with portal names is key going forward. For Post offices, fire stations, etc. I at least give the city first.

Other things that could use renaming:

Fountain.

Little free library (most have a plaque with a unique charter number.)

Park play structure.

Park gazebo

• I'd submit a request on the Wayfarer forums, and list off each place and an updated name.

• GorillaSapiensGorillaSapiens ✭✭✭✭✭

i think OP's point is that this could be automated, especially in cases where it is obvious that Niantic snorted up a database.

• tp235tp235 ✭✭✭✭

Currently, normal editing takes a tremendously long time. 

Also, if you have a request, the Wayfarer team may not take it. (They continue to destroy Niantic's assets)

And another problem is that there is another game out there filled with people who care nothing about the title or description.

I once had a discussion on the Wayfarer forum about this kind of editing and was even told that they prefer incorrect short titles instead of correct long ones because it gets in the way of bringing people in for their raid battles.

They prefer to have the location information dispersed throughout the cell rather than correct.

As a side note, Wayfarer is currently trying to organize a global challenge in Spain, Italy, or Taiwan.

It has long been noted that some countries have low quality wayspot piles with inaccurate location information.

Therefore, I am concerned that if the Wayfarer Challenge further degrades the current environment, we will not be able to hold anomaly and mission days in the correct environment.

And this year, Madrid, Palermo, and Taichung. It's all there.