Adding smaller bundles (Nano Packs) to the Store

Later today, I'm adding the following new, smaller bundles of 10-25 items to the Store to test whether smaller quantities of items is a useful option:

• Nano Pack (XMP): XMP x25 at your level (up to L6), 1200 CMU.
  • Nano Pack (Ultra Strike): Ultra Strike x10 at your level (up to L6), 1200 CMU.
  • Nano Pack (Resonator): Resonator x20 at your level (up to L6), 1200 CMU.

This is starting with a staggered release where Nano Packs will only be visible to agents Level 1-6. We'll look at feedback and usage before rolling it out more widely.

In an upcoming update, we're also planning to show agents Nano Packs in the Attack and Deploy carousels to help agents quickly access featured Store items, starting with new recruits or agents Level 1-6.

Thank you,

Brian

Tagged:

Comments

• Also @NianticBrian, given that any deployed portal requires a variety of resonators by level, will the nano packs vary the resonators at all? Like a Level 6 Agent can only deploy 2 R6s, 2 R5s, and 4 R4s, so selling them 20 R6s, where at level 4 they were getting 20 R4s, might not be a great plan.

• MoogModularMoogModular ✭✭✭✭✭

A deployer pack we saw during Umbra would probably work as something for everyone. I don't know if it was that or the one passcode where the XM was rainbow for Pride that also was a neat mix of resos. It's not so much L6 but getting all 8 on the board to enable linking and fields

• 1valdis1valdis ✭✭✭✭✭

I think you'd better develop some new gameplay features to gain more players instead of trying to suck everything from what's left of the playerbase after bad start of Prime and closure of Redacted.

• @Perringaiden this hypothetical scenario is reaching. I'm not saying these Nano Packs are going to get us to 100% new player retention, but it certainly won't drive many players to lives of crime. Players who choose to buy Ingress items on eBay or from unauthorized item sellers will be banned, like the 22K accounts in a recent wave: https://nianticlabs.com/blog/cheatingupdate-081419/

• I hope Niantic continues to catch both spoofers and gear sellers and their bots, but we've always been told that buyer's will only have their items removed.

Also, I'm not sure if you saw this one but back in Reddit there was a good thread on ideas of what to sell, when the community didn't like the idea of selling high level gear: https://www.reddit.com/r/IngressPrimeFeedback/comments/9utchs/megathread_inapp_purchase_replacements/

• SoylentGrienSoylentGrien ✭✭✭✭✭

Anomaly packs excluded, the only items that should be in the store are things you can't hack.

• @Claudija @RoadRunn3r having worked on the Google+ launch before joining Niantic to work on the original Ingress launch, yes, finding ways to fill these gaps are top of mind. And there are some considerable gaps now that G+, Communities, and the Community Directory are gone. I'd eventually like to help new players answer those questions of, "Hey, I'm new here, is there anyone playing near me?" and "How do I move?" But right now, I also need more data on possible sustainable paths forward for Ingress.

• Nano packs sound like an interesting idea - it will be good to see how they work out at helping with player retention. As several others have noted, please leave them in the store. The carousels already cause some usability issues with selecting the item you want and having links to the store seems likely to add to those issues/make it worse when things are mis clicked.

when PoGo came out and postcards were added, I immediately thought something similar could be added to Ingress. Instead of sending direct to another player tho, they could be sent from one portal to another via links similar to shard traveling. This would make link direction more meaningful too - the postcard could only be sent across an outgoing link, possibly only when the link is created. The postcard items could be akin to media or include items. It encourages collaboration - the postcard would be available next hack, regardless of faction.

I‘d happily buy a bundle of postcards to send out, even if only a single item could be attached.

• tengN69tengN69 ✭✭
    edited October 2019

THESE

+9999999999999999999999999999999999999999

maybe they(Niantic) didnt feel how much hate and dislike happened the time they initially sell hackable items in the store? numbness. repeat action.

the reddit thread got lists of what the players would likely pay for other than things than can be obtained through hacking.

I was expecting something similar to Pogo's 100pokecoins for a very minimal price on a daily basis and have it for CMU instead.

• 1valdis1valdis ✭✭✭✭✭

The community has plethora of clewer people suggesting interesting ideas for unobtrusive monetization; instead, you make anomalies paid-only and now are trying to put some purchasable sh..stuff into carousels, overusing that "make more sustainable" phrase as a mantra / excuse for these bad decisions. Facepalm. You say you're listening, but I don't see that.