Guardian Medal

Comments

• Yes! Sure, I've had spoofer assholes **** my long time Guardians in remote places. (An L6 account with a random name that's never captured a single portal kills my Guardian out in the sea where you can't go without a private boat, and then don't even bother to capture the portal. Right...)

Still, it's a fun challenge to try to find really remote portals. And though I've learned I can never get 150 days where I live, there are a lot of other places in the world. I have four that's 300+ days at the moment, in different countries.

Mostly I suppose I'm really annoyed that when the badge was removed (April 2, 2018) I was just a few days from the onyx limit Niantic set. ☹️

• Yes. New players need to experience it as well.

• sanshinesanshine ✭✭✭

@PhaseolusV ooo, a conspiracy theory, I love it XD

• HydracyanHydracyan ✭✭✭✭✭

Make It cumulative like Gold badge in Pokémon. Each portal having a countown of days held, not mattering If It was destroyed.

Instead of 150, made It 360 and most people would still struggle to get It over 2 years.

• I was so pleased when guardian medal was gone, because new players wanted to leave the game when all their guardians fell. I just saw hate and anger between the two factions about guardians.

But no one recharge portals in lost locations any more. And I miss guardians 😅

• MoogModularMoogModular ✭✭✭✭✭

Absolutely not. The badge has caused so much trouble and strife for agents.

• @sanshine yeah ... when that comms blackout looked like it was going to drag on for a few hours, first of all I was annoyed I couldn't leave work and drive an hour or two into the country. And of course comms came back online before I left work. Second, I commented in one of my local faction's chats "If they take away the guardian medal in (counts on fingers) first week or two of April, I'm really gonna be suspicious...".

And then that's exactly when it happened.

• ReighElmosReighElmos ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019

As it was, no.

So much heart ache and contempt between factions is a direct result this badge. Sadly I fear that as long as the players who lived through the endless scraping and old age guardian hits, will never properly reconcile.

That said, I would likely be in favor of a version of it where it counts differently. For example, simply making it so you control a portal for 150 cumulative days. (Which is honestly pretty easy, so you could make it 300/500.) This way the portal couldn't be permanently denied. you get 130 days on a portal it gets taken down. you come back and capture it 3 days later. On that forth day the counter ticks up to 131. Yes the opponent could slow you down and return an element of competitiveness but ultimately if you wanted the badge you would get it given enough time.

• DigitalisDigitalis ✭✭✭

as the agent that put joe philley out of the game - no, its done. we didnt see eye to eye but agreed to disagree on the subject. i promised i would get his, and did.

he got his wish, as did i. time for guardian has long passed. let it rest.

• BarthaxBarthax ✭✭✭

As it was Guardian was not the best & is rightly ended. However, if they were to revive or create a new badge which was for holding portals (total, all portals) that would promote the similar aspect of the game without the drama.

• That badge is best retired. It promoted animosity on both sides and led to all kinds of cheating game-play. I don't see much evidence of that style of game-play anymore, most of the guardian-killers have quit and cross-faction events have picked up and are much more amicable.

• Yes, the badge makes for me the difference between ingress and games Pokémon go.

• d0gboyd0gboy ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019

• d0gboyd0gboy ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019

[duplicated post edited to blank]

• ArtilectZedArtilectZed ✭✭✭✭✭

Nope, and the badge should be hidden in the scanner. Bury it out back, in an unmarked grave, and scrub it from the history books.

• GrnTyrantGrnTyrant ✭✭
    edited June 2019

people have moved on from Guardian hunting to OPR hunting. They have a new focus to disrupt areas and agents they know who do OPR to gain badges, so they focus on particular subs coming through for areas under strong control by a faction and then reject reject reject. Yet, Nia do not enforce TOS violiations in this area as they outlined they would do when OPR was roled out.

• MajeyeMajeye ✭✭✭

I fully agree with @GibsonGirl71

Guardian should remain a dead stat/medal. Leave it gone. I've heard all the horror stories from local agents in my area regarding this medal, I don't want to hear or see people getting mad at each other over a virtual item in a mobile video game, it's super ridiculous and immature.

R.I.P Guardian, and may you never return for the aforementioned reasons.

• MajeyeMajeye ✭✭✭

• MajeyeMajeye ✭✭✭

I fully agree with @GibsonGirl71

Guardian should remain a dead stat/medal. Leave it gone. I've heard all the horror stories from local agents in my area regarding this medal, I don't want to hear or see people getting mad at each other over a virtual item in a mobile video game, it's super ridiculous and immature.

• MajeyeMajeye ✭✭✭

In my area, this is not at all accurate. We have a fantastic cross-fac chat room where the only thing discussed is how to improve the portal network via OPR. We don't just accept/deny portals in our local area either, it's worldwide. Hopefully other areas have something similar.

• No reason to bring it back at this point.nice that's its gone