How would you have rated this? (Distillery)

While reviewing, I came across this nomination of a distillery and was torn between giving it a 1-star as an adult-oriented business or 5-stars because they offered tours. Ultimately, I played it safe for younger travliers and decided to go with 1-star. But how would you have rated it?

Tagged:

Comments

• I'd likely have given it a 4*.

• Some distilleries allow parents to take their kids along. Nothing wrong with seeing how something is made, although they wouldn't get into the tastings. I'd have passed it.

• KliffingtonKliffington ✭✭✭✭✭

Bars are allowed so I don't see why these wouldn't be as well

• Whoab0tWhoab0t ✭✭✭

I'm with everyone who said 4 or 5 stars (and would've moved the marker to the building if it was on the sign outside).

To me, an adult-oriented business is like, a **** club or something similar. You're there for adult stuff. Most breweries and distilleries (every one I've ever been to, for that matter) are accommodating to non-drinkers, children, families, etc. They might have a baller food menu. They're just good places to hang out.

Tour offers make me lean closer to a 5. There's a bit of educational value in that.

• ZaltysZaltys ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019

Four stars, maybe five, depending on the portal density for the area. The guide specifically mentions that `Establishments that serve alcoholic beverages like bars and pubs are acceptable`, so I assume that distilleries are also acceptable. Even though liquor stores aren't.

• Why is a distillery a portal and not a generic business?

• I'm not sure every distillery would be a good POI, but this one is fairly unique in how they practice their craft, and they hold tours and tastings that offer educational/tourist value. Even if you don't drink, distillery tours are a fun experience.

https://www.mayberryspirits.com

• The reason I ask is if you're spending 30s reviewing each portal (and unless there's a good reason, you shouldn't need more than that), it doesn't jump out as anything but a distillery of which there are plenty.

• If you're only spending 30 seconds a portal I'm scared to even ask what your approval:rejection ratio is.

• TheFarixTheFarix ✭✭✭✭✭

Very few portals need more than a couple of minutes of evaluation.

• edited October 2019

Uh, what's unique about a distillery. Everything is generic until there's something unique about it. I can't prove something is generic, you have to prove it's unique. That's how this works.

In 2018, there were more than 1500 distilleries, just in the USA.

• How much time are you wasting on every portal? Many portals only take 10-15 seconds to confirm they exist, and are not a duplicate. Evaluation like "Is a park a portal?" aren't needed, because they are.

If I spend more than 30s on a portal, it's usually because either it's misplaced or there's something wrong with it that I need to confirm before rejecting.

As for approve/reject, I've got currently a 70% agreement rate, with 26% approved and 44% rejected, but the Rejected is dropping (an Approved rising) because a large amount of my agreements were from the early days where 60-70% of portals were instant rejections.

• A lot of portals are quick to review, yes, but I'm not in the instant 1 star mindset like a lot of people on OPR. If I see a claim to fame or something for a business I fact check it rather than jumping to generic business. If it's something in the wrong place, I try to find it nearby instead of jumping to mismatched location. Those take a little more than 30 seconds

• You're implying that fast = rejection. In truth, portals that are valid, well placed and not based on opinion, are the fastest portals to review, because there's no work to be done. Rejecting portals might be quick if you're attempting to cheat, but when reviewing properly, they can take longer if you have to confirm things like it's a misplaced duplicate etc.

But still the vast majority of those take less than 30s to confirm.

• ZaltysZaltys ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019

There's 327 million people in USA, and roughly 19495 towns. One distillery per 225 000 people, and less than one town in ten have distilleries. That's not by any stretch what I'd call 'generic'.

Niantic calls the category Generic Local Businesses'. So as I see it, the guideline is for businesses that you can expect to find anywhere: fast food restaurants, grocery stores, gas stations, barbers, drugstores, and so on. Those need something special to be approved.

Though obviously, non-generic businesses such as distilleries still need to be evaluated. Being rare doesn't mean that they get an automatic pass. For intance, if the place looks shabby and is likely to go out of business soon, it's clearly not a good nomination.

Post edited by Zaltys on
  • kholman1kholman1 ✭✭✭✭

I think the issue stems from people don't even try to prove why it is important. Taps or just a sign without a description is asking for generic business in my opinion. Like I am not against them but we do need to know why it is important because from what I have seen when voting people just submit every bar because they think it is cultural without even giving us the information behind it. Not to mention getting generic beer signs, taps etc is likely why a lot of these are 1*'d to begin with.

• edited October 2019

there's nothing in the portal criteria that says uniqueness is a required attribute for nominations. being a popular tourist attraction is a quality, being a popular spot where locals gather is a quality. i looked and looked and found nothing about needing "to prove it's unique" weird, almost like you decided that was part of the criteria. you think 1500 is lot? how many freaking churches are there in this country? are they all "unique"? certainly not, my town is 6 square miles, and off the top of my head, i can think of over 20 churches here, all portals. every playground, every pavilion/gazebo too. nothing unique about those. do you know how many distilleries we have? ZERO. and if we had one, i certainly wouldn't consider that a generic business. in fact, i would dare to say that might considered unique!

Post edited by StallionMang on
  • edited October 2019

there's nothing in the portal criteria that says uniqueness is a required attribute for nominations.

Unique being the opposite of generic. Just FYI. Generic local businesses are a pass, so therefore local businesses need to be unique to be portal worthy.

Churches are not rated on their uniqueness, they're a "nod to a higher power". The same criteria doesn't apply. Same goes for all your other examples, showing you really don't understand how the criteria work.

From Wayfarer:

Generic Local Businesses

Generic local businesses don’t meet criteria on their own without having historical/cultural value, community significance, or distinctive architecture.

So therefore, a local business is only accepted if it has historical/cultural value, community significance, or distinctive architecture. I'm not seeing any information or images that would support that claim, on the portal submission.

• dErP, yOu dOnT kNoW hOw tO rAtE mAh pOrTals gOoD!

Ffs, if my community had a distillery it would be a unique business BECAUSE IT WOULD BE THE LITERAL DEFINITION OF UNIQUE

Definition of unique

being the only one SOLE

being without a like or equal UNEQUALED

• 4* or so. Especially if they do tours etc. They're generally quite unique and put the area on the map with their produce

• Did you read the OP? It had a clear description as to why it is unique and should be accepted. I think if reviewers took more than "only take 10-15 seconds to confirm they exist" and actually READ THE BLOODY DESCRIPTION ANS SUPPORTING STATEMENT you would see that a portal is unique or historic or a local hot spot.

• kholman1kholman1 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

You do realize how many people just submit information on a brewery/bar with no back up detail? Ranting is not fixing the issue. I have seen so many bars submitted with missing description or no supporting statement. Sorry I am tired of seeing every bar getting submitted with no supporting statements as to why it is important. I have seriously gotten bar taps or even barrels containing beer. I do read the support statements. Submitting a generic, sign, bar taps, or barrels of beer isn't valid. First off I said a lot of these as in breweries or bars as I have seen bad submissions. This one is likely a 3-4* depending on all criteria but the onus is on the submitter to provide the supporting documents and not blame the reviewers because a bar is denied when it has a basic description.

• After taking more than 30 seconds to check it out and do a google search, I'd have given it 4*. Apparently, unlike some others here, I like unique and interesting portals instead of the generic "blah blah blah light pole #78" or "Generic public exercise equipment #95".