New portal clarifications from Wayfarer's Help

The help pages for Wayfarer have some new details about acceptable / not acceptable portal candidates. Posting here for separate discussion.

This list is from the bottom of their 'Potentially Confusing Nominations' page.

Additional Examples and Guidelines

• Athletic fields - Eligible, as long as they are publicly accessible. If the fields are marked by signs, submit the signs as Wayspots. Also, ensure that the Wayspot appears to be at least 40 meters away from a private residence.
  • Building foundation stones - Eligible, if they demonstrate historical value.
  • Charity drop-boxes - Ineligible, as they are mass-produced objects.
  • Flagpoles - Ineligible, as they are mass-produced objects. Only with accompanying plaque or info board detailing cultural or historical significance. 
  • Lighthouses - Eligible, as long as they’re accessible by foot.
  • Memorial bench/plaques - Eligible, if dedicated to a noteworthy member of a community or historical figure. 
  • Objects installed in a series - Objects installed in a series can be submitted as a group or individually, depending on the distance between them. If they are relatively close together and share a single sign, consider them as a single Wayspot, but please ensure that the objects are in fact related before nominating. If they are relatively far apart, consider them as multiple Wayspots. 
  • Playgrounds - Eligible, as long as they are not located on primary and secondary school grounds, child care centers, day care centers, or private residential property. Indoor playgrounds should be evaluated on their cultural and historical significance.  
  • Post offices - Eligible, as long as they are standalone buildings rather than individual postboxes, windows, etc. 
  • Sidewalk stencils - Ineligible, as they are not permanent.
  • Signs for locations/objects that are already existing Wayspots - Eligible, if they are a significant distance from the object or location. For example, a sign for a monument could be a separate Wayspot than the monument itself. If a sign for Wayspot is nearby the Wayspot itself, it can be used as a supplementary photo for the existing Wayspot. 
  • Swimming pools - Eligible, if not located on private residential property. 
  • Trailheads, trail markers, mile/distance markers, etc. - Acceptable, if they have a trail name on them. Simple mile markers along a trail with nothing other than a number should be rejected.

Comments

• GearGliderGearGlider ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, changing memorial bench/plaque to "eligable if" instead of "uneligable unless" hopefully makes them approved more often.

Especially since this'll be the guideline a lot of pokemon go players see

• Athletic field wayspots needing to be "at least 40 meters away from a private residence" is the strongest wording we have seen for that restriction. I haven't seen it attached to anything else though.

• SoylentGrienSoylentGrien ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing about dog poop stations and electricity transmission towers? 🤣🤣🤣

• Here is the updated guidelines for cemeteries, burial grounds and gravestones. Note that the old candidate guide (with the 1-5 star suggestions and restrictions) does not appear to be anywhere on the new site.

-------------------------

Cemeteries, Burial Grounds, and Gravestones

Avoid nominations whose real-world locations appear to be cemeteries, burial grounds, or gravestones. Gravestones may be accepted, but only if the gravestone is publicly accessible and it belongs to a historical figure or significant community figure.

Eligible:

This gravestone belongs to a prominent cultural and historical figure, is publicly accessible, and is a popular tourist destination.

Memorials

Memorials are eligible, but only for significant figures in a community or for significant events. Memorials that contain human remains should adhere to the acceptance criteria for gravestones. 

Eligible:

This plaque contains detailed information about why this person is a significant historical figure.

• AgentB0ssAgentB0ss ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure how I feel about the Sidewalk stencils there is plenty of sidewalk art that is permanent paint made specifically not to wear down.

• InDaHausSBUInDaHausSBU ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019

Everything is very well explained, now it is only necessary for people to read it and stop rejecting portals that they should accept.

As for example paid paintings made in the metal blinds of some stores to avoid signature graffiti.

A example:

Barcelona have a lot of very good street art but I do not know why the people keep rejecting it :/ Maybe it is the same at others cities...

"Athletic fields - Eligible, as long as they are publicly accessible"

Need clarification on this. The usual suspect is claiming this means sports fields on school grounds are now acceptable.

• AgentB0ssAgentB0ss ✭✭✭✭✭

Don’t worry, i am about to shut him down, he won’t accept it but whatever. Schools are still specifically on the do not submit list even listed in Wayfarer.

I know they aren't but it needs to be explicit that this overrides any other acceptance criteria.

• kholman1kholman1 ✭✭✭✭

first off they said use best judgement within 40m and it was not automatically a denial to begin with. They said deny it if it requires access to a private driveway or appears on the private residence and 40m removal will be up to the property owners request for removal they are not doing any 40m take downs unless requested.

• KliffingtonKliffington ✭✭✭✭✭

This was my interpretation and I asked in the AMA for clarity but this guideline seems to change things?

• kholman1kholman1 ✭✭✭✭

Eh the guide is very misleading as it is. For months we were told that indoor playgrounds at fast food places were valid now we have to grade them on cultural and historical significance excuse me why though? There is very little to nothing historical or cultural about an outdoor playground let alone an indoor one. This line makes no sense and it is going to lead to a bunch of 1* because agents will assume it isn't worth it with lacking historical or cultural significance. This is a no brainer follow your previous guidelines there should not be an restriction on indoor playgrounds that makes absolutely no sense

Also they got rid of the suggested rating guide and many of the things in it.

• kholman1kholman1 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019

I guess when they are flooded with complaints when things that should be valid are denied they will fix it. It feels like they completely just threw out any rules they had and changed their stance on anything that was said. Lets hope agents don't get poor status due to poor communications on niantic's part! I feel like they did something that is going to drag the system down short term. Why can't they just keep their word when they say things instead of flip flopping? The new guide doesn't even lineup with historical answers and it seems short of even a goal of getting a standard on what should be approved.

• kholman1kholman1 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019

@Kliffington the athletic field comment isn't clear but were they saying make sure it wasn't a part of the of the private residence? because why 40m for this one but not the rest see this is where the guide begins to fall apart. There are a lot park athletic fields next to private residential property what makes these special? I think this is another typo or ambiguous wording that should have been left out. Like they could have said make sure to access the field you are not within 40m of a private residence but they just said 40m randomly this is needs clarification asap.

It is really inconsistently written and they've excluded things they really need to include. Like military base submissions, still not listed as a blanket ban and is only under obstructing emergency services

• kholman1kholman1 ✭✭✭✭

yes and not to mention they just went against several AMAs with the changes and did not go in detail on what puzzle piece goes where in the new rules. I can see people losing great status due to the inconsistencies and contradictory guidelines.

• TheFarixTheFarix ✭✭✭✭✭

We don't know, but it probably wasn't a good idea to have a blanket accept guideline anyways. Use your best judgement on which pools would meet the conditions under "Local attractions and hidden gems" and which do not.