Speed Lock Behavior Still Problematic

2.31.2 addresses almost all of my complaints and looks great, but there's still one major reproducible playability issue for me, and that's the fact that switching focus off of Prime, moving more than a couple hundred meters at any speed, and switching focus back to Prime will cause me to be in a speed-locked state (unable to hack, deploy, attack, search for missions, etc). From a user perspective, Prime appears to have a stale location when it first regains focus, and then within a couple of seconds it acquires the new position.

Common scenarios where this occurs for me is a) if I am traveling from one city to another, and have Prime open in the first city, switch to navigation while driving, and then open Prime in the second city, b) am biking from one portal to another and blank the screen between portals, or c) simply walking several blocks and switch to a chat app or check my email while walking. If I either leave Prime open in the foreground for the entire trip, or fully quit and restart Prime upon arriving, I am fine. But resuming it from a backgrounded state is a guaranteed speed-lock.

I hope this is something that gets addressed soon.

Tagged:

Comments

• i have issues with this is as well, using in the same fashion as described above.

• jontebulajontebula ✭✭✭✭✭

Same problem here

• Same for me. Please fix this.

• Issue being experienced also on Android 9 / Samsung 10. Have to use the screen touch lock facility which leaves Prime fully operational before putting handset in my pocket which doesn't exactly reap the rewards of any battery saving.

• Same gere.... please fix asap

• I'm a victim of this gameplay-destroying bug too. Tested on two different devices (android 8 and android 9).

I'm primarily bike-gressing, and turn screen off between portals. (with Prime being even more battery-hungry, it's become even more necessary) I'm speedlocked several times on my 15 km bike commute to/from work. This was NEVER an issue with Redacted Scanner

• Snap, same problem sill here on Galaxy S10+. Was defending against a BAF on Friday night, and the whole "start Prime, diddle with portal, remember to close Prime, go to next portal" cycle is annoying to put it mildly. Okay, so it's not as irritating as speedlocking oneself on foot after having the cheek to put Prime into the background and catch a few Pokemon between widely spread portals ... but it's still irritating.

• I think this was fixed in latest version... At least I don't encounter "Scanner communication error(1)" anymore... This is what I got when I switched back to Ingress and my location changed in meantime...

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

I still encounter both issues on a daily baais

• grendelwulfgrendelwulf ✭✭✭✭✭

I see a lot of people saying they get speedlocked, but no one is saying how long it actually lasts. Even on redacted you could get it anywhere from 10 seconds to 5 minutes depending on how far and how fast you were moving when you got speedlocked. We know it happens, but it would help the dev team out a lot more if you shared how far and fast you moved with the phone in the background and how long the speedlock actually lasted.

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

Because the time can vary from 5 minutes to an hour, WALKING

• grendelwulfgrendelwulf ✭✭✭✭✭

1 Why would you keep an application running in the background a full hour while walking? Either **** it to save battery or leave it running in the foreground the whole the to get Trekker points.

2. I bounced locations 20 miles apart tonight without getting speedlocked, so I think they've turned it off.

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

When the application is in the background it isn't sing much processor power, so if you are doing something else like, playing Walking Dead:Our World, you can jump back to Ingress to continue.

Out in the suburbs there is a lot of space between portals, and trekker counts between actions.

As for not getting speed locked, what wizardry are you using?

• Have just popped out for lunch, so driving for a 4-5 minute journey of just under a mile ...

Outbound journey with Prime open and active = could hack portal at the other end immediately on parking (handbrake on, grab phone, hack portal, probably took no more than 5 seconds).

Return journey with Prime in background and the phone closed = took about a minute before I could recharge after parking.

Phone's a Galaxy S10+ with Android 9. GPS conditions were just fine with no wandering around, no large buildings or coverage.

Can reproduce this time after time after time.

• I have to correct myself here... Issue is definetly NOT fixed... It got little better, so I don't get speed locked that often, but it still happens where it shouldn't...

I use Prime when on Tram, and I switch between it and some other app (Kindle) and when I get back I am sometimes speed locked (not always)... from one station to another...

Fix this ASAP pleaseeeee....

• Same here, please bring back "force sync" back into Prime!

• jontebulajontebula ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope Niantic work hard to bring back force synd and work hard with signal bug when we have strong or low or bad connection Prime get signal bug.

• slipsecslipsec ✭✭✭

I'v not seen any public acknowledgement of this yet.

@RedSoloCup @NianticBrian @NianticCasey Can you at least please tell us it is being worked on?

Thanks

• Kevinsky86Kevinsky86 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019

Yes the speedlock issue is massively inconventient.

If you don't explicitly close the scanner each time you move by any kind of faster then walking transport it triggeres a very agressive speedlock that takes minutes to disappear.

• Thanks for the info Brian, much appreciated.

• M42M42 ✭✭✭

Thanks Brian, it's great to know this is being worked on.

• I believe this is only happening on Android.

• I REALLY HATE THE SPEED LOCK IN PRIME THAT CAUSES ME TO NO LONGER BEING ABLE TO PLAY PROPERLY ON PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION.

And *breathe*

I really, really, REALLY hope this gets resolved soon (no TM).

• rz231rz231 ✭✭✭

Any update on this issue?

I have this problem every time I do something before getting on board my train, travel for some 10 minutes and try another portal action = "scanner communication error". Distance covered during travel time is less then 4km (as the Crowe flies). Never had this "speedlock" problem with Redacted. It really sucks.

B.t.w. the Error message itself is completely misleading.

• Add to that the loading behavior - both issues have been reported over and over since the very beginning of Beta, without any feedback from NIA besides "not a priority right now". I'll believe in actual improvements when I see them. This is essential core functionality that has been intentionally ignored for over a year! Hell, I could've coped with the original shitty UI and bling bling graphics way better if I had had the impression that Niantic is at least working on getting the very core of Prime working