How 5G could improve Ingress Prime gameplay?

Well, the idea is simple, im looking for a real-time portal fight with 0 latency between portal neutralizing, capturing/modding.

What do you guys expect?

Comments

• Bandwidth isn't the only factor in latency.

• DigitalisDigitalis ✭✭✭

network congestion will always be an issue.

0 latency is not achievable with current or near future technology, especially to a worldwide audience.

• ArtilectZedArtilectZed ✭✭✭✭✭

The servers would have to be able to keep up with it, I don't think that would happen anywhere near real-time.

• Uhh, well now i'm a bit dissapointed...

But what could improve with 5G?

Any idea?

• Watching 4k videos :-)

• SonicgottSonicgott ✭✭✭✭

5G for Ingress is like cracking a walnut with a sledgehammer. It isn't even needed. The GPS chip in your phone reports the location, the data connection sends information to Niantic's servers. 5G isn't remotely required for that and wouldn't change anything.

As has been mentioned, latency is something that cellular companies struggle with sometimes. Depends on the area.

• ArtilectZedArtilectZed ✭✭✭✭✭

People are going to be very disappointed by 5G for a while. Millimeter wave signal does not propagate very well, just a few hundred to one thousand feet or so, when looking at what the US carriers are using. LTE/4G is going to be in use for a long time to come.

• caderouxcaderoux ✭✭✭

What do I expect? Nothing really in gameplay. Maybe portal images and mission badge screens will not be as sluggish to pull all that data down.