Speedlock due to GPS

when ingress is not totally closed so running on the background when opening the app the GPS will briefly be at the previous vistited location after refresh it will hop to current location giving an instant speedlock.

previously speed was calculate with the action on portal and now this gives you not even time to play when you are only a short moment at a location.

Comments

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

yes this is reported long now.. best is to close the app if u are travel fast between one stop and next and open once u stand still otherwise u get speedlock :/

• The workarounds really aren't reasonable. If I am multitasking and walking while playing I shouldn't be constantly locked out of playing every time I check another program and walk a block.

THIS problem is the single reason I can't get my sister to play ingress anymore.

• SonicgottSonicgott ✭✭✭✭

Oddly enough, speed lock doesn’t function well on iPhone.

Not that I recommend it, but I’ve been able to deploy resos on portals at 60mph.

• grendelwulfgrendelwulf ✭✭✭✭✭

If you're walking with ingress in the background you're not moving far enough fast enough to trip speedlock for more than ten seconds. I power hiked between two portals 500 meters apart recently with ingress in the background the whole time to test this and got less than a ten second speedlock

• When I cycling, I turn off the screen to safe batterylife and just turn id on by aproaching another portal and I don't wanna wait 10 sec. on every portal just for 1 drive-by-hack 🤮

• TheFarixTheFarix ✭✭✭✭✭

This is a known bug and one that Niantic hasn't gotten around to fix. There are two sollusions though. One is to keep the Ingress app active at all times. But if that is not possible, then shut the app down while traveling and reopen it once you reach your destination.

• This is so annoying I just got speedlocked after walking 5minutes at a speed of ~4km/h. Where is the promised parity Niantic?

• Jac1891Jac1891 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019

+1

Polemic mode ON

The funny thing is that they don't ban openly flying players, but there are these softban all the time.

Polemic mode OFF

• The length of speedlock does seem to vary quite a bit, and even a 10 second speedlock can be annoying when trying to actively swap between 2 different apps. If I am walking around and I hack a portal and then I walk more than 1 block, I get speedlocked, or otherwise am unable to interact with the game. The length of lock does seem to vary and I remember a specific case last week where I drove about a half mile with Ingress in the background and was then able to walk 2 full blocks before the speedlock finally let me play again.

• can we just get an icon to display when we are speedlocked, then we know when we can, and cannot try to deploy.

• HosetteHosette ✭✭✭✭✭

Plus a million on this. I haven't had much time to play this week, but I had a few minutes to wander through and tidy up my neighborhood on the way home from work today. Only I couldn't... I spent 15 minutes sitting in the same place getting scanner communication errors every time I tried to hack.

Oh well.

• I have had to force close the app in the background and restart to work around the speedlock if I change location after driving although I wasn't playing along the way.

Boot up time makes this extremely painful. Thanks to this and how Prime drains my mobile battery so much, I have cut down my play time by 90% easily

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

I reported this as a bug 11 months ago

• kireankirean ✭✭✭

This is a huge problem in my community,.

• I don't get speedlock if I have Prime open (even if I drive faster then 60 km/h). But the game really use a lot of battery, so that isn't a really smart solution.

• Please fix this, it is a huge pain when bikegressing because I can't leave the app open when the phone is in my pocket. Waiting 30-60 seconds for the app to restart is not an acceptable workaround.

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

@NianticBrian Can you please state whether this 12 month outstanding issue, is due to the planned addition of Adventure-Sync?

• This bug is the NUMBER 1 most annoying in prime .... It's not just a cosmetic or UX/UI bug, it's a real game-play bug !