OPR in the news on PokemonHub....

Answers

• AgentB0ssAgentB0ss ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019

For the case of common things at parks, Significant while not defined by Niantic is up to the reviewers interpretation.

Example: A Picnic Table artfully painted to resemble a piano, while the picnic table is common, the art makes it unique and significant enough to be a portal.

Example: A Bench relocated to a park from the white house that was used by such and such president of the united states. Could be considered historically significant. This requires proof and documentation.

Example: A drinking water fountain, the first one ever installed in the whole united states... again needs documentation.

Significant can refer to a lot of things, but at the end of the day its up to the reviewer to decide. The more evidence provided the better, actual proof that specific object was used/is/was very important. Or again looks so much more unique than other versions of that item.

Edit: Also this:

• I will respond in a bit. Got a few things to finish up for work.

• TimerCIock — Do you reject little free libraries in parks?

• 0X00FF000X00FF00 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AgentB0ss @Ochemist

What if somebody built a LFL and attached it to a Dog Poop station in the park? For the purposes of this mind experiment, we won't consider how far away it is from the main sidewalk.

See this is a difficult questions, personally I would approve because LFL. However, LFL = PRP for TimerCiock so likely a denial because PRP = Ingress created problem and he wants to be apart of that.

• GearGliderGearGlider ✭✭✭✭✭

Is the LFL built and put there by the park or by some random person with no approval from the park?

• 0X00FF000X00FF00 ✭✭✭✭✭

Remember the Wall Street bull? It's an iconic artwork, and is definitely a portal.

But it was a renegade/guerrilla artwork installation, placed with no permission.

I suggest we assume that the LFL has been there long enough to be visible on Google Street View.

Speaking of I haven't heard back from my town in a couple days on my LFL request.... HAHA

• TimerCIockTimerCIock ✭✭
    edited October 2019

Okay. Back to the response.

Yes a picnic table is common, something significant about them. They aren't by themselves. But if you submit them as community seating areas then they are significant..... wow.... no way.... really.... does that meet exactly what you are talking about..... showing significant use. (Made them pretty with plaques being liquid nailed to them and resubmitted, as well 2 submissions ago.....)

Boat ramp. Significant use, is people using them daily for crabbing and fishing and water adventurous activities like jet skiing. Wow.... again meets everything you said. Concrete and wood are manmade objects that are on a natural feature, allowed per help.

Piers. Significant use, is people using them daily for crabbing and fishing. Maryland is well known for its crabs, oysters and rockfish. Concrete and wood are manmade objects that are on a natural feature, allowed per help. B

Other items will be asked in AMA's.....

edited October 2019

Let me go back over these...

"Picnic Tables" = Reject, putting a bunch of "Picnic Tables" together does not make them any less reject.... I really disagree with them... Whats the plaque say?

Boat Ramp/Pier... I am asking about these specifically in the AMA as I believe this could be okay. I think signage is important which yours is lacking unfortunately. I have gotten piers and river access areas approved with signage multiples time. Signage is whats important current, but I can agree the objects should meet possibly and want more clarification. Again though, its your job as the submitter to sell these objects with an amazing description.

These 5 below have been approved in the last 3 months, the bottom 3 had descriptions but were redacted so not in my email.

"C.B. Huss Fishing Pier

Wonderful shaded fishing pier at C.B. Huss Recreation Complex. Enjoy the wonders of the South Fork River while relaxing and fishing off the pier."

"Goat Island River Access

A small canoe and kayak boat launch located at Goat Island Park in Cramerton NC."

Dutchman’s Creek Access Area

Centennial Center Pier

Riverside Park Pier

• We literally have parks nearby with piers. But lately they are impossible. Literally 15 submissions wasted because people do not read or follow the rules that say manmade objects on a natural feature are allowed. Signs are not needed. Non of the piers in my area have them with signs, but are portals.

However, here is where I also go back and say, signs might actually be needed. The only 2 examples given for "mad-made" objects to support a natural feature are a plaque and a sign. Again, I think this is why we need direct clear AMA answers for this.

• I've been submitting piers successful. Example of one.

• Oh no way. Piers and boat ramps are allowed..... Wow no way they are in game! Yeah I know they can be. I'm here to make sure the world is aware to stop rejecting them!

• Everything I've argued is in game one way or another. Just people questioning because it is me. Other areas accept them and submit them.

• 0X00FF000X00FF00 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder what that sign says. In your pic all I see is a stick. On Google Maps all I see is a blur

https://www.google.ca/maps/@39.2569203,-76.4921543,3a,15y,261.64h,83.42t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sTEIP42xIfBCOOFu8sxgWIQ!2e0!7i3328!8i1664?hl=en

• TimerCIockTimerCIock ✭✭
    Answer ✓

Nothing to do with the name.

Here is one rejected.

With a sign!!!!

• @TimerCIock I agree with you about fishing, etc. piers and I and others have gotten 8 or 10 of them accepted in the area over the past year. I'm not sure any had signs.

You haven't mentioned yet if you'd accept a LFL in a park. Any thoughts?

• Honestly, my opinion is this. Until a bird house for a protected species is allowed, I can't personally vote for them. Orioles is a state bird, and protected. But I'm rejecting all the time, until I can get this one. Because it is a valid submission. Orioles are the state bird and birdhouses in parks bring bird watchers to the game.

• People worry about me with things submitting correctly. Yet.... you have this because of ingress opr submission, approvals, and edits.

In Germany in pokemon go currently....

• KliffingtonKliffington ✭✭✭✭✭

We've said many times that piers can go through, you are just bad at submitting them.

The birdhouse is not the same as a LFL. Niantic has specifically said LFL on public property are good candidates. Show me where it says anything about a birdhouse?

• Florida by cocoa beach has something similar too.

• OchemistOchemist ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019

Honestly, my opinion is this. Until a bird house for a protected species is allowed, I can't personally vote for them. Orioles is a state bird, and protected. But I'm rejecting all the time, until I can get this one. Because it is a valid submission. Orioles are the state bird and birdhouses in parks bring bird watchers to the game.

What if I refuse to vote for a bird house until my explicitly-allowed LFL is allowed? Sounds like a stalemate.

But regardless, what does "Tweety Bird" have to do with an oriole specifically? Can you show that that bird house is specifically designed to help a particular kind of endangered bird? That would be interesting and perhaps portal-worthy.

Also you never answered me when I asked you to show me where on the submission guide it says to submit portals a few feet from the POI. I'm still waiting for that

What does this have to do with anything? Are all those gyms in false locations?

• That conglomeration in Germany was created by people who were gaming the OPR system to specifically benefit PoGo. If you open the floodgates and to allow a massive group of PoGo players to do OPR, you'll get a lot more of that kind of thing.

You can’t compare stuff like that in the comments it was confirmed abuse. It shouldn’t exist.

@TimerCIock Why are Little Free Libraries bad candidates?

edited October 2019

Oh I see...doesn't that just prove everyone's point that PoGo players en masse having access to OPR is a concern? That with that power (even through playing Ingress) they will abuse it for things like this? Him posting this to prove a point is odd because he's basically making the point that you can't trust PoGo players...

This discussion has been closed.