No video upload

GersterwindGersterwind ✭✭✭
edited October 2019 in Ingress Community Feedback

I was told to upload a video, but it doesnt seem possible.

First, I pulled out my trusty DSLR, and made a MOV file of about 240 mb. I was informed there was a 50mb limit for files.

Then I cranked up my webcam, and made an 8 mb MP4. I was informed that only jpg, jpeg, GIF, and PNG file formats could be uploaded.

So, I converted my MP4 into an 8 mb gif, which worked great on my computer. I uploaded it successfully, but there is no animation on the uploaded version.

In case my device was defective, or the file was corrupt, too big, etc. I used my phone to make a screen capture video gif, which was even smaller, and had choppy animation. When I uploaded this, it again displayed only as a still image. Can anyone upload any kind of working video?

Tagged:

Comments

• Qu4rdQu4rd ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019

Try to upload it to giphy or imgur or youtube and see if you can post it here.

I tried to download your file a few times and open it in another tab, but I don't see any movement from the .gif and it's only 119kb.

Here is the screenshot of your downloaded file:

And here is an example of a .gif I uploaded directly (lets hope it works, too!):

edit: bah...it does not. that surely takes the fun out of hanging out in the forum :(

• starwortstarwort ✭✭✭✭✭

The odd thing about this is that the download box lies about the file size (presumably that's the size it was when it was uploaded, but it's since been stripped of all except the first frame).

It used to be possible to have animated GIFs here (until roughly August 21 I believe) and then it stopped working. This would seem to be a deliberate "feature", which we weren't told about. What's going on, Niantic?

• I guess if they still had animation, I could show Y'all how my compass doesn't work in prime.

• RostwoldRostwold ✭✭✭✭✭

Try asking how people in the 'drop art' thread are doing it?

• Qu4rdQu4rd ✭✭✭

Just like anomalies, we have been calvinball-ed by them without proper announcement(s).

• starwortstarwort ✭✭✭✭✭

Posts in the Drop Art thread stopped working mid-August. None of the most recent posts in there contain moving images.

• Any news on this? Some suggestions and bug reports would make A LOT more sense if we could submit short videos

• smukskismukski ✭✭

Still not working (May 8th, 2020). I've just tried to paste an animated gif into the post, but it only shows first frame. I got it partially working by uploading to my google drive and then post a sharable link to that, but the size of "video" (animated) was way too small, i.e. not the correct size and the google drive url was also shown.

Kind of taking the fun out of sharing content.

• PhantomR1982PhantomR1982 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

Im not actually sure what your trying to do here at all other than your trying to film a video file for something.

However if it helps out as im on Android and contribute to another game company on the FGC side of things i have to regularly submit youtube video links from my device or direct when i detect gameplay issues.Now i record these as a screen capture with microphone/background audio enabled using a powerful free app (with the option to support it) called "AZ Screen Recorder" and i've had no major issues with it and you can change the screen recording size to reduce the mp4 output file size also however it needs to be android 5.0 or above but doesn't require root however to record and allows screenshots to be taken as well.

Hope that helps.

• GersterwindGersterwind ✭✭✭

Capturing a video is not the issue.

The issue is that posting a video to this forum is not allowed. Send a GIF. It shows one screen frame.

Not that it matters now anyway.

• So just capture the video content and post an external link to it with your post from an image or video sharing site...from my understanding this is just a simple text based forum and not a full featured one like some expensive ones out there that has interactive features like GIF animation and built in video players....this is also a possible low bandwidth alternative for the Niantic Servers.

But Hey What Do I Know :D