24 hours of Prime

entronentron ✭✭✭

A little over 24 hours pure Prime.

I've played quite a bit on Prime up to now but only in "cool mode" for things like missions.

"Real ingress" was always Redacted.

Now I'm no Prime hater, there a lots of things I like in Prime and it has definitely improved enormously since the first release.

But does it cut it compared to redacted for real play?

In a word No.

I'm not complaining about functionality r the different interface, it takes some getting ting used to but many things are actually better.

The real problem is *stability*.

In the past 24 hours I have had the following problems

- unable to deploy resonators (message "cannot deploy". Persisting several minutes in spite of a prime restart and a complete phone reboot. (Almost failed my firs prime operation thanks to this).

- crash trying to throw a link

- "scanner communication error" in spite of having a working network connection and in areas where redacted had no problems

- GPS jumping around (100m jumps), in areas where redacted had no such problems.

Asking around it seems a lot of these issues are due to moving to target with Prime in the background or due to switching applications.

Yet that is exactly how Ingress is played.

It is a game where we have to move to portals and do actions quickly and synchronously in coordination with others. Where actions must go quickly in sequence. When playing defense especially you need to be able to arrive at a portal, capture it and link immediately before the opposition can react. Often seconds count. A crash between capture and link can mean the difference between success and failure. Once you capture your position is known and the other side may link...

Switching between applications (Prime, Telegram, IITC) is frequent.

Prime currently does not cut it for this use case.

Comments

• Huh. Weird. How frequently does the game crash?

• Might be worth mentioning what device/OS version you have as well.

• entronentron ✭✭✭

For what it's worth S8 Android 9.

But many people in my communities have similar problems on various devices.

The advice they have given be has been either **** prime before each action when moving or have a dedicated device for *just* prime, always in the foreground and a secondary device for TG, IITC etc....

As to the frequency in a few hours of (non continuous play) yesterday I had one full lock up, one time entered the profile screen by mistake instead of the power cube usage (no big deal) but it was impossible to leave the profile screen without restarting prime. Many scanner comunication failures. Lots of jumping position.

In intensive play I found it locked up about once every 40 mins but that was a month ago, the latest version *may* be better.

When playing casually it's not a huge deal having to restart, just an annoyance.

But during operations or counter operations bugs can be a deal breaker.

Currently using Prime on operational feels like being a soldier with a gun that may do nothing or explode in your face when used...

• I threw 15-20 fields yesterday, driving some distance between each spine portal and didn't get any of the errors you're mentioning. The one thing I did find was prime locked up on me a couple times when I switched between iitc and the scanner.

I'm sure these things will be ironed out but either way, redacted is gone. If you enjoy playing ingress, keep playing and stop comparing prime to redacted. If you no longer enjoy playing ingress on prime, just stop playing and quit complaining.

• It Crashed more than 5 times for 3h of gameplay.

It is not fun like before, when microfielding was a thing.

To see resonators and how many of energy their have is IMPOSSIBLE to me, without open portal view.

I hope they put more ink in the resonators. And if possible, enough to distinguish which colors they are.

• you get epilepsy when walk and hack

• I had one agent mention problems with the Android version a while ago but I haven’t had issues but then again I was playing mostly on redacted before it shut down and switching to prime for linking. That said maybe it’s time to see if I’m having crashes or lockups.

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

on my s10+ it freezes like 2 times in less the 1 hour.. so weird....

• ComChanseyComChansey ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019

I'm pretty sure they've been having server problems the last bit. Usually it's fine.

I hop between Pogo, discord, Intel map, and Ingress all the time on my Huawei P20 Pro no problems while driving to and stopping at PoI. Maybe one hang up per a long late day/evening grind sesh. I wonder if it's a problem of a lot of portals causing instabilities. Only like 60 portals in my whole city. Though I throw between it and others all the time.

• One of the comments you made brings up my biggest issue so far and that is that the app closes itself when in the background very frequently. I realize this might be my phone's fault, but I didn't have this issue with Redacted. If I switch to something like Slack of Telegram and then swap back to the app, it reboots again. I usually kept Redacted open for days in the background (not on purpose).

• I don’t have these problems. I’m on iOS with a newish phone. Don’t know if that has anything to do with it. It chokes up every once in a while, but I just restart and it’s fixed. I mean, that’s a little irritating, but completely fixable.

• I played for a bit today and it didn’t crash at all.

i’m using iOS 13 on an iPhone 7plus

• CliffMCliffM ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019

It locks up on me regularly, every 30-45 minutes of gameplay. I have a Pixel 3 XL. My fiance has a similar problem with a Pixel 3. We once crashed at the same time, during an Ingress First Saturday, and we crashed within minutes of each other for the remainder of the event.

If I forget to close Ingress between my home area and my work area, I don't get to interact with portals in my work area.

• AkceptorUAAkceptorUA ✭✭✭✭

It works quite fine unless you switch to different app. In that case it normally freezes and you have to **** the task.

Redmi Note 6