What will you miss the most about [REDACTED]?

With the old scanner being put to rest soon, I’d like to know what you all will miss the most about it. 

For me, I honestly really enjoyed the audio and sound effects of the old scanner. How Res, Enl, and neutral portals all emitted different sounds when standing close to them. If you haven’t checked out the post/video about this, you really should. It’s absolutely incredible how much work was put into it. Another one of my favorite sound effects was the sound of resonators exploding. It was such a satisfying shatter to hear. 

Let’s not make this a complain and contrast thread. Just a reminiscing of things we enjoyed. 

Here’s the vid about the audio:

https://youtu.be/2lBs1ZmPDU0

Tagged:

Comments

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a small audio sensitivity.

The sound of resonators breaking has high frequencies which causes severe discomfort and mild pain in the inner ear. So am glad that is going.

Though will miss the simple 3d meshes of assets

• Overhead view while zoomed in at max. I will miss that.

I didn't use audio much past the first few months of play when I was usually playing alone at night in my quiet neighborhood. The ambience it added was fun. I didn't notice the distinctions mentioned though, guess I'll have to look into it.

• TheFarixTheFarix ✭✭✭✭✭

I will miss it crashing ever time my phone connects or disconnects to my car through Android Auto and the frustration of having to see if it will even login in a low signal area.

Wait a minute, I won't miss that at all.

• I, too, loved the sound of shattering glass when the resos were destroyed. Very satisfying.

• ArtilectZedArtilectZed ✭✭✭✭✭

Having to constantly re-open it because I switched over to a different app for a few seconds.

• The nostalgia

• Qu4rdQu4rd ✭✭✭

definitely the organic sound of ENL. and the robotic sound of RES.

all the sounds. even that WHUNGG WHUNNG that wakes you up at 3am. lol.

Please...if anyone made a high quality ringtone (.flac. .mp3, whatever), do share here.

Here is my current ringtone (edited myself to fit one minute) but I would like to change it to Ingress-related. xD

• Definitely the background of the scanner [REDACTED]. Sincerely I don’t like prime. I really hope that nia improves many things.

• KhatreKhatre ✭✭✭✭✭

Audio background.

• SirStarburstSirStarburst ✭✭
    edited September 2019

The slightly lessened speed lock . Prime seems to just be unresponsive after pulling over at a portal after driving for a short period of time with it open in the background.

• For me personally I'll miss the soundscape of [Redacted] the most. Don't get me wrong I love the soundscape and various extra sounds prime offers but after years of listening to the static background sound of Ingress it will be missed. Looking forward to more improvement with Prime sounds. If you haven't heard a shard yet you're missing out.

• Sharpness, font, wonderful quality sounds, the appearance of links and fields, navigate (look around portals) and other things and details that are very good.

• I'll miss the stability of Redacted, not having to restart every time you look at another app.

Having just uninstalled Redacted, I noticed that the checkpoint widget also disappeared! Gonna miss that especially from my screen.

• ArtilectZedArtilectZed ✭✭✭✭✭

Redacted would always close in the background on me. Look at a message on Telegram or Slack, open up my music player, look at Intel, open up a web page, all would **** Redacted. Prime, on the other hand, stays open for hours while doing all those things. I won't have played all day, and find that it was still running in the background 6+ hours later.

• The unlimited description length for portal submissions. The current sub-Tweet length will make interesting submissions much, much harder to get through.

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

I will not shed a tear for Redacted, and it's abysmal framerate on a modern mobile (other than Snapdragon or A Series)

• thesolothesolo ✭✭✭✭✭

The fact that it never crashed on me. Prime currently crashes 5-6 times a day for me.

• AkceptorUAAkceptorUA ✭✭✭✭

My battery won't appreciate Prime at all and I have to agree with it :)

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

Prime froze again as expected 2 times already on 1 hour play, that never happend in redacted :( that i will miss it was so stable and all.. prime isnt.

• Seeing railroads on the map.

• mysticeti:

I’ll miss being able to instantly recognize portals and know things about them (faction, approx level, whether not or not they need to be recharged). I expect to gain this ability in prime on the next month as I get used to the graphics. Aside from that I am enjoying using prime. :)

That's also what I will miss most from Redacted - the ability to hack, deploy, even link from (slower) bus or tram by just two, three taps on the screen. The clear, prominent buttons and dropdown lists that really look like GUI elements - not the unclear, foggy thingies in Prime where I never know where to tap exactly to do things and where everything takes a lot of taps more to do something.

And of course the ability to see exactly where a portal, link or field is and being able to hit a protal correctly when tapping on it - not that dizzy fog on the Prime screen.

• grendelwulfgrendelwulf ✭✭✭✭✭

Huh, redacted crashed on me twice on Sunday when I opened it up to try for nostalgia.

Anyway I'm going to miss the Scoring Widget the most. It was the only thing of Redacted vi still used after nearly a year of Prime.