edited September 2019

@TimerCIock How you would rate the following:

Should this be a Portal: 1-5

Is the Title accurate: 1-5

Is is historically or culturally relevant: 1-5

Is it visually Unique: 1-5

Is the location accurate: 1-5

Can it be safely accessed: 1-5

I can say it is not a duplicate, and the tag is directly on the garden, its also in a neighborhood park area.

• Changing a review because you are worried about a cooldown, by tweaking the review to prevent it, is exactly what you fear with pokemon players. Yet you guys do it daily. It's a massive cluster of chaos, that you may not see but others are dealt. Because your change in vote could be the tipping of the iceberg and caused a rejection. Because your changing the bias on submissions to your opinion for more than you are supposed too.

• AgentB0ssAgentB0ss ✭✭✭✭✭

Please rate how you would review that Bee Garden I posted.

• @TimerCIock

Ingress players are only special because they took a test.

Pokemon players and wizard players can take a test easily.

To be clear, it's more than that. By the time you've gotten to level 12, you will have passed many portals, not just those that turn into stops or gyms, but far more that are not visible in other games.

Are some people bad at it? Yes. But that's what crowd sourcing the data is for.

I used to think PoGo should have access. But the difference is that PoGo players want stops for the sake of more stops. They don't want stops for the POI relevance. Many freely admit that if they could get every McDonalds, KFC, Dunkin Donuts and Verizon store included, they would. And they cite the sponsorship locations as evidence. This would damage Niantic's POI database, not just for PoGo, or Ingress, or WU, but for every other product they make on it.

I think we need PoGo reviewers at some point, but the test has to be far more rigorous (and probably should be for Ingress) to root out those who don't know and won't care, about what quality POI's are.

• Its not cheating, you cant posibble think that ALL churches are 5 start in all categories, it doest not make any sense. In my area Some pictures are perfect, some are not, some titles are good some are poor, some locations are good, some locations are not. See my point?

So you are telling me that in your area, al churches are perfect? and you give them all 5 stars in all categories? No wonder why you get cooldown lol

• You are also purposefully bogging the system down by forcing your submissions to be approved before other people get upgrades.

If I purposefully knew I could cut the line in front of thousands by saying no I dont want to pay for a ticket to concert, I'm just going to continue walking in to the concert and enjoy myself. Forget closing time as well, I'm just going to leave when I feel like it. You do not see how you are doing wrong? And how it will effects others?

Lets get this straight I earned any upgrades I have by helping others. I review others portals which inturn gets their portals approved faster. If I wasnt helping get portals approved I wouldnt have 18,700 agreements, 16100 of which are portals created. Somehow, I am a mosnter in your eyes for helping review OPR?

@TimerCIock How you would rate the following:

Should this be a Portal: 1-5

Is the Title accurate: 1-5

Is is historically or culturally relevant: 1-5

Is it visually Unique: 1-5

Is the location accurate: 1-5

Can it be safely accessed: 1-5

I can say it is not a duplicate, and the tag is directly on the garden, its also in a neighborhood park area.

• GearGliderGearGlider ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
  • Never said monster. I did say cheater, if you purposely abuse the opr system by purposely changing votes and voting patterns for submission reviews to prevent a cooldown than yes you are. You are also altering the data that niantic has and could be causing more problems then you realize.

I'll be back in a few hours.

Please when you get back tell me how you would rate that portal I posted.

• One last thing. Show me when niantic says it's okay to tweak, bend, or cheat reviews to prevent a cooldown.

• GearGliderGearGlider ✭✭✭✭✭

Kinda Hard to rate location accuracy and safe access w/o the street view or satalite view

I agree, thats why I said it was directly on the location and its in a neighborhood park. I more care about the actual should it be a portal, culture, and visual.

• This is absolute ****. Changing votes does not cause rejection, if anything, it causes approval. If a reviewer wants to reject a submission, they would just 1* it. And 1-starring a submission does not require the reviewer to tweak the culturally importance, safety to access etc rating.

• KliffingtonKliffington ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm pretty sure the "lures to commit crimes" thing was done by non-playing criminals who took advantage of the large crowds around lures at launch and in general has no bearing on this conversation.

It's not up to us whether PoGo players will be given OPR access. I'd say that because Niantic just had to settle a lawsuit and the constant updates to add pop ups reminding players to be decent that it's unlikely to happen soon. PoGo players have shown they don't respect boundaries if it gets in the way of their Gameplay. See: Chicago GoFest where when told to evacuate everyone tried to stay until Niantic had to shut down the game to get them to leave.

It's right for Ingress players who have worked hard on building and maintaining the portal network to be concerned about the other players motives. We won't have control over the choice either way but people like Gabriel aren't helping the perception at all.

• harkonnnenharkonnnen ✭✭✭✭

The question initially was something about opening up OPR and the overall consensus was No. Most people thought having trainers review was a bad idea. No clear solution exists atm because there is vastly more to consider.

The next part (from the article linked) was about boycotts and burnt out agents. No proof of this has been established.

The guidelines for reviewing POI leaves a great deal up to each particular agent. While some things like location and safe access are straight cut others are more open to interpretation example painted powerpoles. I'm sure the cultural/visual ratings of these varies alot

• harkonnnenharkonnnen ✭✭✭✭

This is what is both worrying and annoying alot of Agents. It's also what slows down the reviewing process.

Yes some Agents have deliberate tried (and some succeeded) in getting couch portals. The difference now is that sooo many submissions are like this. Yes I think that should becoming active in pogo, but where it actually is. This falls to Niantic to consider tweeking some setting etc to tske such areas into account.

• kholman1kholman1 ✭✭✭✭

This whole thread has been very time consuming and I feel like we are wasting our time with it. I just submit candidates that I try to fit in candidacy as best as possible I have had to do resubmitting of portals due to rejections and I have had to accept the fact when I made a mistake. I also don't try to send in the same thing 20 times. I also spread my submissions. While I do take suggestions from others on what would make good local candidates I stand my ground and let them know nicely when it is not in the criteria niantic is asking for. Overall my community has not complained with the added portals in any of the games. I don't get why some are so demanding of getting new stops and gyms. I mean yeah I have had a few ask for things like their job or their house but I tell them no.

• The screen shot of the first picture. Did you ever read the line that it says it's on his mother's phone.... Or did it slip your mind?

chris is gabriel0322. Gabriel is gabriel03221. Both play wizards and pokemon go together. Chris bought me a new phone, I dropped mine that day. I play the timerclock (his mom, yes you meet me at veterans when you showed him how to play, he never wants to listen to me....)

Chris's vehicle you mix him up with.

3 different phones and phone numbers with tmobile using the same model samsung s10e phones, need our bill? At the park playing different games between the 3 of us. Hard to believe a family plays video games together? A lot of the world does. Chris had to cut back on the games because he needs to work his cardio and goes to the gym with gabriel to work on it everyday, but he is playing wizards a little. I message you through him, because I'm not on facebook, and I do try to coordinate. When's the last time you saw chris in person? He hasn't even been out for pokemon? His last time playing was the suicune event doing his speed raiding that everyone all called wafu. He took getting healthier a little serious, which I'm proud of him for.

Think about it jason. You know he is legit. He told you that day at veterans, I'm a handful and bit crazy in the front passenger seat. I was playing pokemon with his son gabriel, while he was trying to figure out ingress with you, Because he wanted to do it as fast as possible. You showed him how to play.

Ring a bell?

• If people admit that the process has slowed down than they should want more help doing it. If people are tweaking submissions to avoid a cooldown, than you guys are already fudging the system. People are complaining about pokemon go submissions yet Niantic hasn't even given them OPR access, how is that fair? Ingress players didn't learn what was a high quality portal until OPR came out. Ingress players still submit badly. Ingress players still review badly. The end of the day everyone is worried about a database that isn't even theirs. One thing that is clear out of all of this Niantic has confirmed by increasing spawns at parks and reducing spawns at prp, that they want players at neighborhood parks. Well to get people at neighborhood parks you need to allow more common things to be approved. A limit can be established to prevent 30 grilles, but grilles are still community gathering places, and if your going to load parks with people they need to be able to be entertained by the game. A couple portals at a neighborhood park isn't entertaining enough for most player bases, especially wizards because it prevents a fortress for some of those neighborhood parks. Kind of have to think what's best for niantic. Loosing player base because people don't think some common things are valuable at parks is idiotic. In the end of the day it's a money thing. They make money using parks for events, some parks are used daily by player base, than all parks should have more relaxed criteria on what is allowed.

• "You need to understand that OPR is intended to create POINT OF INTEREST database. Department store, banks, schools, etcs are NOT point of interest.

And that is why ingress players are the best reviewers out of the three games. Ingress storyline set us up to look for actually interesting areas, to explore, to find a hidden gem. I am playing Pokemon go, and I do not feel any incentives to go to somewhere far away. I just go to where a pokestop is, to where a gym is, because that's where I can play. And that is why Pokemon go players are not good candidate for reviewers, because they WILL skew the reviews, accept MOST candidates because that way they can play EVERYWHERE (as there will be pokestops everywhere) instead of only in certain areas just like currently they have to. The results of Pokemon go players' reviews would NOT be points of interest, but POINTS OF WHERE I CAN PLAY."

@TropicalJet I absolutely agree the "explore" goal Niantic has stated, is really only present in Ingress - the later games seem to move away from this goal. Thinking only of Ingress, this idea of a very high bar for POI would work. I also belive you have the right idea of "points of where I can play" being the main interest.

I just cannot believe Niantic wants to keep the bar that high. All their games after Ingress rely heavily on "Points of interest" and that is the model that (presumably) is being pitched to license the game engine to other companies. The value of Niantic Real World Platform lie in a world wide system of many, many "high quality pokestop" (as stated in their guides), not in "exclusive prestine "exploring" portals".

This does not mean Niantic will allow anything. In fact, they are so happy with the work of volunteer reviewers in some countries, they just doubled their workload. I think they know this is a temporary workaround, even an experiment.

I have a question for you. Do you know what a cooldown means in OPR?

• Yea. But as it stands, there is no clear way of confirming what is good and what isn't for submission approvals. It's all a guess on each person. People create bias. You tweaking to prevent cooldowns and others voting and getting cooldowns after 1 review, is how the system is designed. They may not hit you with cooldowns like they hit others. Problem is, when people have different capacity at how many submissions they are allowed to review each day, each tries making their amount as worth as much as they can. You reviewing lower than others does affect submissions. Others reviewing accepted submissions as well it's a playground yes a 5 star as its allowed is also allowed. Until a more clear guide and help explaining what is needed in reviews and what we are supposed to put as a review for things should be done.

Sorry, I was proving my point yesterday, that OPR needs a lot of work and it can use help. Having a test for pokemon doesn't seem illogical because you guys are only in OPR because you took a test. Having a limit on reviews moving forward, having it to where people can login on the same opr account for multiple game accounts for different games, all makes sense. Niantic having submissions in pokemon and not opr in pokemon could be why so many bad submissions occur. Niantic also made it clear that parks are where they want people, because they even readjusted spawns to have more at parks and less at prp, doing that it will push more people to parks. More people at parks you need to keep them entertained. Couple portals isn't going to entertain....

This discussion has been closed.