Keep Scanner REDACTED

You guys "want Ingress to be fun and safe for the players." Ingress Prime is NO FUN, and trying to play it is somewhat less safe. Please reconsider ending support for Scanner REDACTED. I've tried it twice, I hate it. Last time I tried it SR was down, and I only went to Prime in hopes of keeping a daily hack and recharging a few portals. I think that this time around you'll lose most of us old dinosaur players. I think you don't want us... that you actually make money with Wizards Unite, maybe you make money with Pokemon Go, that those games have a younger player base, and the data you glean from us scurrying around the surface of the Earth is more valuable on these younger players. What reason does Niantic have for NOT continuing support?

Please reconsider

Comments

• A few responsive thoughts.

You say Microsoft bought RoboVM and killed it. Who sold it?? If Niantic did, they lost control with the transaction. Maybe Niantic could get whoever designed the Prime scanner to design a second scanner that works and looks like the original scanner did.

As for letting go of the old Scanner and being left with Prime... no thanks. I wasn't suggesting that Niantic go back to the original scanner and pull the plug on anyone who likes Prime, so I'd like for the Prime lover to refrain from dissing the old players who like the original scanner.

Maybe it's all about money. Microsoft is in business to make money. Maybe Niantic could offer a few more bucks to get relicensed for RoboVM.

I like the suggestion of making Prime better, although I'll not use it to find out. Prime can't get any worse, any change would be improvement.

• SoylentGrienSoylentGrien ✭✭✭✭✭

Xamarin developed RoboVM and was bought by Microsoft. Dropping support wasn't about money, it was about discontinuing outdated tech.

Niantic has said they WILL NOT develop a second app. Do you know how much it costs to develop a cross platform app?

This has been explained before.

• Qu4rdQu4rd ✭✭✭

It can't stay here forever, bro. As it started from beta, it changed to 1.0, and now it's 2.0.

RoboVM is passed their expiry date.

I am honestly quite tired listening to it. Those who like me that prefers redacted knows and realised it's time to either put our scanner to rest, or adapt to Prime. I chose the former, but I won't advocate people to feel the same.

• MaliciousWolfMaliciousWolf ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019

It is gone, period. Be prepared to adapt to the change and Prime, or simply give up. Your choice.

• starwortstarwort ✭✭✭✭✭

Just out of curiosity, have we got a citation for Apple's pronouncements regarding RoboVM apps? My impression up till now is that the Sept 30th date was chosen by Niantic, albeit given pressure from the Apple/Android app stores to retire RoboVM as soon as reasonably possible.

• RostwoldRostwold ✭✭✭✭✭

Any sort of deal about dates will have happened under a non-disclosure agreement, so we'll probably never know if the date came from Apple, Google or Niantic's own desire to make back-end changes that Prime can support but Redacted can't.

The closest you'll find to a citation is probably section 3.3.2 of the iPhone SDK agreement - but don't expect to be able to understand what that says and why it prohibits ROboVM without getting about half way to a degree level qualification in mobile app development, possibly with a side order of contract law.

No it was not chosen by Niantic. RoboVM apps were supposed to be gone a year ago and it was a miracle Redacted was approved at all last year.

There is no secret deal. It's a matter of public record, as are the issues with RoboVM and iOS 12. It has been discussed at length on Reddit and (although now gone) Google+.

It is pointless going over all this again.

• RostwoldRostwold ✭✭✭✭✭

You don't know if there's a secret deal or not, that's how secrets work.

• HydracyanHydracyan ✭✭✭✭✭

Redacted was keeps that long only because prime was still missing key features. Now it's practically complete. The only thing I'm missing is navigation tool, but is probably almost there since we got nearby portals and during missions it work exactly like that.

• ArtilectZedArtilectZed ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't agree with the flagging you're receiving, but really, this has been covered so many times, in so many places over the past year or so.

After forcing myself to switch to Prime a few months ago, I really hated going back to Redacted. Enough so that I didn't hesitate when to switch to Android 10 on my phone when it was available.

You don't have to hate things just because they're new. That's the only "old dinosaur" bit of behavior you're displaying.

• starwortstarwort ✭✭✭✭✭

No it was not chosen by Niantic. RoboVM apps were supposed to be gone a year ago and it was a miracle Redacted was approved at all last year.

So what you're saying is that if Apple had had their way, the retirement date would have been 2018 rather than 2019. That says to me that Niantic chose the date...

There is no secret deal. It's a matter of public record

So let's have a citation then. I don't have time to go away and read the whole of Reddit.

• LemoMcLemonFaceLemoMcLemonFace ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2019

https://gitter.im/MobiVM/robovm

FYI, you can *still* publish apps using robovm.

Support for it officially is end of life, but support still exists, it's still possible to use.

The decision to cease using robovm was Niantic's. Their reasons are there own.

I understand the reason for moving away from robovm, the reasons given by niantic are being restated, each time, with each person's opinion and interpretation.

Redacted 'can' still be maintained, developed etc, niantic have chosen 'not' to go that route.

They have designed a completely different interface for use with prime, that's what people who use redacted, and wish it would remain, most dislike.

I'm one of those people. I do not like prime.

Post edited by LemoMcLemonFace on
  • TheFarixTheFarix ✭✭✭✭✭

Today, I tried to use up the remainder of my submission slots in Redacted. After that, I will uninstall it in favor of Prime. And good riddence with Redacted crashing every time Android Auto connects or disconnects from my car.

• NineBerryNineBerry ✭✭✭✭✭

Some people have a strange idea what "a completely different interface" is.

• Layout is massively different.

Graphics are massively different

What exactly do the two current scanners have in common?

• 8 days and counting down!

They are interfaces to the same game, but it's like comparing Windows 10 with Windows XP.

• Prime is not a good platform, if ingress had a wanted a platform like we wanted they should have made one exactly like scanner redacted not this stupid prime, I've tried Prime I've tried to get it to work I've been trying for three days just to get to look at my agent's stats it just sits there and Spins, I sat at at portal for 15 minutes, and never even saw a portal if Prime doesn't work and it locks up all the time it's not worth it, all we want is a scanner like the old one easy to use Simple to use and one that works is that too hard to understand

• For clarity, RoboVM was developed by a couple of Swedish guys in a startup called RoboVM. Xamarin, a company that had its own framework for .NET applications bought RoboVM to add to its stable for Java developed apps.

Microsoft then bought Xamarin. They discontinued the RoboVM platform but kept the Xamarin platform making it open source.