Why do you submit portals?

I started playing Ingress to create more Pokéstops in Pokémon GO as many others have done before. My area wasn't barren in terms of Pokéstops due to being in a relatively big city and having a big park near my house, but I always saw the potential in my city to grow.

We had one person in the area that submitted Portals, but it was very slow, so I decided to take the plunge and start playing Ingress. After getting to lvl 10 and being able to submit portals, I ventured off and started submitting portals straight away. With the help of my friend that taught everything I needed to know, I had a relatively high acceptance rate with my first batch of portals. This started to diminish when the "easy" portals got accepted and I started to need to submit more dicey portals.

Despite this, what kept me going though all this was the satisfaction of people in my local community being happy and amazed by the portals I managed to put into the games. Just having somebody go up to you and say that you really helped them by putting a pokéstop near them or hearing random people comment on all the new Pokéstops is a feeling that gives me motivation to keep going.

What made you start submitting portals and what keeps you going?

tl;dr To help the people in my local community

Comments

• I used to play "real world" games all over town and when new portals appeared, it was kinda magical. Now, I am the wizard and i love helping the muggles.

• I submit portals because I want to contribute. Feels right .... but I'm going to feel like an idiot if I end up having to pay for the privilege to play ingress.

Initially I got many too many rejections, duplicates and too close to another portals compared to actual new portals results. So this put me off quite a bit. My kid (3yo) had chemo 9 months ago so we are just starting to get back enough immunity to hit the parks around us. And we are loving it - the portal discovery is just an excuse to try a new park.

Systematic review of all parks in every suburb around where I live. Current working list of 200 POIs more added as I expand to suburbs further away.

Smashing them out now got 33 new portals on line just in the last 17 days. Stats: 33 new portals / 2 too close / 2 rejects. I'm good at this.

• While I'm not a hugely active submitter, it's fun to try possibly be the first person to submit something that isn't yet a portal. I try to keep my personal par high though.

Also, as a keen photography enthusiastic, I enjoy trying to provide portal pictures that have noticeably above average quality,

• TheFarixTheFarix ✭✭✭✭✭

To improve my area for any of Niantic's games. Since reaching L10 last November, I've improved my county from a dozen far flung "seed" portals to over 130 portals with another 48 nominations still in the queue. Unfortuantly, because of the slow turnaround to getting a portal approved, my number isn't higher.

• I joined ingress because I played Pokemon go, and I learned that the place I'm going to work in for the next year only have two pokestops.

Nowadays I keep playing ingress because it makes me feel like I'm a garden caretaker and I'm feeding my Pokemon go community with delicious apples born from my hard work. It feels like I'm working inside the ground watering and fertilizing the roots, while they get to enjoy the fruits.

Also, I find it pretty funny that the BAFs are supposed to control the mind of people living underneath them. Portal itself basically is a control point: when I created a portal in ingress, I am indirectly causing a bunch of people to flock around that portal to play Pokemon go.

• AkceptorUAAkceptorUA ✭✭✭✭

First it was about contribution to the game which I liked.

Nowadays its actually the only interesting part of Ingress for me 🤣

• I used to do a lot of exploring so it came with the territory. Have slowed down a bit but still submit the occasional interesting portal candidate. And I'm more discerning now. Not any old random thing will do.

• GearGliderGearGlider ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2019

I do it so when someone asks me to submit them a couch portal, I can tell them "No"

• Making portals is one of my favourite parts of the game! I like hiking and exploring new places, so it's awesome to find something really cool, especially when it's off the beaten path and put that on the map. Sharing the awesomeness <3

• I do it to help out rural players the most. I’ve turned my friend’s town that had 1 pokestop into a town with 6 gyms and around 14 pokestops. He no longer has to travel 30 minutes to the next playable town and has started his own local group of raiders. That feeling is what keeps me doing it.

• liyu1liyu1 ✭✭✭

To submit portals so all 3 niantic games can benefit from it. And it's nice to see your own created POI ingame that u or someone else uses :P

• it feels good.

• GoblinGranateGoblinGranate ✭✭✭✭✭

Creating game and expanding room for game is also a good thing to do.

I myself enjoy game creating and watching others enjoy my creation. #HaveFunTogether