GPS coordinates in paste buffer

The new "Copy address to paste buffer" feature fails because it does not give an accurate location. The interpreted street address that Ingress uses is often vastly different to where the portal is, especially in rural areas or areas away from main roads.

Can you please provide the GPS coordinates in the copy to paste buffer, since Google Maps is quite capable of working out how to get to a location, and it's more accurate, especially if you turn on things like "walking directions".

The address isn't much use, if it directs you to the road you're standing at 5 miles in from the hike to the portal.

Tagged:

Comments

• Agreed, this feature would be killer if it yielded lat/long coordinates instead of an attempt at a street address!

• MorganzaMorganza ✭✭✭✭✭

In my first few days of playing Ingress I spent about 20 minutes trying to get to the portal at 862 Russet Drive. Eventually I gave up. A few days later I got to the portal by going down 2 houses to the park entrance and walking up the nice paved path in the park.

I once used a combination of the scanner, IngressMosaik, IITC, and Maps to get to a portal whose location was given as "ABC Road". That wasn't so helpful because ABC Road is 5 km long. (IIRC this was Albuquerque. Details can be found if necessary.)

The original request was for lat/long for good reasons.

• MorganzaMorganza ✭✭✭✭✭

There is a lovely sculpture garden in Woodside California where the portals have completely different street addresses listed, none of which have anything to do with the entrance to the property. It's not helpful to see that a portal 600 meters away from me had a street address 2 miles as the crow flies and 12 miles by car away.

• Feature parity would require actual replication of the navigate to function.

Which aside from just providing a navigation aid, also enables you to view, and 'travel' from portal to portal to view an entire area, checking for missing xm etc...

This is not parity, its a different function entirely.

• We've been asking for an external navigation capability for years pre-Prime. The internal navigation is still coming.

I'm happy with this fr external if they give us GPS.

• MorganzaMorganza ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2019

I was using Google Maps to navigate to media portals during the Field Test today. It was painful. There is no place to put the Maps overlay on the screen where it doesn't interfere with some part of basic Ingress functionality.

It's not bad to use while driving, mind you, but pretty awkward when walking towards another portal playing as you go.

(The big benefit, of course, is that you don't lose navigation when Ingress crashes. Not sure I'd talk that up as a selling point, though )

By the way, one of our media portals was:

Leavey Center, Santa Clara University.

Its address in the scanner is

Highway 82, Santa Clara CA

And yes, Highway 82 , the main thoroughfare through the city, *is* the closest road to it. That's not particularly useful for navigation to a portal on a walking path in the middle of a University campus, though.

(No, I was not navigating to the street addresses of portals. The map Niantic provided of Field Test media portals had Intel links to the portals which have lat/long right there in the URL...)

• I wish Niantic would just work with the people who made that Intel map assistance plugin similar to how they worked with the people from agent-stats

• NineBerryNineBerry ✭✭✭✭✭

A tip: you can use split screen mode on Android with Prime to play while navigating of you don't like the maps overlay

• TheFarixTheFarix ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2019

I believe it was done this way because some GPS software/apps do not accept coordinates. I know I had this problem with whatever GPS app my mom was using in her car. It was such a bad experience that it made me appreciate that my car uses Android Auto instead.

And yes, I would prefer to have the option to copy the coordinates over the address because my Android Auto compatible GPS app will accept them.

• Where's this feature? Can't find it in Prime 2.31.2.

• Every decent GPS app accepts coordinates. If it doesn't, you happen to have a phone and you can look up the street address yourself. This is no excuse for inaccurate, and wildly incorrect street addresses, to fail to help the 1%.

• Tap the little arrow next to the distance to portal on the Portal Details screen.