What's your favorite playstyle or subgame in Ingress?

CliffMCliffM ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you like destroying portals, links, and fields? Microfielding? Chasing badges? Working on larger fields? Collecting swag? Meet ups? Attending official Ingress events?

Comments

• VasatiVasati ✭✭✭

Because I have limited time to get out there and play, I'm mostly working on my badges for now. I'm hoping now that I have much more stable income, I can attend events outside of my home state. I'd love to go to more official events, especially mission days and official IFSs, so I can get my badges for those too.

• I'm a micro fielding nut!

• MadReliqueMadRelique ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019

Power leveling. There is nothing like reaching L16 then beating the time it took you to reach X level. Back in 2012-13 it took me 2 months to reach L8 and I reached L16 on about 12.28.2014 (thanks to the trekker badge).

When I recursed it took me 24 hours to become L8, and by my estimate I should be L16 before September. I would love to see how fast I can get to L16 if I recurse once more.

• #links, and fields

#Involving in OPS

#Attending official Ingress events

• I draw boxes. i.e. I link but do not field.

• I actually didn't have a playstyle for the first few years, I played simply to not be away from where I lived, which was very violent. Now I live rurally, and in an area dominated by my own team, I've found a playstyle. Most BAFs here stop me being able to field a lot, and since I don't drive this has resulted in me only really destroying enemy portals when not hacking. Eventually this resulted in my stats showing I'd taken down more portals than I'd captured, so I focused on this. My resonators deployed/destroyed is fairly similar, and I'd really like to get my fielding in the same ballpark (ie; taking down more fields than I create).

I never attend events, due to typically liking lore in general but finding Ingress' version poorly conceived despite huge potential. I think something like getting a badge for "meeting Hank" and then having to think about "two Johnsons" everytime I turn on my scanner explains this sentiment in full really. I also don't run missions, primarily since most of the pictures I've seen used are completely the antithesis of the game's aesthetics.

All in all I have a very slow paced low AP playstyle (L9 in 3 years with a few breaks, only just got my first Quantum Capsule) and I don't recommend it to anyone.

• Designing and making swag, going to anomalies and other events, working on my explorer badge, community stuff... I don't spend a lot of time actually playing the game these days 😂

• As an introvert agent, Ingress helps me get involved with people much. Despite that we would usually hang out and rebuild the area, honestly I do mostly enjoy hacking and UPC/UPV. For me, Ingress is a lifestyle which connects me with the others, pushes me to explore the community and guides me to know more about myself.

• I like banners too. For me it becomes more interesting to play Ingress during banner collecting than just walking between portals. So I destroy/deploy/linking as much as possible during it.

In other hand, I like almost all community activities too. Global or local events, fieldarts, BAFs, local cleanups, helping someone to gain a level or just farming — all of this activities are interesting for me.

• My gameplay mostly consists of microfielding, I really enjoy going to some dense area and linking everything in right order.

I also like participating in big secret ops or events like Mission Day. They are quite rare where I live but this is what makes them special, the feeling of coming adventure is so good!

• Glyphing

• All about the Glyphing for me. Can't get enough of it.

• Patka07Patka07 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2019

I love planning big fields to win in my cell. It's so exciting to see how all comes together and field goes online. All the thinking, farming keys, planning anchors, cooperation is just what is the most fun for me! And happy faces of agents with onyx illuminator is the best award!

• AkceptorUAAkceptorUA ✭✭✭✭

Portal submission is the most interesting part.

Its sad the number of submits is very limited and no way to increase (I'd even pay for this)

• Guardian hunting was the best part of the game. Now that’s gone I just try and make AP any way I can. I’m

• I'd honestly like to say destroying enemy portals and leaving a capsule of L8 stuff right beside it IS my game.

• ic3maxic3max ✭✭
    edited June 2019

Uniques are the most fun part for me however, my motivation for these is always peaking when I'm close to another 10k mark

Generally badges and I push like crazy if it's attainable within a month but since I have only 1 gameplay badge left that can't be sped up by increasing efficiency and I'm half a year away even if I was playing a lot I do slack week after week

• DigitalisDigitalis ✭✭✭

shards, especially global, anomalies

anymore am mostly retired unless shards or anomalies happen. day to day not so much anymore - but currently in a five portal town so that is a factor.

have a silver seer badge, and tho it doesnt increment anymore for badge level i still submit.

• vidiconvidicon ✭✭✭✭✭

@Digitalis aw man I have such mixed feelings about global shards. There are two missions I proudly did - "I really really really like shards" and "I really really really hate shards."

Without having a target for Shonin shards so close to home, I never would have met so many of the people I now call friends, I wouldn't have learned nearly as much about strategy (at least not for a long time), and I wouldn't have some of my greatest Ingress stories. Seeing people spring into action to help chase down a shard is nothing short of amazing. But shards also have a way of stressing people out and causing burnout and rupturing communities.

I prefer the newer global challenges like they did for Recursion Prime (MU control) and Darsana Prime (capturing). They may not yield the same intense stories, but they generate a sense of global comity without the stress of shards, and everyone can be involved even if they are hundreds of miles from the nearest shard or target.

• Finding obscure and out of the way places.

I'd be doing that with or without Ingress. But ingress makes it more fun.

• SonicgottSonicgott ✭✭✭✭

Exploration, microfielding, AP grinds, and badge hunting. I'm a bit of a pacifist, I don't usually like taking down ENL fields if I don't have to.

• GargishGargish ✭✭✭

My favorite activity is visiting Mission Days and anomalies, combining playing Ingress, meeting people and city tourism.

• Pi2RPi2R ✭✭

I enjoy planning or collaborating on local MU operations with friends from other neighborhoods, fighting for my cell, and helping out my faction teammates. 

Also, I love to keep my area green with well-structured medium sized multi-layered fields that might take a good jog or bicycle ride to complete, trying to optimize my field for a given area. Similarly, micro-maxfielding with the largest amount of portals I can manage in a single triangle- even when a triangle is not optimal, I like the additional constraint and visual result of making it a triangle!

Getting a beer with my rivals after a nice battle. 

Attending Ingress First Saturdays!