Does the Redacted Badge short-change existing high scoring players?

So, once we get to 40,000,000 AP we can press the Redacted Button, get that nice badge with the number "1" in it to show the world what we have done, then rinse and repeat.

However, no matter how many AP we have, the first time we press the button we get the "Redacted 1" badge. If we have over 40,000,000 AP then that additional AP is essentially "thrown away", we get no credit for it and we have to start again.

I know of players with over 200, 000, 000 AP who have Redacted. If we had had this badge from the beginning they would have a "Redacted 5" badge! Other players, like me, who took a good few years to get to L16 and are now a few million past it, are not keen to waste all that hard work beyond the AP for L16.

How about, for the first time a player presses the "Redacted" option, Niantic looks at the lifetime AP already and generates a badge count value and new player level based on this.?

Mr 200,000,00 AP would get his "Redacted 5" badge. Someone like me with 50,000, 000 would get the "Redacted 1" badge but be credited with the difference in AP between my current score (50 mil) and the L16 threshold (40 mil) and be set to L11 in this second iteration .

This way all the AP we have earned playing the game would be credited and would be apparent in our Stats.

All those in favour? Please Niantic?

Comments

• It is also get far easier to get back to level 8 the second time.

You already know how to play well, and there likely many more portals than there were the first time through.

I'm not an overly active player...it took me a year to get level 8 the first time, and 4 years to 16.

I took me a month to get back to level 8 after recursing.

• ZennZenn ✭✭✭✭

There is still the lifetime AP stat. I always felt recursion gave a chance to level the field if they ever tie leveling mechanics to it.

Founder here, Longtime players already have a great advantage with anniversary medals. They don't need to have their recursion counter spin for past deeds... They need to get out and level now! Just the same as the rest of us.

• I'm in favour.

But I'd be even more in favour of non-recursers like me getting something for not recursing. I'm getting rather sick of recursers asking for even more bonusses on top of what they already get for recursing, If they get extra bells and whistles for their decision to recurse, why I can't get something for my decision not to recurse?

• DigitalisDigitalis ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019

nope. i like it the way it is. if people got recursed:5 the first time they did it then i would have never done it. would have saved up for 8.

• Tiers on Simulacrum badge would be a good Idea to agents that hide stats profile like me, and would be one more reason to keep recurse.

• I will recurse when there is something good or a benefit or doing it.

Like quantum reproduction of Very Rare Items will be a very good idea to implement.

• I would consider the decision not to allow quantum reproduction of VRs something that wasn't meant to be revoced that fast, i would anger some players, not because of the feature, but of the way it would seem to them, like:

Hey, you are able to recurse now!

Oh, for some reason there is no more VR out of Q-caps.

Now, what about recursing and getting some VR Items back, we took away from you?

Besides there are already a good deal of VRs you get for all the Level-Ups

• caderouxcaderoux ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019

A few points:

Regarding the lack of credit given for past AP which could have been put towards recursions. It's only the first 1.2M where you have to play below your level, which is 3% of the AP of a 40m cycle. So while yes, the gameplay is a bit different in those few hours, it's not a significant amount of the time that a player would have spent on their way to 200-300-400m lifetime AP.

There really is no distinguishing between a person who got to 40m, recursed and got to 240m without recursing again and someone who got to 200m, recursed and got to 240m.

Regarding the multiple-onyx, recursion timing doesn't matter, you can get multiple onyx at any time before or after or in between recursions, and it has no effect, the multiplicity is solely based on lifetime, not since first recursion or last recursion or anything.

Current benefits to Recursing:

Medal

Current Drawbacks to Recursing:

You are unable to participate in the Ingress at the highest functional level for a short amount of time until you attain L8 again

XM bar for agents < 16 is much smaller (this same mechanic also affects Lawson cubes significatly)

Recharge range in redacted is defective for recursed agents < 16 compared to Prime

Other important questions:

How long should you remain at L16/how should you time it instead of immediately recursing again? Certain events are affected by recursions, including problems getting credit for AP and medals during events like First Saturday

When will Niantic announce actual benefits to recursing as they stated when they announced the feature prior to the Recursion Prime anomaly series?

• Patka07Patka07 ✭✭✭✭

I recursed, I don't regret. But I don't need special treatment because of it, special items, more space or even CMU. I'm happy with all I received - cool medal and possibility to multiply my onyx badges (with bird). Maybe we will receive something in the future, maybe not. I am proud of myself that I didn't drop the game after 16lvl and now I fight for 40mln once again:)

• AnimaIControIAnimaIControI ✭✭✭✭

We don’t lose our ap when recursing. The game is no longer meant to be played in Redacted. Open Prime and all your hard work is still there [lifetime AP]. Furthermore, giving recursion credit to those that don’t recurse would null and void recursing. Recursing is about leveling back up. It’s a challenge. Some of us want a challenge in the game.

• @exculcator

But I'd be even more in favour of non-recursers like me getting something for not recursing. I'm getting rather sick of recursers asking for even more bonusses on top of what they already get for recursing, If they get extra bells and whistles for their decision to recurse, why I can't get something for my decision not to recurse?

Yeah, some of us do not believe that we're a simulacrum and would rather not let go of our actual body.

• SonicgottSonicgott ✭✭✭✭

I fail to see the benefit of recursing more than once.

• The vague promise of possible undetermined extra benefits isn't enough for you?!

• ArtilectZedArtilectZed ✭✭✭✭✭

@SonicgottMore level up kits.

• @caderoux Stop projecting your play-style onto everybody else: you clearly don't recharge much, or even at all, if you can come up with a comment like recursing is only going to effect you for a few hours. Pretty well much the sole reason I will not recurse is the absolutely massive hit to recharging ability it entails. XM pick up ability, AFAIK, is the only thing in Ingress that scales positively exponentially with level, rather than negatively, such that you gain MORE moving from level 9 to 16 than you do from 1 to 8 - considerably more. Since recharging is THE major limitation on my game style (other than number of keys I can store, which is a hard cap, and doesn't vary with level at all) there is no way I am going to cripple myself by recursing. Yes, it "only" took 10 month to get from level 1 to 16, and it would presumably take even less to do it a second time - IF I wanted to completely change my playstyle back to what it was before I hit level 16. Which I absolutely do not. I ground my way quickly to level 16 precisely so I wouldn't have worry about AP ever again once I got there, and could concentrate on what *I* consider to be the real game: which is MU. Which for me entails keeping as many remote portals charged up as possible so that they might one day be used as an anchor. I struggle mightily as it is to bag enough XM to do so even with a 22k XM bar, and recursing would essentially put me out action for something like 8 months. That isn't a "few hours".

• I waited until I hit 100,000,000 AP before I recursed just for fun so my lifetime AP is 100M + my current AP so I don't feel like I "threw away" AP at all.

I've enjoyed the recursion process and it was interesting going back to low levels for a short bit.

• SonicgottSonicgott ✭✭✭✭

Level up kits are nice, but for me, they're not necessary. I do enough hacking that I'm given gear on a regular basis.

• GlenuendoGlenuendo ✭✭✭✭

I'd say the biggest benefit of the level up kits is the VRHS mods. I just don't see to get them, ever. For me, that would make it worth it.

• hmm. My comment just keeps posting blank. I am not trying to spam

• I am in favor of including past AP in recursions.

I would also like to suggest that with each recursion inventory cap is increased. I would suggest 500 item increase per recursion but that may be too much, of course I would be at an advantage since I am at 255,000,000 Lifetime AP. Perhaps 100 items per recursion?

Another suggestion for recursion reward. How about a "super burster". A 1 time shot with a radius of 100 meters. Non-transferable to other players. I suggest this because it would be a great tool to getting back into leveling up again.

• I am in favor of including past AP in recursions.