Charging for something that used to be free?

Great move! Now I wonder how much official registration will drop. I might have considered still participating "unofficially" if my score would have counted but since none of my actions will be counted... IDK.. its like it doesn't even matter to me anymore.

Tagged:

Comments

• GearGliderGearGlider ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2019

You're paying for 2xAP and a Medal. It Pay2Win and selling Medals online rolled into one.

At least theoretically agents could meet up at anomaly portals, but that's why we have First Saturdays.

• @GearGlider you forgot the part where the own scores are credited to the total score.

• Why would it ever be refundable? I thought Niantic had a no refunds policy. I think this would go over better if maybe there was some kickback to local community volunteers or if they stated that they were going to take over planning the event.

• Well, there didn't use to be anything in an anomaly registration they could refund 😁

• InvestigateXMInvestigateXM ✭✭✭✭✭

Ohh, I'll take one of both. Do you have a lighter for the torch by chance?

• ArtilectZedArtilectZed ✭✭✭✭✭

"Why won't a for profit company continue to do things for free?!"

• XK150XK150 ✭✭✭✭✭

Spoken like someone who's never managed volunteers.

Given the actions they've taken in the past (drastically changing how they wanted to sell gear in the store after we skewered them for it last year, comes to mind), I would say they do listen. But they're a for profit business and need to be able to pay the costs for the developers coding the game, the bills to keep the servers running, the people making the videos, etc etc.

There's been zero consensus from the player base about how they could monetize the game, and even if there was, they would still be under zero obligation to listen.

We're the volunteer labor, but so far, Niantic's been the volunteer producers for us. I think they only thing we could all agree on is that they should just eat the cost of running Ingress as a platform test bed for other games (PoGo, WU).

• grendelwulfgrendelwulf ✭✭✭✭✭

Lol at Niantic expecting their player base to react like well adjusted adults and not entitled gamer babies.

• MirthmakerMirthmaker ✭✭✭✭

1. Why doesn't anyone understand this is effectively a LARP at a far larger scale than most people have been exposed to? Yes we have to pay bills, but doing things this way makes me think twice about time investment.

2. If I could count on an environment where normal shutdowns for updates instead of every thirty to forty-five minutes a freeze, boot, or force out happens we would pay. ROI in this environment is lower than it should be. If this keeps up I will go back to LARPING full time and say goodbye to brilliant merger of larping and geocaching.

Did you consider that the ~$15 is what's it's going to take to cover the costs of the anomaly taxing the servers, increased bandwidth costs, staffing time? They've been eating these costs for years already. I seriously doubt $15/person would begin to truly cover what Niantic's dumping into these events.

They're going to have to start charging for something in Ingress, somewhere, or turn the game off. What little bit of ground is the community going to be willing to cede to keep the game going?

• LangeTheFlipperLangeTheFlipper ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019

Omg yes, just add the option to the store, it's not hard, it's free money for them. I would happily pay $7-$10 a month just to help support the game I love. Even if only 15% or so of the player base chooses to subscribe, that's still more money in their pocket that they aren't currently receiving and they don't have to make bad business decisions to make a profit.

• The only response to this can be summed up right here:

Wank Johnson.

Can they ban for Parody. I guess we'll find out... hell its only been 6 and a half years.

I 100% understand that, but that in particular has nothing to do with the point I'm making.