Ingress audio: Listen or Mute?

SonicgottSonicgott ✭✭✭✭

For years I've played with Ingress completely muted, no sound effects or anything. It's all visual cues for me. Now, from my understanding, there are plenty of players who keep sound effects on just to be able to hear what they're doing when they're not looking at their phone (keeping an eye out for enemy players, teammates, safety when in busy areas, et cetera).

Do you enjoy Ingress background sounds or sound effects? Do you use a headset like what's recommended?

Since I recently did pick up a pair of AirPods, I may want to dive into Ingress audio and see if gameplay changes at all aesthetically.

Let me know your thoughts.

Comments

• On Redacted I always had speech and effects on with whatever music I was listening to. It helped time attacks and sounded rather cool. Prime's a little different insofar as it just doesn't sound as nice and the attack charging sound isn't as easy to time attacks with as the Redacted one, but I suspect this'll be tweaked in time. Also, I quite like having XM collection updates when driving if for no other reason than it confirms that I've left Ingress open to grab the free XM whilst on the way to the shops ...

• grendelwulfgrendelwulf ✭✭✭✭✭

Mute. Everything on my phone is off.

• Mostly mute, but sometimes I will listen to it via headsets.

• NineBerryNineBerry ✭✭✭✭✭

Listen to it with headphones.

• DSktrDSktr ✭✭✭✭

Years ago i was enjoying audio(it added some mystery to Ingress,more atmosperic gameplay)..now Redacted is muted 'cos it's a fast-action tool for me.Prime...its audio is not so good as for me,not so addictive i dont know how to explain...

• Muted. Every single game, app and everything is set to silent on my phone. Even the ringtone.

• Mute is the default.

Occasionally I turn on sound when playing by myself. (headphone)

• I do much better with the audio cues, but sadly mute is my default because I need to be aware of my surroundings for safety reasons.

Although it’s very pleasing diving into the Ingress’s soundscape, so I sometimes choose to play very late at night, at safe places with my good headphones. It put me into a trance-like state for few times. (No drugs allowed in my country, btw.

• Qu4rdQu4rd ✭✭✭

I love the sounds! ^_^ I did try playing it on mute for quite some time and I quickly got bored. For not disturbing others non-ingress people, I play it on minimum sound for that exact reason you mentioned (to hear what I'm doing while I'm not looking at the phone). This whunngg sounds used to give me cold sweats! LOL.

I bought BT headphones for it if I need the sound to be max. But of course that means I would have been completely stationary.

• Sagitario14Sagitario14 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019

I love hear it (Redacted), but the sound effects from Prime is bad like a sizzle.

Differences between neutral, Res and Enl was cool.

I didn't know that there was a different sound effect of ADA speaking when leveling up, it's better than the second one sound effect.

I found out through the Ingresssounds app, so good.

• I listen when using earphones. Otherwise, it is mute.

• Btw, when you tap a blue P8, ADA starts talking. When you tap a green P8, Jarvis starts talking. It happens only on Prime (English version). It’s kind of annoying when I glyph hack...

• Sound on always both with Redacted and now Prime. The soundscape of both scanners really does a good job providing audio cues when actions are complete which helps me keep my head out of the scanner and more focused on the world around me, Just wishing it was possible to turn off or turn down the background sounds in Prime without losing a lot of the other important audio cues which current exist on the same volume slider.

• jontebulajontebula ✭✭✭✭✭

Sound always on!

• TheismanTheisman ✭✭✭✭✭

Mute but vibration so I know when ive hit the glyph points

• Sound on.

The audio cues are what I like to go by. Also very handy in Prime when you're walking around and hear resonators being attacked. It's a great indicator to look around inside the app to see where it's coming from and decide whether to recharge or not. Sometimes I'll be recharging one portal and hear another being attacked so I'll zoom out and tap on the other portal to recharge that one.

I definitely turn off all the sounds when I'm playing with others though. I don't like being THAT guy. Although I am when I'm alone. 😂

• Oh my gosh WHAt?? I did not know this!

Honestly I love ADA's voice. Like I'd totally be the one to be killed by a sweet speaking AI. One of the petty things I didn't like about the Dunraven Foundation was a different voice actor for ADA. Not that I have anything against the other voice actor -other than she's not ADA. I was so happy that they had her actual voice in the anime. I would have forever scorned the anime if they hadn't used her original voice actor.

Also, I use an iPhone so I have no way of ever hearing the other voice clips you speak of.. 😭

• Sagitario14Sagitario14 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019

Oh no...

But You can enjoy it anyway!

I've always found Enl's hack sound cooler than Res's, but I say the opposite when it's ambient sound, because Enl's is macabre lol and Res's is divine.

And the ambient sound of the Scanner is intriguing, reminds me of the movie War of the Worlds. 

I admit I will miss all that.

Post edited by Sagitario14 on
  • I mute every app

Game or otherwise if it doesn't have a mute option I uninstall it.

• I love the sound effects in Redacted so, so much. I've even made two mash-up tracks (for neutral grounds and ENL territory) so I could listen to them outside of the scanner!

Prime sounds start to grow on me, too, though there's a lot of inconsistencies and bugs - for now. Also, it's really sweet to hear ADA's "I was getting worried about you", glad they decided to keep it.

• I'm deaf, so mute : )

• grendelwulfgrendelwulf ✭✭✭✭✭

I connected to the Bluetooth on my bose car stereo last night for glyphing a bunch of level 8 portals in prime. That was pretty awesome, the portals talking, but I had to ignore the sound cues because they were delayed a second by my stereo.

• Qu4rdQu4rd ✭✭✭

Hear Hear...Btw, sharing this. By far the most enlightening video explaining the differences between ENL, RES, and neutral sounds in Scanner 1.0.

• It's great listening in Redacted while farming as you can rest your eyes and only pay attention from when the glyphs are imminent.

Also you get the joy of hearing such phrases as "Quantum Capsule", "Aegis shield", "ADA Refactor", etc. and have know what to do if a hack is denied due cooldown or item cap again without focussing on the screen.

Unfortunately Prime doesn't give a distinct audio signal for glyphing start time, so you have to focus on the blurry screen a lot and eye strain ensues after long farming.

• Oh as an aside, I once played with sound on and earphones in while in a quiet, dark forest at night.

The Ingress "heartbeat" sound gave me the creeps because it sounded like kangaroos bounding nearby, and I did NOT want to encounter one. 😅

• MirthmakerMirthmaker ✭✭✭✭

Mute. Noise remind me of a LARP character I played with that was broken, mentally not min maxing.

Besides love being five paces or less from an agent and take a board of theirs off their hands, literally under their noses.

• RostwoldRostwold ✭✭✭✭✭

Muted to save battery.

• I listen with very low audio. I mostly hear how much XM reserves I have left and all the loot I got from hacking portals.