Rotation lock, so we can have the hack gestures

So I've been hacking along for the global hack challenge. It becomes painfully clear, we need one feature from Redacted to make it's way into Prime: Hack gestures.

In the Netherlands, a new law forbids you to ride your bike with your phone in hand. The past couple of days, people have been doing missions and hacking along to make sure they reach the 750 required unique hacks for the badge. I myself use Redacted for this, for the sole reason that I can use the "tap+hold swipe gestures" to hack the required portals. Having to tap the portal and complete the gesture takes more time, and makes it so you actually have to stop to execute the command most of the time. Even more so now you can't operate a bike with your phone in hand.

One way to enable the gestures whilst still having the single finger rotation, would be to implement a rotation lock. Tapping the "command circle" and swiping down would enable/disable the lock, which would in turn enable/disable the gestures.

The lock / unlock menu

Lock state reflected in-game

Tagged:

Comments

• Henno86Henno86 ✭✭✭

💚

• I'm not for this. It's so dangerous to play and drive in the same time. And you're solution is all time go to menu for activated and deactivated the movement because the map doesn't turn very good in automatic mod.

• Jo0LzJo0Lz ✭✭✭✭✭

How is something that was in the previous version for years dangerous now? This has nothing to do with driving, hacking portals without glyphing takes more time and forces you to enter portal view, something we didn't require previously. Takes a lot of time.

• Just because it was in the old application doesn't mean it was a good idea. Before there were no seat belts in cars, no red lights... 

The call to tradition is not a good argument. 

You look at your screen to hack, so a drop in attention to the real world in any case.

Going to a portal is part of the game, I don't see what the problem is on that side.

• Jo0LzJo0Lz ✭✭✭✭✭

Not everyone that is in transit is operating a vehicle. On the bike tap+hold would be superior, with less distraction than the extra attention it takes to enter portal view and hack that way. On the road (as a passenger) it takes less time, so you can hack more with less effort.

• If you no drive the car, you can hack, it's not a problem... I make easy it in the big city when I don't drive...

• Jo0LzJo0Lz ✭✭✭✭✭

That's good for you! :) I don't like entering the portal view. With loads of portals in sequence you can easily hack them all with gestures, with entering / exiting the portal view, you can't.

The gestures will be missed by a huge part of the playerbase. We don't all play the same way. This way we don't have to forfeit the gestures in favor of rotating the screen. Everybody wins. (If you don't want to use it, don't. If you come from redacted and you expect this feature, it's there, it's a win-win.)

• NineBerryNineBerry ✭✭✭✭✭

There is no technical reason why a "lock mode" would be required to support a long-press menu on a portal.

Currently, if you put a finger on a portal and wait a bit and then move the finger, the screen rotates. If instead you lift your finger, the portal screen opens. The same way, there could be a timer which says "if the finger was not moved after x seconds, show a popup menu".

• The goal of the game is to go in the portal, who are lot interested....

• jsylvisjsylvis ✭✭✭✭

It's worth noting this is still immensely useful in anomaly gameplay where we need to get hacks in rapidly on the move.

• If you're interested in opening the portal, you have a maximally convenient way to do that - tap the thing. You don't also need long presses, or (currently) rotations that happened to begin on the portal to do that as well (that last one is maddening in dense areas, but seems likely enough to get fixed eventually).

It's fairly pointless to argue that the current tap-then-gesture-hack is somehow necessary to prevent people doing dangerous things with their phones while driving. Making the gesture hack UI slightly worse doesn't stop that behavior, it just makes it slightly more dangerous.

Back on Reddit somewhere I recall NIA commenting that they wanted to implement gesture-hacks on the map but didn't think it was technically possible. I don't know how Unity models taps on surfaces, but it certainly supports the basic drag interfaces in general.

• Jo0LzJo0Lz ✭✭✭✭✭

Back on Reddit somewhere I recall NIA commenting that they wanted to implement gesture-hacks on the map but didn't think it was technically possible. I don't know how Unity models taps on surfaces, but it certainly supports the basic drag interfaces in general.

This is exactly what this whole post is about. Providing a solution for the fact that it isn't possible.

• SonicgottSonicgott ✭✭✭✭

I’ve asked for long press menus for quite a while. It saves time, especially in portal-dense areas.

It also helps with increasing the hack count. Having to dive into a menu is fine when walking, usually, but for me, even when I walk, say, doing missions, doing the long press - hack/no key helps with speed.

There are many circumstances in which I feel long press menus would be advantageous. As stated, there is no technical reason why this cannot be implemented, even with one finger rotation.

• Jo0LzJo0Lz ✭✭✭✭✭

Okay, well the latest update brought these gestures back. So I guess we can close this topic :)

• They still need to add attack to the longpress menu

• NineBerryNineBerry ✭✭✭✭✭

No, they don't need to. You can activate attack mode by touching and swiping-up on the menu button. This is actually faster than first having to long-press.