REDACTED is shutting down in a month. Any news on the portal edit overhaul?

It should also impact Pokémon GO players in countries where Pokéstop submission is available.

Comments

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

there will be 2 bigger updates before redacted close down, and its gonna be sharing feature and portal edits.

• quirischaquirischa ✭✭✭✭

As @RedSoloCup said today in IUENG discussion chat:

1) The big missing features like stat sharing and Portal edits are coming prior to Redacted as planned and promised with the feature parity goal.

IMHO it supposed to be done in ver 2.30 highly likely.

• Fügt in den Einstellungen doch einfach die Möglichkeit hinzu selbst zu wählen ob man lieber den Redacted oder Prime Skin möchte.... Ich werde mit Ingress aufhören wenn nur noch Prime zur Verfügung steht...... Echt schade, spiele Ingress von Anfang an.....

• CliffMCliffM ✭✭✭✭✭

2.30.2 is out, and it's not there. Most likey it will be in 2.31.x.

• Prime ist kein Skin. Prime ist ein komplett meues Programm mit vollständig neuer Codebasis, weil die alte nicht mehr zur Verfügung stand und Niantic nun eine hauseigene für alle aktuellen und zukünftigen Spiele zur Verfügung hat, wodurch sich der Entwicklungsaufwand für Codeverbesserungen und neue Features wesentlich verbessert. Wurde schon oft und an vielen Stellen erklärt.

Tldr: Prime is not a new Skin for Ingress, it is a complete overhaul of everything that makes Ingress, because another option is no more sustainable.

• quirischaquirischa ✭✭✭✭

Well obviously I was wrong, so let's wait until 2.31, yep

• BlaumutBlaumut ✭✭✭✭

Well here in ingress. Could you explain why? Portals should be well located. Relocate them for get gym its a system abuse.

• not if its a building, sport court, playgrounds, park, etc perhaps in plaques or statues not, but there is a lot of stuff that can be moved safely without problem and those are the ones which 99% of the time pogoers request to move

• ditahditah ✭✭
    edited September 2019

I think he meant that the same portal edit capabilities should be in prime and pokemon go. It doesn't matter if the POI is at the wrong place, has wrong description or else. That could be reported from pokemon go the same way prime does. Like the submission in prime already shares code with pokemon go.

And yes, there are already ingress agents playing both and submitting portal location edits with redacted to trick pokemon into more stops/gyms. Let OPR deal with this, No need to bash on pokemon.

• Moving a portal destroys all existing links to/from that portal. So PoGo players shifting things around to try to make gyms does cause issues in Ingress. Granted, something like a park or sports court is not usually strategic, but the portal edit feature has been used as a way to destroy links on remote, difficult to reach, strategic portals.

• JosmanuJosmanu ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019

are you telling me ingress players can manipulate the location(which have been doing since dinosaurs existed) but pogoers cant? i am sorry but is not a reason to not accept a portal pin edit location, if it fits it goes in, that is how it should be, not because it will create a gym or because cross another link, is about if it fits like the examples i gave, buildings, sport courts, parks, playgrounds, etc

edit: however the abuse of this should be resolved by niantic itself, they ''created'' the problem for start with, and should be with a good resolution for their 3 games

• "Soon"

• I'm not really sure what you're getting at here? I'm not sure what you mean by "fits." Are you saying that there's no problem moving portals because doing so has no negative consequences in game? I gave a specific reason why moving a portal can be problematic.

Besides, it's not a matter of anyone "not accepting" a portal edit, because in OPR reviewers have no way to know which was the original location and which was the edit. We see two pins with a "which location is correct" prompt, and if one of those is on the west side of a gazebo and the other one is 3m away on the east side of the gazebo, my first thought is often "hmm... some pogo player is trying to move that a couple meters over into another cell". Now if the portal is truly misplaced, for example the portal should be centered on the gazebo but is actually in the parking lot, then by all means submit an edit in the correct spot. But if you are moving portals from one side of a playground to another just for the sake of creating a gym in PoGo you are indeed having a negative impact on Ingress players.

• JosmanuJosmanu ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019

that is not for you to decide, if the pin is in an edge of a court and is moved to another edge of the court, still fits as correct position and there is no real reason for somebody to deny that unless it affects personally, the portal will still be there in ingress and it will create another pokestop for pokemon and might create another inn for harry potter, if you think ingress is more important and should focus only in that while reviewing and dont care about the other two games you are the one doing it wrong, and niantic is the one to blame who has to ''fix'' the problem they created with the s2 cells rules not reviewers denying stuff for their own sake, and here is why opr has so many flaws

practically in your pov if a new cool candidate gets submitted but will cross a link which will affect a field...then you are literally giving away the fact you are going to deny it just because that, which has happened a lot in the past and with many examples, such you dont like the agent and know he plays there, it was a pogo submission not ingress one, your faction dont rule that zone, etc but since ingress alone dont give a huge ammount of candidates it wasnt so obvious so it was until pogo went live either via pogo players lvling into 10 or because they got pokestop submissions

1 game isnt more important than the other, you cant be reviewing just thinking in one game, all 3 games are important and must be considered, you affect a whole game or benefit one miserable linkm sorry i prefer to benefit 1 whole game and that is why if it ''fits it goes in'', because in the end links will always be able to be done in one way or another by just using another one or new alingment

because the most important thing, in the end you arent reviewing for any of the games, you are reviewing for Points of Interest and you are doing it according to the guidelines given by the company...ofc nobody gets paid here so that is why people tend to do whatever they want like denying me a church which i had to resubmit 3 times with the same pin location, same tittle, same description, same photo until it was approved and it took 4-5 months because the unlogical and unreasonable ammount of waiting time which niantic has to NOT be ok with it

• We're arguing apples and oranges here. Am I correct that your original argument was: when redacted shuts down Pokemon players will lose access to a tool that lets them move portals/pokestops, and players should be able to move these over tiny distances so long as they remain within the vicinity of the object/park?

Let me be as clear as I can be:

• I gave a reason why this is problematic... moving a portal destroys links.
    • This also creates additional workload for OPR reviewers in a system that is already backlogged.
    • I never mentioned new submissions, I'm only talking about edits to existing POI.
    • OPR does not tell us which is the original location and which is the edit, so there's no way to 'deny' moving a portal. If both locations are equally valid (such as one side of a tennis court to another), statistically you'll get a 50/50 chance of reviewers picking either location. That's likely to result in a rejection because of the way the system is set up.
    • I'm not sure why you brought up new candidates. The discussion is about edits. I too have also had what I thought were perfectly valid submissions denied such as churches, parks, and playgrounds. That's just an unfortunate side effect of the way OPR works. If you keep getting a rejection, think about ways you could make the submission better and modify your submission slightly next time.
  • PoGo players made no friends among the Ingress community when they couldn't behave themselves in graveyards. For example, we lost and 80 to 100 portal cluster in my area that would have been great to have around for any number of badge challenges. So forgive us for being salty when a portal that has existed at the entrance of a building since year two gets shifted into the middle of said building where it becomes next to impossible to get a proper GPS lock on the thing.

And make no mistake, we can often tell when the edits are to make new PoGo locations. That portal at the baseball diamond should be somewhere near the structure at home plate, not over on the edge of left field.

• Just checked, edits are sub-6% on my last ~6000 reviews. Surely it's not that big of a workload - and if you don't want to deal, you may just skip.

Also, it makes sense for prime edist to be updated like reviews are, and if so, portal edits should be even easier to determine. Let's wait and see (while we work the backlog)

• Previous ama it was clarrifed that Operation Portal Recon should *not* take into account Niantics other games.

If you don't like this, speak to Niantic.

Edits for the sake of editing, moving an existing poi a few feet here or there to create something in another game does harm Ingress.

Fictional example.

A BAF could have been planned, and actions taken, money spent, time lost, be it days, weeks or even years of work from agents to visit portals, move keys around the world etc, all lost, because the link plans no longer line up, all because someone shifts a portal in ingress to create a new poi in another game.

That's just not nice.

If you want more stuff in the other games, submit - only edit if it improves the existing poi's location.

• JosmanuJosmanu ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019

subjective pov regarding to ''improve poi's location''

show me that AMA, i want to read which niantic employee is so good that think other games from his own company shouldnt be taken into account when his system is even migrating and leaving behind the old stuff from redacted..prime even has the same submit process from pogo, that is an terrible employee

Your fictional example still only benfits ingress, and here is where all is broken, you focus and only focus in ingress benefit, no mater how hard or how cute you want to dress it, still is a broken way of thinking, especially when the cow is another game, not like i care about that cow but in my pov that is going from worse to worser, you need round up the stuff with good resolution for everybody, nobody is more important than other, high quality and lead companies know that, and if one is a broken leg which dont bring the income for sustain they cut it

• NineBerryNineBerry ✭✭✭✭✭

The statement was that opr should not take into account strategic value of possible pois for any game. Just apply the opr rules to decide whether it is a good candidate or not.