Retiring redacted

So I hear that all the original redacted users will get a new badge. Not really but that’d be cool #compromise

Comments

• MaliciousWolfMaliciousWolf ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019

I actually came on here to just suggest this, would be cool if users who played on Redacted before it was retired got access to a badge titled "Redacted" in memory of the app.

@Zenn I'd argue anniversary medals do not signify this, as they can be acquired from using either app, whilst OP's suggested medal would be awarded to only those whom had previously accessed and used Scanner [Redacted].

• How about a badger for those who used redacted and who successfully crossed over to the Prime universe. So, post 30 September, gained X amount of AP, hacks, links, fields or some similar measure during a defined period.

• SoylentGrienSoylentGrien ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the idea of a badger about crossing into the Prime universe. Doesn't need any stats.

• They just gave me a perfect reason to **** my day 1 sojourner. Prime is terrible and not worth playing daily.

• KadahKadah ✭✭✭

Prime is still completely unusable for me and it seems that is unlikely to improve anytime soon, so at least now I have a reason to finally quit. Ingress has been almost completely dead where I am for over a year. Even if I kept playing, it would be one sided, which is pointless since I don't need/want to grind AP again and the MU here can't affect the cell score even with as slow as the cell has become.

Ingress seemed to start sunsetting in like 2017, its been declining since, and rapidly since last year. At least here and the last few anomalies I've been to. Maybe in a year or two NIA will have it sorted out again and get players back, but it does not seem like NIA has as much investment in Ingress anymore, especially now with 2 other far more successful games.

As far as the metal, that sounds like something NIA would do. Knowing the trend in the recent badge art, I'm sure it'll be, IMO, pretty ****. Though it would be funny if it's on par with the constipated Hank badge, that's still one of the best of the worst badge art.

• Oh I've used it. Crashes, takes forever to load, works terrible in rural areas (esp with submitting portals). Two steps backwards with UI. Redacted/original version was fast and efficient.

This isn't my first rodeo. New isn't always better. I'll take efficiency and simplicity when given the choice. I was/am/still could be excited about the future of Ingress, but most people around here have fizzled out who were playing a few years ago (I'm by decent-sized cities) and if Niantic isn't listening to the major player base with the sheer # of complains and issues with the new version, it's time to do something else with my free time.

Its simple - Prime isn't ready for prime time.

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kresh42 those are good comments.

The part though about, no force sync button.

This was never intended to be in the game, it was added in classic, because it kept crashing, again, this is in the first year or so

• I had no idea about the link decay on redacted I thought that the grayish links were a bug!

• JeroenixJeroenix ✭✭✭

I disagree with this comment. I don't think all the complaints come from people who haven't used it, there is so obviously truth in these findings. I have used Prime since it came out and I agree with all points made - it looks great (after getting used to) but technically it has too many bugs. The biggest beef I have with Prime is that it has completely removed the means to quickly react to situations. It either has shut down in the background and needs to start up (taking about 5 times the loading time of Redacted), or it sits there with a "[ ]" error message or "scanner communication error" while all the action is taking place without me able to do anything. After 30 secs this clears up. My playing style has switched completely into taking down enemy portals rather than building up fields.

Let alone the slow, slow implementation of each feature. It's worth the wait, because some of them come out better than before, but I feel we're playing a beta version since it came out.

• Prime is improving day by day. there is no doubt. but, he is not beautiful, I like ingress because he is pretty. Prime is dark, he is ugly. I do not like playing with Prime. even if he has a very good function.

I think I stop playing with time.

• KadahKadah ✭✭✭

I bought a new phone with 6GB of ram earlier this year just because Prime system requirements are out of control, but somehow NIA managed to make HPWU not have this issue while having actual graphics, models and animations (I stopped playing HPWU after the second week, but it ran extremely well even on my ancient Moto). Prime runs as "fine" on the new phone, but its a pain in the thumb, buggy, crashy since several updates ago, generally annoying UX over redacted.

But no, the reason Prime is unusable for me is because it gives me a freaking migraine. This started after the effects rendering bug was fixed back in beta. I kept bug testing and reporting for months after that, but had to do so in controlled manner as normal play for more than a few minutes will mess me up for the rest of the day. I do not know how they manged to do this, it has been like 15 years since I encountered something that trigger this reaction.

• edited August 2019

Depends on your phone. My iPhone 5s takes 15 seconds to load Redacted, 90 seconds for Prime.

Somebody's going to tell me to upgrade my phone, and I accept that it needs to be upgraded soon. I'm just trying to illustrate why some people complain about loading times being very different. FWIW, apart from this loading time issue, I mostly like Prime more than Redacted.

• TheFarixTheFarix ✭✭✭✭✭

12 seconds (Redacted) vs 15 seconds (Prime). Just a 3 second difference between the two. It is such a minor difference that I don't htink it is worth complaining about.

• TheFarixTheFarix ✭✭✭✭✭

I am both happy and sad to see Redacted retired.

Happy because I no longer have to deal with Redacted crashing every time Android Auto connects or disconnects, which will never be fixed because of the discontinuation of RoboVM.

Sad because I will lose my extra 14 submission slots and the ability to submit on-site in low signal areas.

• MaliciousWolfMaliciousWolf ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019

Interesting, on my Samsung Note 8 [Redacted] takes 7 seconds to load up fully to the point I can interact with it, whilst [Prime] takes 17 seconds to load up fully to the point I can interact with it. 10 seconds is a big difference to me, but it doesn't bother me all that much as I usually try and keep Prime always running.

• I want a medal for wading through the bugs in the early days of Prime... I've been using it since launch basicly and feel underrepresented. 😩

• SoylentGrienSoylentGrien ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019

I just did a test. Redacted took 13 seconds and Prime took 17 seconds on my Galaxy S9. That was without hitting the back button on the spinning planet.

• Likewise, on my Google Pixel 2 it takes 6 seconds to load Redacted, 24 seconds to load Prime.

• Oof, that is a x4 increase in load time, that would likely irk me a bit more than my current x2 increase in load time.